Sign in to follow this  
onetteselfish

hi flocks. need advices about weaning a baby african grey

i am new mammy of a baby african grey and i bought him/her without know that it wasn't yet weaned. he is with me for 3 weeks and he is 17 weeks old. i am from Romania/Bucharest and here we don't have laws like you. so i paid a lot of money for him and the breeder told me that i have to feed him only one time a wet food. he told me too that if i don't want to give him wet food it is ok but is much better to give him. so for 3 weeks i feed him like he told me and i think it is ok. now he doesn't want to eat wet food like before. i am new owner and it was so difficult for me to do it. my big chance was to read advices from your link and i pm kleopatra and she helped me a lot. here, in my country i don't find books or link to learn about breeding african grey. please help me with some advice. i don't know what food he can eat every day, what can i can give him and how often for parasite. i didn't cut his wings and he is flying a lot ans he is so happy and chatting. sometimes he is flying to windows and he hearts oneself(beak). i ask you, please help me with advices. i love him so much, he is my baby and i want to breed him health and happy.

p.s sorry for my english grammar.

HIya, should read WEANING :) You are trying to wean the baby, not Breed.

You say he's 17 weeks old? He should more or less be fully weaned by now, if he's not eating his wet food is he eating his seed? For a full and varied diet they need seed as a base food, and lots of fruit and veg as well. Good for you for keeping his wings so he can fly! :D That is wonderful. He may need some teaching to be careful of the windows. You can place colourful stickers on the window to help, so he realises that it is not an open space.

Hope this helps a little.

thank you for your advice. he eat seeds and some fruits and vegetables. he doesn't want anymore to eat from the tea spoon; he wants to eat from his dish. how can i wean him? i show him the windows and i told him many times that he can't fly through. i let him to check. now he tries to chat and sing. he is so funny and sweet. please tell me what vegetables and fruits i can give him. i can give him meat?bones? chicken meat? i have some willow stickers and i don't know if i have to take out the bark.

Hello! Your english is very good. :D

There might be some confusion over the word stickers though??

You have sticks of willow. This are very good for chewing, and there's no need to take off the bark. Just give it a good wash.

This link will show you the sort of stickers to go on windows.

:D

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/rspb/R0201/81756

Your grey sounds delightful. :D:D

thank you for your advice. he eat seeds and some fruits and vegetables. he doesn't want anymore to eat from the tea spoon; he wants to eat from his dish. how can i wean him? i show him the windows and i told him many times that he can't fly through. i let him to check. now he tries to chat and sing. he is so funny and sweet. please tell me what vegetables and fruits i can give him. i can give him meat?bones? chicken meat? i have some willow stickers and i don't know if i have to take out the bark.

If he is eating out his dish, that is good! That means that he is weaning (or may already be weaned). Offer him a variety of food at this age, and you will have a very healthy and happy little bird! Yes you can give him meat, chicken (off the bone) is good, or you can offer the chicken LEG bone (take off the small bit of the bone from the top), they will break open the bone to get to the marrow inside and it is very good for them./

Stickers, CGM has explained perfectly!

And I agree, your english is very good! :D

I hink you could do with a copy of my care sheet, when i have time i will type it(its many sheets0 and email it to you. I would say your baby is probably already weaned and you are worrying unnecessarily. As i explained before leave him a small bowl of the baby food incase he still wants some, only for a short period as it goes off and he will give up eating it himself soon. you will also need calcium supplement.

Your English is very good!

One thing to show your baby - what is his name? - where the windows and doors are. Take him on your hand and let him feel the glass with his beak, you gently tap the glass, he will soon learn that it is there.

Your bird will enjoy much of what you eat yourself. But NO chocolate, no avocado and no coffee/tea. If he is having your food no salt and not fatty either. So if he has chicken take the skin off, no fat on meat, no bacon or ham (because of the salt).

Please can you post some pictures for us to see him?

Posted Image to the Parroty Place, Onetteselfish. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I am impressed with your English and apologise that I do not know your language to be able to greet you in your native tongue.

I have changed the topic title to 'weaning' for you so members will be able to see what you mean and come to offer help :)

There are lots of ideas about feeding here ....

MANY, MANY FEEDING TOPICS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=17832.0

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

thank you all for your kindness. i didn't write for many years in english and i forgot some. i don't know why my baby was a little sad today. he didn't fly like always and his drops are much watery then usual(but not diarrhea). but i can't tell that he doesn't play. he was playing with willow perches and chewing it with pleasure. another sweet thing -when he wants to wake me up(in the morning) he bit my fingers, a soft bit and he make some baby sounds like he want to tell me " wake up and lets play". i am afraid to not use him every day and hour with me and when i 'll start to work again he'll miss me and suffer. how can i give him calcium? i have a calcium and mineral block. i understood that he needs sun rises to assimilate the calcium. the name of my baby is Pappy. about windows and doors- i don't let him to stay in his cage because he doesn't like it and he is like a crazy bird when i let him in. now i used him to eat into the cage like "kleopatra" told me.

have a best week all of you.

You are most welcome :)

You might find this worth reading? ...

ADVICE FOR WHEN YOU BRING YOUR FIRST PARROT HOME©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/7493-advice-for-when-you-bring-your-new-parrot-home/

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Here in the UK many of us use a Calcium supplement called Calcivet available online:

http://www.birdcareco.com/acatalog/The_Birdcare_Company_Calcivet_41.html

I apologise but I am not sure which pricing would apply to you in Bucharest but here is their international list:

http://www.birdcareco.com/acatalog/index.html

and here's a thread about how people give their birds this Calcium ....

CALCIVET - HOW DO YOU USE YOURS?:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/4573-no-subject/

hi everyone,

i have a big problem and i don't know what to do. i was to the avian vet today with my baby. after the vet checked my baby he told me that is necessary to do some tests(drops test) because he didn't like it how they are. the doctor advised me about bananas, to not feed my grey with banana(only in small quantity for taste). it is good for him to feed with kiwi, apples but not orange(contain citric acid). my Pappy is like always happy. what do you think about this? he told me too to feed my parrot until 6 months with wet food or until he stop. please tell me what can i do? it is grave?

have a nice day

Really you need to ask your vet what his suspicisions are. I feed all my birds banana's, orange, kiwis, apples etc.. but not as much fruit as they have vegetables. If your vet is recommending something, I would ask him why NOT to eat them?

I have read somewhere about not feeding parrots too much citrus (oranges) but they are my birds favourite and my vet says its OK for them to have them.

I don't understand what the tests are though - can you explain? Which part of your Pappy is the vet worried about?

Congratulations to you!! Your little Pappy sounds wonderful!

And I'm so glad to hear that you have an avian vet near by, he can help you with lots of questions - don't be afraid to ask them!

Did the vet do any testing? I'm not sure what you mean by drop testing, do you mean he collected a sample of his droppings to test?

hi all,

for Cathy - his feces or his droppings. the vet collected a sample

my baby grey did some drops in his basket and the vet saw this. he also sow the banana. when he saw the feces he decided to collect some samples. he told me that maybe my grey is ill. i was explained to him that i am still feeding my baby with wet food and perhaps this is the reason; and the scared too. Pappy was so frightened and he drop all over, almost diarrhea. i shall wait until monday for results. maybe the vet saw something and this is the reason for his advice with banana and orange. he told me to give banana only for taste and orange in small amounts. i have to give kiwi, apple. i wanna ask you if it is ok to let the kiwi with pips(pits)? i was watching all the day long my baby if it's any change in his behavior and the answer is no. he is happy like always. chatting, whistling, playing with me and his toys, eating normally, drinking water, flying. i have to wait until monday. i am so worried and i prey to God to protect my baby.

Oh, of course you're worried about your little baby! You wouldn't be a Mom if you weren't. But honestly, it sounds like Pappy is a healthy & happy bird!

I hope the vet is doing some testing on the poop, as bacterial problems are not un-common & are normally easily treated if caught in time.

And stress can cause your bird to have abnormally runny plops, as can citrus foods.

You know, I've read that it's the pits of any fruit that is usually the toxic part, so just to be on the safe side, I avoid feeding my birds any pits or seeds. Also, if you're feeding the skins of any fruit or veggie, be sure to wash them very well first.

It sounds like you're doing wonderful! Just the fact that you've joined a forum seeking advice is a great step!

This business about not letting your birds eats the pips of fruit - as far as I understand they contain a small amount of a toxic substance but it would be pretty impossible for them to eat enough to come to any harm - surely they eat these things in the wild?

Kiwi pips are OK - my bird eat the pips and throw the rest away, same with strawberries and raspberries.

If Pappy is eating a lot of wet food it is normal for his droppings to be wetter.

17 weeks should be weaned already, that means you got him when he was 14 weeks and that's the same as mine and mine is fully weaned.

One way you can stop him from flying into windows is to pick him up and gently go towards the window and let his beak press against the glass so that he knows it's solid. Good luck with your baby!

So cute! Wish mine could sit still to get his pic taken :roll:

17 weeks should be weaned already, that means you got him when he was 14 weeks and that's the same as mine and mine is fully weaned.

One way you can stop him from flying into windows is to pick him up and gently go towards the window and let his beak press against the glass so that he knows it's solid. Good luck with your baby!

So cute! Wish mine could sit still to get his pic taken :roll:

hi,

how you did to wean him? what kind of food did you feed in that time? i was to the windows and he pressed the glass with his beak but he still wants to go there.

It is usual in this country for birds to be fully weaned before they go their new owners. However this is not always the case in other countries. Like humans all birds are different and some will wean later than others.

How many times a day are you feeding Pappy with baby food? Does Pappy eat food by herself? A good thing to do is to weight Pappy regularly so that you are able to check her weight. Then you can tell if she is gaining weight.