Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy'sMum

Poorly DuCorps :(

Hello,

New to this, so not sure where to post. If in the wrong place, could somebody move for me.

Will try to keep it brief, Lol

Just over a month ago became Mum to Gypsy, a 2yr old DuCorps, who's owners no longer had anytime for her/couldn't cope.

She had started to pluck under her wings, and in two places had started mutilating herself :(

I've had experience with parrots before, but not with Too's, but couldn't just leave her there.

Since coming to live with us, I've kept her on her normal diet of TidyMix, but she's now getting Calciform and Vitacel daily as well. She's reluctant to eat fruit & veg, but enjoys cooked pulses and rice, and is starting to try millet.

She also enjoys chicken occasionally.

She doesn't enjoy being sprayed, so I bathe her with cotton wool balls, soaked in warm water with a small amount of listerine.

I have ordered F10SC disinfectant and ointment (as recommended on here, Thank You :) )

What else can I do, or feed her to help her. Touch wood, the plucking appears to have stopped, every now and then she worries the wound, which is slowly healing, but she hates the colour red, so if she starts to bleed, it's a vicious circle. I don't want to have to put a collar on her, the one thing I have found is a small dot of Vaseline stops the chewing.

And one last question, she still makes her baby noise, one of the reasons why I think she was up for rehoming, old owners didn't like, is this normal for a 2yr old (she's 3 in August) all I could find was that she will grow out of it, but I'm worried in case she's asking for something else, other than a cuddle.

She is the most sweet natured and gentle Too I have ever come across, and I want to help her as much as I can

Sorry to go on so much :oops:

Thank you for reading this

Hayley xxx

Posted Image to the Parroty Place, Gypsy'sMum. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Well done you for helping this bird Posted Image

Here's a thread on the basics of plucking that has a link to a thread by Jebirds who is extremely knowledgeable on helping 'Too's recover from plucking. It may give you some tips and Jebirds is always willing to help so do send her a PM if you'd like more help ....

PLUCKING AND/OR SNIPPING FEATHERS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6673-plucking-andor-snipping-feathers/

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

as usual a load of info for to digest from mmm but 2 further comments

by "tidymix " having looked at their product range I`m assuming that you mean their parrot food ? ------ if so perhaps you should look at this

http://www.double-dutch.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=133

As for the "baby noises" `toos do mature much later than other Psittacines but other `too keepers would be better able to advise you on that !

I have no experience on too's but you have made a good start with the treatment,jebirds will help you im sure.You sound like you love her and thats the most important treatment after neglect..........well done and good luck

Hi Gypsy'sMum,

First I would stop the tidymix at once, a Ducorps will live very well on cockatiel seed and millet sprays plus some human food :lol: although the human food is not necessary, but animal protein i.e. chicken etc about once a week is needed.

The tidymix is for parrots (although I wouldn't feed it to mine) and not for a cockatoo one or two steps up from a cockatiel.

The F10sc ointment is good but I wouldn't put Vaseline on a bird as it can be very messy and would not be nice if they ingest it.

You will more than likely find a warm meal of baby food fed by spoon (once a day)will help her feel more settled and will help with bond between you, also offer her fruit and veg plus a bit of toast first thingin the morning as she is more than likely going to eat it then rather than after her seed.

And then you need to be sure you are not using anything that can affect her, i.e. air fresheners. strong washing powder, conditioner (of any kind) in your wash, perfume etc. MMM can put up a list of things bad for birds.

Give it a week or two and I would expect to see a difference.

Posted Image *Waves to Jebirds*

This will help you identify anything not good for our birds' surroundings, Gypsy'sMum ...

COMMON POISONS AND TOXINS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6064-common-poisons-and-toxins/

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

I have never kept Toos of any sort but it is true to say that many of the species commonly kept, the white Toos, are generally overfed and common commercial "parrot mixes" are totally unsuitable. I would agree with the advice given and endorse the value of millet sprays as these will keep a parrot occupied for ages.

Sadly the "baby noises" may indicate that this bird was "force-weaned" therefore it needs comfort foods as described.

the poor baby. i have no experience of toos but it sounds like you're doing your best for her. jebirds really is one the best too people on the forum and i have no doubt she'll help as much as she can.

what parrots have you had before? have you got any others now?

"Nutricrunch" mixed with a good cockatiel mix would make a good diet for most Toos.

This bird has eaten nothing but millet sprays and a small amount of human food for the last 3 years. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/jebirds/peawee4.jpg[/img]

And he was fully plucked when he came to me.

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for the welcome, and all the advice. That is a beautiful looking 'Too you have there Jebirds

Have read through the list of poisons and toxins, and there were a few there I didn't know about, but thankfully,

we have not been unintentionally harming here, well maybe except with her diet :(

Will start her on Cockatiel food tomorrow morning, have plenty of that here, and will consign her TidyMix to the bin,

commonly known as Chickens, Hehe

Which type/brand of Baby food would you recommend Jebirds, I have some Ready Brek and Rice Milk, and I could add her vitamins to it,

here if that's any good, if not, will get some tomorrow

Haven't kept parrots myself before, never had the time for them, but used to Parrot sit all my friends and families birds.

Have always loved Parrots, but wasn't fair to get one before.

At the moment, just have Gypsy, Tigger & Tamba (2 Cockatiels) and 15 chickens, I love anything feathered, Lol.

That's all for now, will see how Gypsy gets on, and then maybe look to getting another feathered friend later on in

the year.

Once again, Thank you all so much, this is a great Parroty Place :)

Hi ready brek and rice milk would be great, they like it quite warm :lol:

Please lets us know how you get on.

June

Peewee (the Ducorp) is an untame male that lives free in my front room and has done so since the day he arrived.

You can see more of him on my PB. :lol:

Hi June,

Well, mission accomplished :)

Made her Ready Brek up, offered it on a spoon, and then she started to bob her head, and cry like a little babby, Aww :oops: it went everywhere, Lol

Once we manged to get the co-ordination right, managed to eat half a teaspoon full, then ran off up the back of the sofa,

and cleaned her beak, all over the sofa, Hehe

Re heated food for her, and she managed another half tsp.

Have cleaned her up, and she's now sitting on my lap, all snuggled up, grinding her beak, one happy parrot

Will spoon feed her every night now before bed, would she be ok to try diferent flavours, or is plain best?

Thank you xxx :D

She sounds very happy now she's full of Ready Brek. That's so lovely to hear and it's made me smile. I bet you're smiling "too". LOL

Thank you

Alison :D

Hi different flavours and baby food even mash etc, make it nice and warm you can put vitamins etc in it. Anything soft gooey and warm really.

You may find that like Chicken she eats quite a lot after a while (chicken still has a hot feed every night and eats about 3/4 spoonfuls).

I look forward to some pictures of her (I am just nosey :lol: )

Chicken is fine and is now living out all the time like Peewee,she has chewed a bit at the moment (breeding season :lol: ) but she is a totally changed bird, loves coming and snuggling up and playing.

Just caught up with this, and am so pleased to say this too found her way to someone as caring as you!

And Jebirds your boy looks very handsome, I darent show the pic to Pixie lol :)

Going back to the baby noises, I read on a site quite a while back that for a well rounded cockatoo they should be parent reared for two years. Ive asked this question on here before, as it is something I would like to know, but it never got answered :(.

It makes sense to me. If they have to be sold as pets atall.

Pixie was 2 when she came to us and had definately already her "issues" in place by then so had not been parent reared then "tamed".

Can anybody shed some light on this? Cockatoo breeders/sellers?

I too have just picked up this thread and as always concur with all advice given by Jebirds. A forced- weaned Too can be a very sad little soul.

I have had to many cross my path over the years. I had a wonderful little bare-eye come to me for help. She had been rescued and was about 4 years old and all but featherless and severlly mutilated.

We took her right back to baby hand rear and started the whole weaning process from scratch. Took a little over a year to gradually transfer her on to a proper diet and sort out the feathers, but in the end she became the most handsome well adjusted birdie.

God Bless her carer's who took on the mamoth task with absolutely no idea how they were going to care for her.

The cruelty ignorance inflicts never fails to amaze me. Once again the forum scores for our feather family.

Guest linds

well jaffa and ruby got some baby food last night and they ate the whole jar :shock: honest I do feed them lol.

me and james sat down late with a lively lamb korma and jaffa had the absolute cheek to dive down the cage and run as fast as he could over to us :roll: little mr. got put right back in.

I can't believe how much my 2 eat, it's disgraceful, you'd think they were starved and neglected. must be good the vet said he hadn't seen an ekkie female as nice as my rubes for a long time. of course that's because little missy sits and does hee haw all day while jaffa the scruffpot is into everything.

Listen to jebirds she'll help you out so much and as said before is one of the best on here for advice.

Morning Everyone,

No real change here thankfully, Gypsy's still leaving her wounds alone, have decided to spoon feed her twice a day, before

lunch, and then before bed, and see how we get on from there. She's still making the baby noise constantly, just hope that by spoon

feeding her, it will help her settle.

Yet another question, sorry. F10 has turned up this morning, what is the best dilution for F10SC, It says general disinfection is 2ml, and High level is 4ml, don't want to make it too strong, worried about it burning her, but too weak would be silly too.

And is it safe to use three times a day, or would twice be enough? Maybe use this twice, and then Savalon at Lunch.......Help

It's just that where it's healing, it looks really itchy, you know what it's like when you have a scab, don't want her chewing it again

One more question, then that's it, trying to sprout Millet, have soaked it overnight, now, best on windowsill, or in airing cupboard.

Thank you once again :D

Hayley xxx

P.S Will try to work out how to use Photo Bucket, have some photo's of Gypsy now

I have found that on some of my birds F10 has shown some bad reactions. Make it on the min. and use for 4/5 days to see how that goes. If tolerated well you can then make a little stronger.

I am always careful to keep the spray very local to the site where it is needed. I have a really bad asthma reaction if i breath it in and as such always try to keep away from my birdie lungs.

Not going to use a spray, she's absolutely terrified of them, think she used to be sprayed/squirted to try and keep her quiet :(

What I was going to do, was wash her down as normal, and then use the diluted F10 on a cotton wool ball, she's happy being washed that way :)

Will try with the weaker solution, and see how she gets on