Sign in to follow this  
red

advice please, if possible (owner's breathing/Eczema probs)

hi there folks, i have joined this forum because i need advice. we have a wonderful African gray approx 18 months old. his is a great bird fun and cheeky and a great talker for such a young bird.

but alas there is a problem. the problem is not the birds but my daughters and mine. when we first got him i started having trouble breathing when cleaning him. so we got an hepa air filter which did help.but this has unfortunately got worse over time. in the summer my daughter(14) started with a terrible outbreak of her Eczema unfortunately this is still bad. we have gone back to the hospital and they have said just to look for the trigger and remove it. easier said then done. as we have all got attached to our wonderful gray.

here are the steps i have taken to help with the dander over the last 18 months.

hepa air filter(big)

vac daily (hepa filter on vac)

wet dust daily

cage cleaned regularly(including bars & toys)

regular baths(if not too cold with it being winter approx every 2 days light spray)

damp paper at the bottom of cage(as i read this would help)

i am hoping with all my heart that they is something else i can do? please anyone help us. his is one of the family.

he is in the lounge with us during the day, we do not take him up stairs at night to sleep as he is in the dinning room half so we switch off the light and he sleeps when the kids go to bed. his cage is very big and i doubt i could move it.

I too have both asthma and excema and a grey, amongst other parrots.

TBH, this might not help you, but hubby does the "cleaning out" as the dust does set my chest off, but I use a preventer inhaler anyway (not just for the parrots, loads of things set my breathing off). This keeps my asthma under control.

For my excema, I use betnovate as necessary and a big tub of cream that comes from the chemist, over the counter but with no perfumes or lanolin, therefore it is not drying like a lot of moisturisors. I will see what it is called when I get home, I think it is called Aqious cream, the doctor recommended it.

Asthma and excema, in my opinion, is a fact of my life and limiting how I live, by for example not having my birdies, is just not an option. However, I totally understand that some severances of the conditions are worse than others, mine is controllable, and all the above might not be an option in your instance.

When you say you have a filter, do you mean one of the ones that remove allergens etc from the air? I got one from Rob Harvey, and in fact gave it to a member on here as hubby didn't like leaving it plugged in when we were at work (bit panicky about electrics!), but I have seen the dust they collect and it is amazing.

Sorry I can't help more than that!

Good luck,

Rachel

hi there, Greenwingmax, thanks for your comment. my daughter is already using diprobase cream to wash with and uses a Steroid cream. the air filter is one from rob harvey's too :lol: we leave it turned on 24 hours a day.

yes the air filter removes some of the dust. i can not clean it as i can't breathe if i do, so hubby cleans it. my hubby also does the big clean of the cage, because he works away during the week i have to do the daily clean.

thank you for your advice

I have eczema that used to get quite nasty. Nothing to do with my birdies, but its set off by cold weather usually, as well as certain cosmetics/lotions and anything with cinnamon oil in! I have found two fantastic remedies for it though. I used to work at Lush, who make a cream called Dream Cream. It was originally developed for cancer patients who were having radiotherapy as it promotes cell regeneration. Eczema is when your skin cells don't grow "flat", but higgledy piggledy, and this cream did wonders on my skin.

However, in the more aggressive patches I ended up with spots of milder eczema. This I treat with Bio Oil and kablammo! Eczema gone! I use it on the patches I get on my face though because it sorts them out very quickly.

Much MUCH kinder to your skin than steroid cream which can thin your skin amongst other things.

xxx

first off thank you for posting.

my daughter eczema flared up in the early summer when the weather was not too hot or too cold. we have never used scented products either to bathe in or wash clothes or clean the house.

i am very interested in herbal products but find much to my disappointment a lack of success on my daughters skins although there have proved good for my dry skin, ok i get eczema too.

my bro also had radiotherapy and Chemotherapy therapy and is now all clear. he works in a bio lab with his wife i will ask him about Dream Cream. i am sure if there is any research out there he will let me know

once again i would like to thank you for your help.

my daughter has the same problem with the birds and i found that washing her bedding everyday and using a carpet cleaner twice a week really does make a difference to it i bought my carpet cleaner from b and q for 69 pounds and bout allergy filtersfrom ebay for a fiver it really does reduce the dust you will notice the diffrence if you got carpet of course hope this helps ty jay

thank you jay for your advice.

i wash my daughter bedding once a week and keep the bedroom doors shut.

please tell me, do you use a shake a vac product or do you wet wash your carpet? filtersfrom i have never heard of it could you perhaps explain what it is please?

also do you have an air filter upstairs?

Just a quickie Red, PLEASE dont use the shake a vac product. I have very mild ashthma, and that product set me off really bad, the worst I've ever had, I would hate to think what it would do to someone who has it bad :(

that was to be my point :lol:

Dream Cream.contacted the people at this to find the active ingredient to be rose water, absolute(vodka) chamomile & lavender oil. hhhmmm might smell nice, but not really useful.as we tried these herbal produces when she was younger. but thank you for your advice :D

I don't suffer from eczema, but i remember years ago i read or heard a possible cure and told a friend who tried it and had great results. It was basically putting oats into a J cloth, wraping it in a bundle and hanging from the bath tap, so when filling the bath the water runs over or through the bag of oats and then just soak in that water. At that time i presented a tv show where we gave beauty aand cleaning tips etc......... and i even mentioned it on the show and got emails from people saying it had helped.

Hello there. I know this is going to sound silly but try taking allergy tablets. My partner is allergic to dust and so is a friend of ours. Martin used to suffer something terrible when ever we went to a friends house, I got him some pills and now hes fine over there. Our friend Katie keeps horses and shes allergic to them. Just a benadrill a day stops her from having breathing difficulty.

Hope this helps

I've got three asthma/excema sufferers in the family, and we live with a CAG, 3 dogs, 2 cats, a duck and several hens, rabbit, guinea pig and fish! Good suggestion to avoid the cleaning, or anything which you know will trigger an attack.

Generally, asthma and excema are often aggrivated by the lactose in bovine products (Anything from cows, including pork products which have been fed skimmed milk, milk in processed foods etc)

We control our asthma/excema by bovine-free diet. It's a bit of a job, but if it's bovine intolerance you'll see a marked improvement in your condition within a week of going bovine-free!

hope this helps

mary

thanks maryrose, my daughter is already dairy free as she is intolerate.we have a veggie diet. i looked to her diet first to see if they was anything i was overlooking. i have also checked cleaning produces.

i have not heard of the oats tip. does anyone know how this works please. it sounds like one to try. :D

Hello there. I know this is going to sound silly but try taking allergy tablets. My partner is allergic to dust and so is a friend of ours. Martin used to suffer something terrible when ever we went to a friends house, I got him some pills and now hes fine over there. Our friend Katie keeps horses and shes allergic to them. Just a benadrill a day stops her from having breathing difficulty.

Hope this helps

we already do this, when things are bad. but constant use means you become resistance to the drug. although it is better to use a little and often to maintain protection for say, hayfever. our doc has advised against constance use

Hi Red

I know this sounds a bit drastic, but can some one take your bird for a few days? A bit like a hoilday. You could still carry on with all the other things you are doing. At least you would know if it is your Grey or not.

Hope this helps

we already do this, when things are bad. but constant use means you become resistance to the drug. although it is better to use a little and often to maintain protection for say, hayfever. our doc has advised against constance use

I have to take antihistermines (sp?) from about june to october each year because i am allergic to wasps. It makes sure that if i am stung then my initial reaction will not be so deadly lol! My doctor told me this was the best course of action but its diffrent for diffrent people i sappose.

Hope this helps

I have to take antihistermines (sp?) from about june to october each year because i am allergic to wasps. It makes sure that if i am stung then my initial reaction will not be so deadly lol! My doctor told me this was the best course of action but its diffrent for diffrent people i sappose.

Is there not a desensitization therapy available for Wasp stings ?