Sign in to follow this  
VLee

Parrot in your bedroom?

Hello everyone!

Something I'm curious about and I'd like help and advice please. I was curious as I was doing my parrot research I found an article where they mentioned that you can't keep parrot/cage in your bedroom. Though the article doesnt explain why you shouldnt.

Now I was thinking during the day I would keep my parrot in the living room, so as even when I'm out to work some other family member could entertain him and then when it comes to bedtime I'd move him into my room and cover part of his cage. I'd want to always be able to see my pet (except for when im out), only reason I can think of why parrots cant be allowed to sleep in room with their owners is because parrots don't get a peaceful night sleep this way? But can someone explain to me why I shouldnt??? :? Thanks.

Indiana and Chewie both live in our bedroom. They were originally in our living room, but we found that they were actually much happier up with us. We live in a shared house at the moment, so our bedroom actually serves as a living room, study, music room and to be honest pretty much everything else going, and we spend most of our time up here because all our stuff is here. I don't cover them at night, but they do have little Peekaboo Perches which they sleep in and never seem to be disturbed. They are very good actually, not waking us up until 7.40 every morning (when I get up for work) and even have lie ins on Sundays!!!

I'm not sure what the exact reason to not have birds in your bedroom is, but for us its worked out as having two very content parrots. I like to think of it as we are a flock - we all roost together at night and play together in the day :-)

However, I will point out this is a temporary thing. When we move into a place of our own - which won't be too long now - they will be expected to stay in the living room as we can spend our time in there and put them to bed a night.

xxx

I think parrots in the bedroom is suggested as not ideal due to the fact you can get sick from breathing in micro-organisms from their poo that cause cause breathing problems. Also, with the dustier species, that too can affect your breathing.

That said, I had my greencheek in my room, and now my brownhead (the greencheek is next door in my parents bedroom for the quarantine) with no problems so far. Its not ideal, and I'm not brilliantly happy with it because I do worry about the small chance of breathing problems, but until we've finished decorating and I can be 150% sure that my mum won't spray an airfreshner, they stay put.

My thoughts on keeping your bird in your bedroom :

Depends how much of the day you spend in the bedroom. If you only use it for sleeping, then the bird could lack companionship during the day.

I feel that the best situation for a pet bird and his/her cage is the room in the house that gets the most activity. For some households this is the kitchen, others, it's the living room, and for some, maybe it's the bedroom. ( lolol @ nawty inuendo there somewhere! )

:lol:

lol thanks for the advice! I plan to move mine in living room most the time but move him in bedroom when i go to sleep so he doesnt get lonely. Unless my snores keep him up.... then err yeah. Still need to find my lucky bird! :( I have a nice big cage with toys waiting for him!

But would'nt you breathe in any poo spores or whatever from any room they're in?

Yea :) Which is why I'm not sure on that, but its what I was told. I took it to be because of pillows and bedding that you snuggle into too?

Who knows!!

My thoughts on keeping your bird in your bedroom :

Depends how much of the day you spend in the bedroom. If you only use it for sleeping, then the bird could lack companionship during the day.

I feel that the best situation for a pet bird and his/her cage is the room in the house that gets the most activity. For some households this is the kitchen, others, it's the living room, and for some, maybe it's the bedroom. ( lolol @ nawty inuendo there somewhere! )

:lol:

That's pretty much summed up what I think. We are better company to them if they are in our room, as we spend most our time in here.

xxx

My personal thoughts on this are.... I wouldnt let a bird sleep in my bedroom anymore than I would let my daughter, unless it was special circumstances!(ie illness, quarantine). You can over coddle your bird, and you will most likely end up with a very needy little guy. If you are thinking about putting him in there just to sleep at night, whats the point? Hes only going to be sleeping! Its important, no not only important, their RIGHT to have independence, and I encourage this in my birds. If its for no other reason than not wanting him to be alone, I see no reason to let him sleep in your room, if he has interaction during the day in the living room, he shouldnt feel lonely!

Not applicable if your bedroom is also your living room too lol.

I think the idea expressed by hollid3011 that having your parrot to sleep in your room is 'coddling' it and that this will be bad for him or her is mistaken. This implies that it's not good for a parrot to be away from his flock, to be alone. I don't believe that this is true.

Let's look at the parallel which hollie3011 drew between a parrot and a child. She suggests that it's not good for a child to sleep in her bedroom, and implies that this is a generally accepted fact. I'm an anthropologist, and I can say that the modern Euro-American notion that it's good for children to sleep in a separate room from their parents is one that is not shared among most peoples of the world, whose children sleep in their rooms, often in their beds when they are small. The point to note is that this does not cause emotional or behavioural problems. Such peoples generally have better adjusted children (and eventual adults) with fewer behavioural problems than we have in our society. Among the people I studied (and lived with for two years), the Kelabit in Borneo, the fact that we put our daughter, who was 1-3 at the time, to sleep before us and in a separate crib than our bed was already pretty odd. They told horror stories about Europeans they knew, who put their children to sleep in separate bedrooms at the other end of a corridor from them. The Kelabit leave their children to go to sleep and then take them to bed - rather than putting them to bed and then expecting them to accept their solitude and go to sleep. Sure, you can get your children used to solitude at night, but it's not actually ideal for them.

I believe it's parallel for parrots, who, like humans, are group-oriented, flock creatures. We have deprived them of their natural flock, and have become members of their flock. As they need to be with other parrots in the wild, so they need to be with 'their' humans. In the wild, parrots don't go and sleep in separate rooms - they roost together. We can therefore assume that they prefer to roost with us, their flock, not on their own.

So my feeling would be - it's great for your parrot to sleep in your room, from his or her point of view. He or she doesn't want to be left alone, ever. He or she wants to engage in activities alone, sure, but doesn't appreciate or see the point of actually being left alone in a room - night or day.

Monica

ive had max and lulu in my bedroom since day one. i love them here with me. you have to make sure you keep on top of the mess but i manage that. i spend about 8 hours at night when im asleep in there, and then about 6 hours on top of that. at first there was problems with max thnking my bedroom was his big cage. but with getting into a proper "flying time" routine and with i tiny bit of discpline (hate that word but you know what i mean) .... things became better.

ive never *touch wood8 suffered from any health problems with the birds being here, but i do keep it tidy and well ventilated, i love them in my room with me and they love it here too , i wouldnt want it any other way

My personal thoughts on this are.... I wouldnt let a bird sleep in my bedroom anymore than I would let my daughter, unless it was special circumstances!(ie illness, quarantine). You can over coddle your bird, and you will most likely end up with a very needy little guy. If you are thinking about putting him in there just to sleep at night, whats the point? Hes only going to be sleeping! Its important, no not only important, their RIGHT to have independence, and I encourage this in my birds. If its for no other reason than not wanting him to be alone, I see no reason to let him sleep in your room, if he has interaction during the day in the living room, he shouldnt feel lonely!

Not applicable if your bedroom is also your living room too lol.

Only wanted to move him in the bedroom when I sleep because someone in my household sometimes stay up at 4am to watch tv :roll: So he is better off in my room for the night.

Also I think if I don't suffer breathing problems it's fine. It's more quiet in my bedroom at night than in the living room when you get the odd family member that can't fall asleep and decides to watch some tv lol

Ok, if someone is up until four in the morning then I agree that isnt the best place for your bird to sleep! Our bird room is seperate from our living area, so they get uninterrupted sleep whether someone is up or not. I think it depends on peoples circumstances, but IMO I dont think it is neccessary for a bird to sleep in your room.