Sign in to follow this  
Guest ramagel

Repairing my Parrot Stand - hard wood "dowel"

Guest ramagel

I have one of these http://www.parrot-cage.co.uk/vmchk/large-metal-parrot-play-centre-79.99.html which has been the permanent daytime home (along with ropes dangling from the ceiling) for two Blue & Gold house-guests for the last three months.

There is a wooden 'dowel' running across the top bar of the stand, but it is obviously a much harder wood than the standard wood used for the ladder rungs (I finally found that green hawthorn lasted the longest - up to a week sometimes!) and normal perches.

All they've managed to do is eat about 6" off one end of this 'top rod', and 2" off the other end. Unfortunately the fixing bolts are located 3" in from either end, so it's a bit rickety at the moment.

Would anyone know what type of woods might be suitable and where I might be likely to get them? Square/rectangular would be fine: I could roughly shape it and it'd be better for feet anyway.

Thanks in advance for any clues (I haven't got any hawthorn or apple branches anywhere near the right size or length, otherwise I'd have tried them).

try b&q for staircase spindles, weve used them in the past and they last quite well for a couple of quid each, or untreated broom handles they are thicker and stronger than normal dowling. the other thing weve just bought for jaspers cage is a mature piece of grapevine, about 2-3" diameter and 4ft long from a local reptile shop, dont know how it will fair as weve just put it in but it seems really hard and interesting with the natural grooves in it.

W6eva, you read my mind!

We used dowels from B&Q for our macaws, and i got half a dozen broom handles (not fork handles!!) a few weeks ago from the local cheapie shop to shape and use in the run

how are your birdies w6?!

good luck with it!

theyre both fine thanks greenwing - darent let ruby in the garden anymore, cause a couple of months ago she went 'flyabout' and gave us all a real fright - i'm going to try and harness train ready for the nice weather. can get her in it but shes determined to chew her way out of it :)

sorry dont know much about macaws but i know the best wood for it if you go to a timber yard and ask for the wood used for flat bed lorries it is a hard wood not very expensive but its stronger than mahogany i cant remember the name of it now begins with a k its the strongest wood available that i know ofill look tomorrow on my way in from work and see what its called and how much it costs its been ten years since i worked in the timber yard but itshouldnt be a problem ty jay

Guest ramagel

Broom handles sound a good idea - but I think Jay's suggestion sounds better than concrete! Hope you can remember the name, it might be helpful for a lot of folks who have birds with big beaks!

Thanks, all

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but,

W6, we lost one of the macaws for a few hours one day (she can't fly, had her wings clipped, but no-one told her that) and mine too chew harnesses to nothing.

So we made Max a harness from all the old quick links from his toys, with some fabric round for comfort, he looks like he-man with it on, but at least it is secure lol :D Worth a try?!

Rachel

Ps - Java wood is also incredibly hard, it is sold in pet shops but it is expensive, so if you can source the cheaper stuff first that would be better for you

So we made Max a harness from all the old quick links from his toys, with some fabric round for comfort, he looks like he-man with it on, but at least it is secure lol Worth a try?!

haha you must post a picture of that :lol::lol:

This may be worth a read? ....

SAFE/UNSAFE WOODS, PLANTS, BRANCHES ETC©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/2097-safeunsafe-woods-plants-branches-etc/

and ....

IDEAS ABOUT PERCHES©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/14225-ideas-about-perches/

(have added this thread to it)

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/