Sign in to follow this  
MadMudMob™

Stopping CAGs from breeding?

if i eventually got a breeding pair of cags, would they just continuasly lay eggs? is it possible somehow to stop them breeding, ie if took nest box away would they stop?

i would like to try my hand at breeding eventually, but as i dont want to make a living from this i just wanted to know if its possible to stop breeding birds laying eggs.

many thanks

firstly, you will never ever make a living from breeding birds if you do it properly, if you are lucky then you might break even of perhaps have a little left over to replace an aviary.

i personally think it is cruel to remove the nest box, and this will not stop a hen bird from laying. most birds if you are lucky might lay one clutch every year. the hen will lay her eggs over a period of a week or so then will sit on them, until hatching. the male will hopefully feed her and she will only come off to poo and stretch her wings.

my chickens lay an egg every day or every other greys dont.

if you dont want the birds to breed then you can replace the eggs with dummy eggs but this shouldnt be normal practice as it isnt fair on the birds.

hope this helps.

many thanks for the reply especialy the one in Breeding Advice & Queries ( i can not say thanks in that area)

you have put my mind at ease, i just did not want to find myself in the position where they would lay eggs, rear them for a few month or so and then start laying eggs straight away again.

thanks all