Sign in to follow this  
Rachel's Mum

Anyone have any dealings with PDD? SAD OUTCOME :(

Thanks Ruby and Jenny :)

June, apparently only a few of the bloods had come back (no idea which ones) and they didn't really tell her anything... I still have no idea what she's tested though other than the white cell count

OK so we only lasted 1 1/2 - 2 hours between feeds that time without him going near his pellets. He was going mad in his dish and so I've just given him some more formula and he ate no end again!! I guess though that I can expect him to get hungrier until he's back to a reasonable weight can't I? Now that I'm finally get some nutrients into him?

It's shocking that your vet, as an animal health care professional, has so little apparent understanding of the worry and distress you are going through as a loving owner of a clearly sick bird. As you're paying (I'm sure no small price) for the blood tests you should be made fully aware of what they are for and why they are necessary.

I do hope you and Rachel have better luck with your next vet.

Why are all the good vets always so far away....

:twisted: could it not also be said ------ why do people needing the top avian vets live so far from them

We're very lucky to have two excellent avian vets (Matt Brash in York and James Harcourt-Brown in Harrogate) both just over an hour away.

Thanks Caron! Louise doesn't deserve to be a vet as her people skills leave lots to be desired and it doesn't appear she actually cares about the animals she's treating either. Disgusting!!

I couldn't agree with you more, Stormbird! There's downsides to living out in the sticks...

Any Vet lacking people skills should move into research. How can the owner offer best care when stressed by lack of comunication.

When Rosie was hospitalised Craig call me personally 3 time a day with general reports. When she came home she has learnt ' Hello Girl and how are we today' very clearly his voice which left me in no doubt of the care she had.

Pulling for you and your baby. Begining to sound like you are on the right track.

I guess though that I can expect him to get hungrier until he's back to a reasonable weight can't I? Now that I'm finally get some nutrients into him?

I hope so Donna, I think so? if you are getting food in and he is metabolizing it, he will feel better in himself, and be looking for more of the thing that is easy for him to get down, and keep down.

Looks like you will be doing a lot of that feeding, I am so glad you have found a way.

ps agree with the last few posts...Also the vet being less that helpfu with you carrying a baby...stress enough in itself....Mr Stormbird I thought the same just did not put into words.

And continued best wishes, good luck.

i really hope alan can help poor rachel also donna and mark this should be one of the best times in there life and with so much sadness around its so unfair they all need a break and we all know how much rachel is loved not only by donna and mark but by us all here he is becoming a little well known bird bless him

keep up the good work donna hun were all here behind you wishing the best outcome possible

Thank you so, so much! You're all really lovely and I'm so glad I have people to talk to whilst we're going through this... :D

The handfeeding has been going well again today, but Rachel now won't touch his pellets. I've been worrying about how he'll eat all day when we're both at work, but have found a solution! I can make up some handrearing mix and put the cup (he won't touch it out of his own dish) in his feeder and he's quite happy feeding himself. Here's a vid:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v88/Donna_T/?action=view&current=100_2125.flv

As you can see, he's still unsteady on his feet, but he looks more alert in his eyes! I'm now uploading another video so you can see that he is headbanging and things today (although flapping his wings an awful lot). He hasn't had such a vague look in his eyes and has been demanding tickles all day long and blowing the biggest kisses I've ever heard!!

well compard to his first vid donna although like you said he is still flapping but not as much i would say and he seems to be getting to his food better lets hope things are on the upward slope for you all especially rachel

kisses for the little man he sure is a little fighter

I actually think he's flapping more when he's away from the dish, but he's been so much more active and alert these past couple of days. His feet aren't curling in as much as they were so that's got to be a good sign! I'm now making him a warm mix of formula to give him before bed and then he can go in his travel box for the night. He's had an active day and is yawning so it's almost time to sleep for him. I'll keep everyone up to date with his progress and hopefully this other vid will hurry up and finish uploading because I'm ready to hit the sack too! xx

well i do see a change in him from the other vids at the start donna i really really hope you get him sorted soon

no worries over the email i been checking forum all day to see how he is doing can go get my shower and bed now i know your all ok lol

Ah bless you!!! I'll give you an update tomorrow night when I'm home from work, but I'm confident Rachel will get enough food into him throughout the day and will be just as lively as he has been. I'm also going to try to weigh him each morning to see if he's gaining any weight.

His crop was very full when we went to feed him, so he didn't take much but here's the other vid I was talking about: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v88/Donna_T/?action=view&current=100_2133.flv

His eyes are so bright and alert!! :D

Night hun xx

I've had a reply from Alan:

Certainly still fits with chronic liver disease, the leg swelling could have been gout following kidney damage (or a tight leg ring!), and many of the signs do suggest PDD. Doesn't sound like a very good prospect for the long-term, I'm afraid. the next step would be endoscopy to check out proventriculus, liver, and kidneys - nothing beats actually looking at the organs!!

AKJ

I also had an interesting conversation today with a lovely man at the Bird Care Co. Rachel's Special Needs Diet arrived but I wanted to check how much to mix if I was giving the handrearing formula. He said that in 70% of cases presented to him with neurological signs, a substantial calcium deficiency has been the route of the cause. He said that with PDD it's always a guess made on behalf of the vet and it's not always a correct diagnosis. He is sending me out some Calcivet and said that we need to administer 0.5ml 5 days out of the 7 and within a week or two, the neurological signs should disappear if it is down to lack of calcium. If not, we can persevere with the Special Needs Diet and Kaytee and work out the best ratio for Rachel.

Louise also phoned and left a message to say that the Cerebrex has arrived and is in the post to me and that the bloods came back showing a viral infection and inflammation. She said it's good in a way because nothing else is showing up, but it does still point towards the possibility of PDD and all we can do is start giving the Cerebrex and hope for the best.

After Alan's email, I'm not really sure what to think. I'm going to stay positive though and am going to give the diet and Calcivet a go and hope for the best possible outcome!!

Calcivet is a good supplement many of us use and the folk at BirdCareCo have a reputation of being helpful.

This thread might give an idea or two? ....

CALCIVET - HOW DO YOU USE YOURS?

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/4573-no-subject/

Cherries are good for gout - there's a thread about them in this feeding biggy .....

LINKS TO ASSORTED FEEDING THREADS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/4475-links-to-assorted-feeding-threads%c2%a9/

from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

I am sorry i can't help, but Rachel's eating I am so glad for you all.

Could you try soaking a few pellets and see if he will eat them that way.

I know it is all a bit tricky with the hot weather and leaving moist food all day.

Could anyone go home or someone come in mid day to change it?

You seem to have so much advice now, it is hard to know which to do for the best.

Good Luck, tell Rachel to keep up the good eating.

In a way, I'm actually glad he's preferring the formula to his pellets because I'm still not 100% convinced the pellets haven't contributed to the issue. The formula seems to keep quite well - I gave him fresh at 8am when I left for work and Hubby changed it at 4pm when he got home. It had only gone very slightly watery and Rachel seemed content. Luckily the room the birds are in doesn't get all that hot during the day because the sun is more towards the back of the house.

I have had a lot of advice and it's hard to take it all in and decide what to do, but I think I'll stick with the Kaytee, Special Needs Diet, Cerebrex, Calcivet and cherries for now and see how we get on. I don't think I'll take Rachel to see Alan until we're back off hols because I'd rather give the other things a try first before we have invasive procedures done.

I am really struggling to cope. Rachel's Celebrex and Calcivet arrived on Wednesday so he's had 2 days worth and he seems to be getting weaker. He fell off his top perch today head first ... landed in his water head first and then fell to the floor. I can't stand seeing him suffer in such a way. I had been giving him handrearing mix and Special Needs whilst I was at work, but his feathers have got in such a state that he's now bald down his chest and he seems to be over-indulging because his crop was so full last night that it was sticking out of the back of his neck!!

I really just don't know what to do. I'm seriously sinking and feel so down and upset. I'm not doing our Baby any good - I can't sleep at night and I'm constantly being a nasty piece of work to Hubby. He still wants me to have him put to sleep because he's concerned by how the stress is affecting me and will affect Bubs....

Why is life so hard? This should be one of the happiest times of my life and it's been dominated by stress and heartache :cry:

So sorry to hear this. :(

I really don't have much to suggest as I have no knowledge of this sort of problem and would only be stabbing in the dark.

Have you rung Alan again? Your own Vet Louise?

Perhaps drop Jebirds (June) or Krisjv and email here? They are far more knowledgable on these matters than I, as a lot of members here are.

xx