Sign in to follow this  
Rachel's Mum

Anyone have any dealings with PDD? SAD OUTCOME :(

Hello Donna.

I am so sorry may Rachel find a happy home at rainbow bridge after her short life here.

Donna having just found out that this is your second Galahs to die and the 3rd bird in such a short time and that your last Galahs died with heavy blood loss from his beck and nostrils I think you really need a post mortem,

Sadly some illnesses like tuberculosis are transmissible to humans and very dangerous more so with you being heavily pregnant.

Rachel has only been buried a short time, I would put him in your fridge and arrange a PM as fast as possible.

Please do not take risks with yours and your child's health.

I have just recived this from my vet.

Hi June,

Thanks for letting me know. I would strongly advise a post mortem,

especially if there are other psittacine birds in the house, ideally

with samples of liver , kidney, heart and lung sent for histopathology.

Other than that I will await more details.

I'm so sorry to hear about Rachel. You certainly were trying for him. I would agree about a pm though. It could really help in the long run.

Oh hun I am so sorry, I havent posted on this, but have read it everytime a new posting comes on. I had been wishing as everyone else had for a better result than this..

My thoughts are with you at this time x

RIP Rachel, fly free little one xx

Thank you very much for all your kind words. We've just got back from our Honeymoon and the house is very quiet without Rachel around. I've found this week quite difficult and keep picturing Rachel's little face when I go to sleep ... he's one bird I'll never ever forget and even though we only had him for 2 years, I feel like he was a part of my life forever and will cherish all my memories.

The bird room has been completely fogged with F10 and my cockatiel seems fine and neither Hubby or I are showing any signs of any kind of illness so I really don't think it was something that's transmissible to humans. Rachel is at peace now and today we received the cheque from the insurance company for his death. It's so sad and so final, but he truly was brave until the very end :cry:

Hi, there.

So glad to hear that the rest of you appear to be unaffected by this illness; that is the one saving grace.

Two years may not be long but it was a lifetime for Rachel and your memories of him will last you yours.

Don't know what else to say, so I'll just send you a big hug.

Debs x

Thanks Debs. I've been out and bought some nice photo frames today and am going to print off A4 photos of both Rachel and Rocky and hang them in the centre of the bird room. We're going to turn it into a dining room as only have Ollie in there now and it's so bare. Everybody will always know though that my beloved little babies lived in there...

It's been a few weeks since I posted but I am getting used to life without Rachel and Rocky. I still miss them both dearly and have printed off some lovely photos of them and have them up on the wall in the bird room ... soon to be our dining room. My cockatiel still appears to be in good health and it is really only this past week that he has started to act his usual self. He had been very subdued since we lost the other two.

I just thought I'd let you know what the blood results showed as I've been sent the money from the insurance company and a full report by the vet was included.

This is what it says (hope somebody can shed some light):

Low wcc = 0.5

Sl. elevated CK = 393

AST = 856

Uric acid = 444

TP = 24

Alb = 7

Now the only thing there I recognise is the white cell count and it has in brackets that the range is normally 3.9-13.5 so Rachel's was very, very low. What do the others symbolise?

Thanks in advance everyone xx

to interpret them i would need the normal ranges for the birds, the low white cell count would mean that the little fella was what we call in humans neutropoenic this means there were very few white blood cells to fight off any infection.