Sign in to follow this  
twilighteyes

Vasa's and golden conures

Hiya, i looking into 'possibly' (very much a thought at the mo) getting a greater vasa or a golden conure. I was wondering what kind of price they go for, google doesn't seem to want to be very cooperative at the moment.

And if anyone knows where any breeders are located - though preferably i'd like to rehome one... then that would be really useful.

I have an inkling that golden conures (also known as Queen of Bavaria conures i believe) might be a little pricey but can't find anything to confirm or deny that hunch. (Saw them at Loro Parque, and both myself and my other half were very taken by them and their fun loving personalities).

Vasa's are just such funny lil guys, my friend has one thats just going into breeding season so has gone all bald!. But she's had hers for years so has no idea how much they are now.

Okie dokie.

If anyone has any info that would be great.

Thanx

Cat >^..^<

I have bred many of both,the price for Queens is around £1600 each,for Vasa's(a most underated bird)£200ea,although both species perhaps should still be in breeding projects until they are fully established,vasa's being the most at risk.

Thank you.

I thought the queens would be, but they are such sweet things. A little wishful thinking me thinks. I knew that the vasa's were having trouble in madagascar but was told that they should still be available in the uk market, but as they were one of the lesser known 'pet' birds it might be harder to find a breeder.

Are they being pooled for breeding now then? When did this happen? Is it likely that people will be selling for the pet market?

I don't want to upset a possible breeding programme, i love animals more than to do something like that. My friend with the vasa told me that they are usually in avairies and hardly anyone keeps them as pets because they are not the most colourful birds and go bald etc every year. But having met hers i couldn't understand why!

Thanx

Cat >^..^<

I had 5 breeding pairs of Vasa's,sadly although these birds breed like "Flies"in fact it is not easy to stop them breeding,there is very little interest in them,as pet birds(hand reared)they are superb but will in time get rarer and rarer until breeders(if any are left)who are interested in the conservation of them decide to take them on.

These are perhaps one of the easiest parrots i have bred both on hand rearing and many parent reared,i cannot see any reason why these are not popular.

I don't want to take them away from conservation/breeding programmes, but if anyone hears of a vasa on the pet market i would love to know about it.

I think perhaps people are a little put off by the external genitalia bit, and also i suppose they need to be known about in order to achieve any great popularity. Sad really cos they are so laid back and seem social with anyone, well, those i've read about and my experience with my friends suggest that they are.

Cat >^..^<

They are truly beautiful. But they the queens left a lasting impression on both me and my other half. They're out of my price range at the mo, but who knows what the future may bring.

Since i lost my TAG it hasn't been the same, i've got three other birds but its too quiet, and when you cut up their dinner 3rds are just not the same as quarters... theres a hole and although no bird can fill it exactly the way my burt did, they might be able to turn up the lights a little - if you know what i mean.

Ideally i think a vasa would fit in nicely, but it looks like that might a difficult bird to come by too...

Maybe another rescue would offer a suitably quirky personality... will have to think about it.

Thanx guys

Cat >^..^<

Guest Gwydhyel

I have some old copies of Parrots Magazine, and there is a 4 page article about Greater Vasa parrots in the June 2004 issue (Issues 77). It is full of really interesting information. You can get a copy from the Parrotmag website, or if you PM me your address, I can photocopy my one and send it to you. :)

Turns out that the article in the parrot mag is written about monty, the vasa that i know anyway!!! Forgotten she'd written that! Doh!

Monty is the main reason i like vasa's anyway! And, what luck, she's managed to dig out the breeders address, so we'll see soon if she's still breeding them etc...

Funny how things work out!

Guest Gwydhyel

Turns out that the article in the parrot mag is written about monty, the vasa that i know anyway!!! Forgotten she'd written that! Doh!

Monty is the main reason i like vasa's anyway! And, what luck, she's managed to dig out the breeders address, so we'll see soon if she's still breeding them etc...

Funny how things work out!

Excellent news, and a really good insight into living with a Vasa. I must admit I was tempted myself back then - they look like very interesting birds.