Sign in to follow this  
Flower

Should I be concerned...

Percy my BHC did a couple of strange things today... he was sitting on his perch when he seemed to lose balance and landed clumsyly at the bottom of his stand... then roughly two hours later he let out a "cry" then flew into the wall above his cage?... its been some 5 hours later since this and he seems all right now.. what could have caused this and should I be concerned with his health... should I be watching for anything?

eeeer what you describe COULD be abnormal behaviour , but without more information it is difficult to judge whether it was or not .

For a young bird toloose it`s grip & fall off it`s perch is not uncommon ,but for an older bird it`s not normal . But was your bird just resting on it`s perch or was it actively moving around because if the later it could just have been an accident .

As for the cry and flying into the wall , did something frighten him/her because when panicked birds do fly blindly . Of course the 2 incidents could be related and in which case your bird does need to see an avian vet ASAP.

As to what to look for :-

any other abnormal behaviour ?

is your bird eating & drinking properly?

what are the droppings like ?

I sounds like fright to me. Has something new been introduced into the room? Something he doesn't like? Err on the side of caution anyway, and monitor his food and water intake and his poo's for the rest of today, and if any concern take him to the vets for a check up.