Sign in to follow this  
leigh73

For Hamzah

There is much much more to a bird than its ability to talk :twisted: , what happens if your next bird doesn't talk re-home it ?????, birds do not speak on command and are not there as a show piece you have a fantastic bird in you amazon why give it up on the off chance that one will talk , a bird deserves better than that

MadMudMob adds: this topic is about this thread:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/18134-exchange-red-lored-amazon/

I think you should try to give this bird a chance. It sounds like you are already making such good progress in such a short time. You will get more satisfaction from keeping him and offering him a permanent loving home than you will from having a bird who talks. Who knows when he's totally settled with you he might surprise you by being the talking bird you so desprately want.

Why do some people think that a bird WILL talk? Surely this isnt all there is too owning a pet bird?

Please reconsider your idea of swapping your amazon for another bird...

Guest Gwydhyel

Parroty Peeps - don't forget that Hamzah is just a child - education is what is needed here, and we don't know what his/her parents think about this. I would assume that they have some input, as a twelve-year-old can't just buy a parrot and keep it without parental knowledge or approval. Maybe we should be encouraging them to guide Hamzah towards keeping Rocky and developing their relationship. Some kids do tend to get bored with pets quickly :(

There is much much more to a bird than its ability to talk :twisted: , what happens if your next bird doesn't talk re-home it ?????, birds do not speak on command and are not there as a show piece you have a fantastic bird in you amazon why give it up on the off chance that one will talk , a bird deserves better than that

I agree 110%. You are not being fair on the bird, selling it purely because it doesnt talk. Sorry but i really dislike people like you. Im *** with seeing poor birds passed from pillar to post because of people like you, buying birds as a status symbol then selling them when they realise how loud they can be etc, or in your case because it doesnt talk..

Whats your address, i will take the bird off your hands and give it a life long happy home. You dont deserve the bird.

Harsh i know, but like i said. Im fed up of people doing this.

(Edited to remove part "starred out" swear words - LAM)

i totally agree with what leigh has said....but find the above statement inapropriate to be aimed at a 12 year old and would like to see it edited....as i know if that was my child you had spoken to like that id be wanting your address.....i understand where you are all coming from, but like gwyndhel has already said...can we remember he is a child? or is this no longer a child friendly site devoted to education?

Hamzah.

I've just seen your new avatar - is that your and you amazon together?

Great little piccy.

I hope that you haven't taken the above posts too hard. The thing is that in the past we have had members come on the forum and the one singular thing that they were interested in is a parrot for its talking ability and nothing else. We have seen many of these members then become "serial parrot swappers" ie they start with one, it doesn't talk, they swap/trade "up" for another, that one doesnt talk and so on. I can think of more than one incident of this off the top of my head. Very often these parrots have had no time at all to settle with the owner and they are off again. Very very stressful for the bird as you can imagine. These owners never ever truly appreciate a parrot for the wonderful, sensitive and individual animals they are. To them they are nothing more than a feathered curiosity and never a precious member of the family.

We as parrot people get very passionate about our companion birds, they are so much more than pets. They have more to offer than talking ability. I'm not going to say that talking ability is always discounted completely as this would be hypocritical of me as it was one of the many factors that drew me to parrot keeping in the first place. That may not be seen as proper but I'm being truthful here hoping to help you understand our passion. As I got to know parrots and spend time with them I came to realise that they offer so much more than I first imagined. So much more than the ability talk. Getting to know their little ways and habits, watching their behaviours as they interact with different people and other birds. Being amazed with how they can pick up on our moods and feelings and knowing just when to snuggle up for a scritch to make you feel better.

If you were to achieve your swap - and I'm not suggesting that should or will happen - but if you did there is every chance that the talking parrot would never utter a word with you - or never be the talking bird it was with his previous owners. No parrot, no matter its talking pedigree, is ever guaranteed to say another word.

Please reconsider your wish to swap. The trust and relationship you can build with your parrot will be one of the most precious you can have. You sound as if you care for your parrot deeply from your previous postings. Give things time - nothing happens overnight with parrots - and enjoy your future together.

Please if you have any questions post away and ask. We are here to help educate each other and to share the joys of parrot keeping.

:)

Please can I ask why you are under the rehoming section twice? Have you now changed your mind on swapping your bird?

1. "Any rescue birds looking for new homes" - budige to Macaw and maybe become a good friend for your red lored amazon?

2. "Exchange Red Lored Amazon" - for talking/tame bird?

I am confused?

We have been in touch both on and off the forum.

Please keep in touch.

I have Amazons that are older than yours who speak and act wonderfully.

I am away on leave untill 14th July, but living as close as I do to you, I am very willing to collect you. Bring you home to see what can be achieved with love and time. Help you any way I can, teach you all you want to learn and generally provide support for you and your bird.

na it wasnt that i just got a bit angry cose it bit me on ma index finger and i was suffering in shcool lol this thing is a talking machine lol trust meh but were bonded now and i can leave it love it 2 much

People i dnt care if a bird talks or not rockys a talking machine i just got a bit angry beacuse it nipped ma index finger and i was suffring in shcool 3 weeks now were tottaly bonded