Sign in to follow this  
JemJem

Journey of my baby Lulu's first chick :D

How can a vet tell how many eggs are going to be layed #-o a parrot will only lay one egg usually every other day when shes due to lay the first egg the third egg will not be there yet :shock:

I was wondering that too, having seen diagrams of how it's "done".

Also for them to be fertile Max, has to do his bit each day.

N.B. they usually lay every other day and dont sit for the first couple of eggs. (Unless Gary says different I'd have thought Conures average 5 eggs)

Oh right.... well the vet took her weight and worked out how heavier she was than last time she was weighed , which is about 15 grams.

He then said im suspiscious theres a few eggs in there .... and then he took her away and said yes there is no doubt that shes going to lay in the next few days and said about 3. Then he gave me some more calcium and gave me more advice.

Max is still doing "his bit" a few hundred times a day, well ok, maybe 10 or 12 lol

I havent checked in the nest box this morning but they are both in there. Max is sitting peeping his head out the hole screaming at anyone that walks past.

now im worried, if the 3 eggs shouldnt be there all together she isnt egg bound is she? surely the vet should know that?

Oh right.... well the vet took her weight and worked out how heavier she was than last time she was weighed , which is about 15 grams.

He then said im suspiscious theres a few eggs in there .... and then he took her away and said yes there is no doubt that shes going to lay in the next few days and said about 3. Then he gave me some more calcium and gave me more advice.

Max is still doing "his bit" a few hundred times a day, well ok, maybe 10 or 12 lol

I havent checked in the nest box this morning but they are both in there. Max is sitting peeping his head out the hole screaming at anyone that walks past.

Do you think he maybe meant will due to lay in about 3 days? Or did he definately say 3 eggs?

Do you think he maybe meant will due to lay in about 3 days? Or did he

definately say 3 eggs?

it was just the way he sorta worked out how much weight she had put on .....not sure really though...maybe?

and still no eggs just one big bulge! trying to get a pic of it

Ive had Green Cheeked lay from 3 to 9 eggs....5 being the average....some hens can look very ill and fluffed up just prior to laying the first egg so dont worry if she does.

With her being indoors its very unlikely she will become eggbound ...Ive noticed it only with birds in the colder weather.

Have you any Calvivet or similar you could give her...this tends to help a lot...just in case she lays a large clutch!....If you need a bit drop me a line & ill pop some in the post :wink:

We should have done a sweep on the first egg being laid :lol:

haha we should have done a sweep lol

gary ive got some zolcal is that good enough you think?

THERES AN EGG!!!!!!!!!

I came in the room about an hour ago (been leaving the room quiet for them)

They both jumped out the next box. then i lifted the lid up slightly, and there it is, a very white roundedy egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I was worried she came out the box to see me, but when i left the room she was back in there and sitting on it :D:) With Maxsnuggled up next to her!!!!

OHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

EGGGGG ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Maybe another one a day or so?

Is it okay if she doesnt sit on the egg ALL the time?[/b]

dont worry jem, incubation probably wont start with the first egg, but she will start sitting tightly from the second maybe third egg

edited to say, congrats hun, :D ........................ nd stop worrying :lol:

cheers alan .... so do you think the first egg will be unsuccessful? and at one point do i "check" the egg is fertile?

Well done Lulu!

Do be careful if you candle the egg - too much movement is not good!

thanks net , that reminds me of something, lulu seemed to be pushing it around a tiny bit and then sitting on it

cheers alan .... so do you think the first egg will be unsuccessful? and at one point do i "check" the egg is fertile?

who knows jem :roll: maybe they will all be fertile :D but maybe not.

personally with this being their first time i would justl eave them to it, you wont see much unless you have a candler or an egg buddy