Sign in to follow this  
archie's mum

new toys

am i the only 1 who goes to the shop spends ages picking out new toys for archie come home all excited only for him to totally ignore it? he has had a new swing hanging from the ceiling for three weeks now and still wont go anywhere near it!, theres another toy -its a piece of branch type thing with treats in it i had to take it out of his cage cause he wouldnt even come out as it was near his door lol. yet buy him any ragger type of toy and he's in there like a shot lol.and he didnt mind wrecking my brand new mobile :roll: he quite enjoyed taking the buttons off lol. are there any tips when buying new toys?

no because you can never guess what they will or wont like and they move the goal posts when you get close, you can never tell what they will or wont like but thats parrots for you lol!

Alot of birds wont tolerate new things in there cage.................at first..........when we buy new ones we leave them on the window sill near his cage for 2 weeks which can help.Some birds though wont accept new things period.Our grey is like this,if we buy him the exact same toy he will after a while be fine but a different one and theres no chance.I have been told to take the ''youll get over it approach'' and leave it in with him flapping around like a mad thing and spending all his time at the opposite side of the cage but i wont force anything on a bird,if its making him miserable or uneasy it comes out

Tom can be encuraged to play with new toys if i dont give them to him stright away. If i sit and play for a while he becomes interested and tries to steal it off me. I worked when i first got him a large bell. I hear nothing but ringing now........ maybe i have titanus? (sp)

lol archie has a bell if my hubby is eating something that archie thinks he should be sharing and isnt he will ring the bell run over to hubby and wait for a bit he repeats this till he gets some - its murder if its something he cnt have lol

Im lucky with my bird. He gets so excited with a new toy he flys over and insists on helping me with the unwrapping of it so he can play with it immediately, he is so impatient. He's not phased by anything and loves new toys. :D

I bought him one of those Pinata things yesterday and he was onto it immediately :D

My old OW Amazon hated toys. He refused to play with them and the only thing he would play with was his bell that had wooden blocks on it. He loved that toy to bits even when it was falling apart. Everything else in his cage used to remain untouched. Funny bird :?

My mums TAG is like that, wont go near new toys for ages and ages.

All four of ours aren't phased at all by new toys luckily.

They can't wait to get at 'em and investigate.

When we brought Robbie home we were told he was your "typical" grey - ie nervous and wary of new things - but I feel having the other 3 showing him that those toys aren't as scary as he thinks has been a great tonic.

Mine doesnt like new toys, I've been stuck with giving mine just straws and the toys that I originally put in before he moved in, so he is used to those. He doesnt really welcome new toys. I bought a jukebox and put it in his cage and he started growling at it and looking at it like it was gonna hurt him or something :?

Anyone have any ideas how I'm going to introduce new toys to him? :roll:

By the way I took the jukebox away now, I don't want him to feel uncomfortable and avoid that part of the cage just because of it (I even showed him it was harmless by pressing the jukebox button for music)

when i have a new toy for mine, i play with it a bit first in sight of them and then it goes on the playstand before it goes in the cage. sometimes i'll hang it on the outside of the cage so they can see it and get close to it but there's a barrier so they don't feel too intimidated.

are there any tips when buying new toys?

I don't think there is, every parrot is an individual. Mine doesn't go near the jukebox or anything that has weird looking faces or actually.. new toys period. I get excited too when ordering his new toys but soon as I get them he doesnt even touch or play with them. The toys that were there when he first moved in stays and anything new goes >.< I'm trying to encourage him to play new toys by leaving them around the room or to put them on his play gym :roll:

when i have a new toy for mine, i play with it a bit first in sight of them and then it goes on the playstand before it goes in the cage. sometimes i'll hang it on the outside of the cage so they can see it and get close to it but there's a barrier so they don't feel too intimidated.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do too. I was playing the jukebox in front of him and he was tilting his head listening to it but once it's in the cage he don't like it. I'm going to try and put it in his play gym. It's such a shame not to like the jukebox.

This might help? ....

SAFE/UNSAFE TOYS, CAGES ETC = WARNING AND INFO©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/9001-safeunsafe-toys-cages-etc-warnings-info/

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

and this is a brilliant book well worth getting ....

"PARROT TOYS AND PLAY AREAS"

by Carol S D'Arezzo and Lauren Shannon-Nunn

ISBN 0-9678820-0-1

available from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0967882001/qid=1136981706

Here's what the back cover says....

Providing activities for "Birdie Buzz-Saws" and "Avian Einsteins" can be a challenging task! Pet bird owners are forever on the lookout for new play ideas. That's what this book is all about.

Companion parrot owners will find practical advice, safety tips, and loads of ideas for toys and play areas. There are suggestions for easy-to-make toys as well as plans for detailed play area projects.

Why parrots need to play - how this makes them healthy, happy pets.

Learn your bird's play style and find out what kind of toys he/she really likes.

Make parrot toys selection fun and easy with the 11 parrot toy categories.

Loads of ideas for fun and inexpensive parrot toys.

Instructions for building exciting play stands and play areas.

Guidelines for setting up play areas to maximize safety and play-ability.

... and much more.

from ...

PARROTY BOOKS WORTH A READ©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/3670-no-subject/

= again, from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

My two sennies are fine with any thing new in there cage.

But Bobby does not like any thing new in his cage. When i buy/build a new toy i have to hang it on the outside of his cage for a few days. His cage look bare compared to the sennies but he makes this awful noise when any thing new is put in and wont stop till u take it out again. The only thing u can put in his cage his cuttlefish which he loves. he does not play much with the toys he does have in his cage. he has hanging ones and foot toys.

i would love to put more toys in but anit got a chance. he also very protected of his cage when he out of his cage if u go near his cage he flys over like a shot and will go for u.

I bought a playgym and a wooden perch for my baby CAG and he is scared of the wooden perch and with the playgym he just stays at the top and doesnt play any of the swings cos he's afraid to try it. Anyone have any suggestions at all? I mean my CAG literally refuses everything, but he is still content cos he spends most the time out of the cage and seems to be happy enough just to perch on my shoulder or just flying about.