Sign in to follow this  
lee2007

stopping cags from breeding

if i eventually got a breeding pair of cags, would they just continuasly lay eggs? is it possible somehow to stop them breeding, ie if took nest box away would they stop?

i would like to try my hand at breeding eventually, but as i dont want to make a living from this i just wanted to know if its possible to stop breeding birds laying eggs.

many thanks

if i eventually got a breeding pair of cags, would they just continuasly lay eggs? o is it possible somehow to stop them breeding, ie if took nest box away would they stop?

i would like to try my hand at breeding eventually, but as i dont want to make a living from this i just wanted to know if its possible to stop breeding birds laying eggs.

many thanks

There`s 2 ways of looking at this

1) if you don`t want birds to breed don`t buy a breeding pair

however you say you would like to try and breed so perhaps you do need a little more advice .

1)There is not a pill for birds

2 not all hen parrots are laying machines

3) taking the nest box away from a hen parrot desparate to lay may not prevent egg laying

4) even given a nest box some birds will not lay , if they are not happy with the box, it`s position etc.

5) If a pair lay eggs but you do not want them to have young it is best to pierce the eggs with a pin and leave them sitting on the eggs for the full incubation period , as while the eggs are being incubated they are resting , and provided they are feeding properly no harm will ensue .

N.b. some hen birds will lay eggs even if they have no mate !

many thanks for the reply especialy the one in Breeding Advice & Queries ( i can not say thanks in that area)

you have put my mind at ease, i just did not want to find myself in the position where they would lay eggs, rear them for a few month or so and then start laying eggs straight away again.

thanks all

I remove the nest box works ok, if your lucky enough to find a pair that will rear their own chicks, then leaving the young in with the parents will deter them from constantly laying eggs

I remove the nest box works ok, if your lucky enough to find a pair that will rear their own chicks, then leaving the young in with the parents will deter them from constantly laying eggs

Don't they usually raise their babies - if they are left with them - and if not what happens?

Don't they usually raise their babies - if they are left with them - and if not what happens?

Nature takes it`s course ! However it does depend on what birds are being refered to . Naturally birds have the natural desire to breed & have young but sometimes it takes them a couple of goes before young birds get things right and they produce viable young , but parent birds also have inbuilt sense of when eggs/chicks are not viable and sometimes will eject such from the nest box ! However we are talking about captive birds and parent birds whose young/eggs have been taken for hand rearing can /do loose the ability/desire to rear their own young if they never get the chance to learn to do so . And sometimes when adult breeding pairs are bought the buyer does not know if the birds they have bought are so !

with certain birds ive had over the years ive found two flightsthe best way to stop nesting one side your breeding side givethem that when you first get them let them knowtheplace possibly let them havethere first season in there to get them to know the place and feel at home the second flight set up as a flight no nest box or material and close the breeding side of the avairy. i havedonethis with cockatiels prolific breeder and never had birds laying to much ty jay