Sign in to follow this  
Guest choccyb

Maxi's

Guest choccyb

Can anyone give me any advice as to the personality generally of these birds? and size in comparison to a Caique?

I have seen an advert for one aged 10 for £250 with a cage. Have asked the price without the cage as it doesnt look great but he does look like a well loved pet.

Any advice would be welcome as I dont really know much about these birds.

Thanks

We have 2 Maxis. A male dumped on me by a customer who is a nervous bird and a female, EB parent-reared who is more outgoing. They have roughly the same body size as a Caique but less "dumpy". Most Pionus are slightly reserved compared with Caiques but are fascinating birds. We also have Blue-headed and Dusky. We find that they are voracious eaters and do well if fed a reasonable amount of fruit and veg plus pulses.

Guest choccyb

Thanks David, on looking at the price of hand reared babies I think £250 may be a little steep for a ten year old but he is well looked after. Think will see if they might come down a little on the price. He has been advertised for a long time and has been reduced in that time so he may well have gone already to a new home but will ask lots of questions about him if he is still available.

Stacey

I used to breed maxis and found them excellent pets far better than greys, but they are not very popular and dont fetch very much money, i am sure it would be an excellent pet.

Ann

Guest choccyb

Have not heard anything back so am thinking that maybe it has already been rehomed. I wouldnt have paid the asking price of £250 as it was already ten years old and after reading up a bit, their average life span is 20 years in captivity. Is this what people with pionus have found to be true? If it were a bird who needed rehoming to get it out of a bad situation i would pay just to see it safe but this is a loved pet so it is expensive when already at the age it is. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i love pionus. my blue headed is the most adorable sweetest little thing. you can't really compare them to caiques because they're such different birds. not as playful or outgoing but very loving.

Guest choccyb

The only reason i mentioned caiques was just to get an idea of the size compared to the caiques as I have not seen a maxi in the flesh so to speak.

The bird in question has been rehomed now to someone with another maxi which is good for the bird.

Everyone who has a pionus has said they are lovely birds so have definately added them to my wish list. xxxxx

Guest choccyb

Thats interesting to know thanks Mike, the web site I got the info from may have been a little out of date then.

xxxx

Maxi's make excellent pets as do all the pionus ,they have all the charms of the amazons but not the traits ,For breeding birds you are looking at £200.00 ish for hens and £150.00 for a cock . Handreared they are between £350.00 -£400.00 ,amd agree with mike k on the age aspect

Once you have a pionus you will want another .They are bigger than the caique and about 100grm heavier .

Derek

Once you have a pionus you will want another

Derek

i must be weird then coz i don't want another lol. i'm so happy with pickles and she's completely satisfied my need for a pionus.

Guest choccyb

Now I need a pionus. i had just managed to talk myself into not getting another bird as I am still looking for a female YT Caique as a companion for Rocky but I cant help myself looking at all the sites to see if there are any for sale needing a new home. xxxxxxx

Guest choccyb

Have seen a couple of people advertising baby Maxi's but think I would rather rehome a bird needing a second chance rather than get another purpose bred baby if that makes sense. i have my baby jardine Boo and he is fabulous but now that i have my "baby" I would like to stick to getting "second chance" birds if I get any more. My priority at the moment whenever the opportunity to find one appears, if to find a friend for Rocky whether it be a YT (ideally) or a BH if I cant find a YT, that depends.

We are moving house in the next 6 months and once settled, Phil is going to build me an aviary outside for all my birds to get some outside time each day particularly the caiques who are so busy all of the time.

Pionus are definately on the list of wanted birds for me, I have registered my interest with June at wishing to offer a forever home to a bird needing a new chance at life, so will have to wait and see what hand fate deals. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OK, Im gonna sound really mean now, but Choccy. You have JUST bought home a baby Jardines. Going back a year or so, you said you only had room for one cage, and now you must have quiet a few. Maybe it's time to slow down a little, and spend some time with the birds you do have, and leave taking on any more for a while. I dont want you to get to the point where you feel you cant cope, and start to rehome birds, as it's not fair on them. You may not like what Im saying, but just think on it a little, you do seem to be buying an awful lot of birds just lately.

I have 2 maxi's and they are just too cute :D They also both talk in the cutest little voices and pick up new things quickly. Caz I got when he was 5 months old, handreared by his breeder. Kanga was about 3 weeks old and I handreared him myself (have lots of experience). HOWEVER, I must say that although both of mine were handreared they both are VERY cage territorial :cry: Away from their cage they are sweeties, but anywhere near their cage and they become savage And when they bite :evil: they grab you and twist really hard :shock: :cry: :cry: It hurts like h*ll :x Still love them though :wink:

Guest choccyb

Mandy, i appreciate what you are saying but I am not in the same house as I was a year ago. I have 2 reception rooms in the house i am in now and so do have the room for cages. I do not work and so my birds all have plenty of time whereas I know a lot of people who are working and also have more birds than i do. All of my birds get plenty of out of cage time and that includes one to one time with me. I have 3 pet birds in the house which I do not really think is excessive.

e adding pionus to my wish list for future, not now unless a rescue bird happens to come along needing a loving home. Also, my partner will be building an outdoor aviary for my birds to have outside time each day for flying around more and getting fresh air which I cant wait for.

I have the time and the room and the money to provide and love and care for a rescue bird so please be rest assured that I have thought long and hard about getting a resuce bird and it is not just me being a parrot addict lol. All of my birds are insured and given everything they need. I am still learning but I go out of my way to try to ensure that I learn about each specific birds needs as and when needed and as things crop up. You never stop learning and I have learnt a few hard lessons to get to where I am now.

I am not having a go at your post at all, I can totally see where you are coming from, so just wanted to reassure you really.

Stacey xxxxxx :D

OH, and just to add, rather than looking at the for sale birds, could you not consider joining a rescue and finding another bird that way? 'Most' birds that are up for sale will find a decent home, where as one that is 'free' and with problems will need a much stronger home and person to take it on. I only say that because you were initially looking at money to buy the bird, and I do think it could be put to better use :D

Guest choccyb

No probs Mandy, i understand you are only saying what you feel and putting the birds first.

:D

I have already contacted Jebirds about being a forever home for a rescue bird. I am not looking really for anything in particular, just the right bird that needs a loving home whenever that might be. Obviously I do not have vast amounts of experience so what type of bird I could take and what sort of problems I could take on would be limited to ensure that the bird gets the very best care I can offer. To be able to take on a bird with problems, and give it the life it deserves would be fantastic and to be able to do that, I am going to be patient and wait for the right bird to need a home.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx