Little Als Mum

Allergic Alveolitis - Support Thread

Hugs to you, Sue. I'm so very sorry to hear this. :cry: :cry: :cry: Everything crossed that you don't have to rehome them. xxxxxxxx

Sue - do you have an air purifier?

OK i am after some help and advice, IF i have to look at doing something to help with the bird dust etc i am thinking of maybe rehoming SOME of my flock and have already had offers for 2 of them :cry: :cry: but i am reluctant to rehome Charlie (only as a very very very last resort) as he is such a timid thing and has settled so well in the 5 years that i have had him.

So my question to any of you that have them or that have tried them if you suffer with your chest, which is the best air filter, the one i have is only a cheap one and i would have to save for a good one but would do it if i have to and secondly do they work?

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Hey hun

I have 2, one from Rob Harvey (Trion) and the other is called an air free. They do take a lot of the dust and I notice when they're being cleaned. I hate saying it but IF you do have alveolitis then no filter will be able to help enough. I'm really keeping everything crossed for you *hugs* xxx

Sue, sorry for the pm I sent you.. I know see what you are getting at.. I have the Rob Harvey one and also a small JML globe thing.. They do work and cut down the dust alot...

So very very sorry to read that you arent well hun, my thoughts are with you and all the rest of you that are suffering this at the moment.....

Well i have been back to the respiritory clinic today and i am not sure now where i stand with the whole bird keeping thing. I suppose that in a way it is good neews for the time being but not sure how it will pan out long term.

The problem is that you see a different doctor every time you go but today i saw the boss man and he isnt convinced that the birds are the MAIN cause of my problems but ARE a contributing factor. He has said that he isnt going to make me give up the birds at this time but has asked that i consider cutting down to maybe just 1 bird. The test has come back possitive for allergic aviolitis but it isnt a strong possitive?????, i have to stop taking the steroid tablets and go onto steroid inhalers till i go back in 4 months and to try to limit my contact with the birds and keep using the air filter (which incidently he was impressed with). Limiting my contact isnt hard where Charlie is concerned as he would rather be left to his own devices as long as he knows that you are there he is happy but Chi is not going to like that as he loves people and likes to be 'with' you.

So while on the whole it is a better result than i was expecting it still leaves me with decisions to be made but at least i dont have to decide straight away but can take my time and see how things progress. The main thing that i have to keep an eye on (besides my health) is how Chi reacts to being in the other room and not constantly with me, so i will be monitiring his health and wellbeing closely but on the whole i think that i am feeling happier about things than i was.

Well, a more positive result than I imagined. Glad the doctor's impressed with the air filter. :D How dusty is Chi? Does he like showers? I noticed with Kobe regular showers really keep the dander down. Kobe is way more dusty now because he's moulting badly.

Your weak positive result sounds like Kobe's psittacosis test... he always tests a weak positive because he's been exposed to it at some point in his life, but has built his own immunity to it.

I was given a tip the other day by someone suffering from a lung disorder - she said to mist the newspapers with water before changing them... it really cuts down on the airborne particles.

I'm glad you are happier about things than you were. Fingers crossed things will get better and you can keep both birds.

Yes i was given that tip with the papers too but also i have got some dust masks that i wear when i clean them out in the mornings, lets just hope that it is all worthwhile but i have to give it every chance

Well i have been for my breathing and respiratory test again today and while i have to wait for my appointment to see the consultant to confirm this the girl that did the test compared them to last times results and my breathing is better and more importantly my lung fuction is much improved. woohoo. Now i know i could not run a marathon the function that i have at the moment is suitable for me and my life ( i have limitd mobility anyway due to my joints and general pain)so i am hoping that the consultant is pleased enough to tell me that the birds can stay.

Been to respiritory clinic this afternoon to be put through my paces, they are reasonably pleased with me and say that compared to my breathing at the beginning of the year i am doing much better, although i still have the allergic aviolitis diagnosis for the time being they are happy to let me keep the birds

So i am a happy bunny, go back in january

Hi thats fantastic news, I have developed a nasty allergic reaction to our Judy and it has really knocked me down and i'm going for more tests tomorrow for allergic aviolitis diagnosis. my husband and i had a long talk about her and i just can't get near her any more to give her the love she needs (especially as she doesn't like him anymore) It breaks my heart to say we are seriously looking for a new home for her as i feel Judy is not getting the attention she deserves.

I am glad you are doing well and you can still keep your lovely feathered friends

That's brilliant news Sue - do you think that it's down to the air purifier? Whatever the reason, I'm so relieved you can keep your birds. :D:D:D

So sorry to hear your news Jagos12, it breaks your heart.

Yes Fuzz i think that the air filter is the big thing that has helped me and i do try and limit the time i spend too close to the birds (no trouble woth Charlie CAG as he doesnt like me anyway lol)

Thanks LAM and Marion

I  still come back to this topic now and again. It's really good when I see no new people coming down with this horrible disease. How are you coping in this heat? I've been really struggling the last few days, I still yearn for a parrot but my lungs soon tell me not to be stupid!! Oh and the fact Rubes threatened to kill me if I did <g>

Edited by kerenza

Just a quick note in case anyone is still reading here.

Well, several years on and I've still got the parrots outside.

Yes, I'm a bit wheezy on the days after I clean them out. They usually get cleaned once a week, floor washed down and poop etc scraped up whilst wetted down, no problem in all of the rain!

Love and hugs to all my friends who also live with alveolitis.

And ......... Despite my reservations the parrots have not yet eaten their way out of the wooden framed aviary. YET!