Sign in to follow this  
Tankerman2347

Diet for 14years old Greenwing?

Wife just had interesting conversation with David who advised us to post on site about a Greenwing which we had bought about two month,s ago.The bird has been Vet checked for all diseases and got all clear other than spot on Liver. Vet is treating him with limisil which is very stressing for the birds as have to syringe it down his throat "has been on this for a month now " but not much improvement (has another 2 months of medcation to go) The condition of feather,s are very poor and had been shredded. and has probs with breathing

Diet was mainly black sunflower seed,s and peanut,s. bird has been on this diet approx ten years.also had sawdust in bottom of cage

Now have him crunching on Kaytee,would like to try him on something else due to colourants in the Kaytee.Fresh fruit and veg offered daily but is ignored

Bill

PS David suggested Thistle milk,any info please.

This bird needs to eat a varied diet but seems addicted to pellets. I think that Milk Thistle might be a useful tonic but I doubt if the birds will eat the seeds. Does anyone have experience of the liquid form? I also suggested soaking sunflower kernels.

Hello, sunflower and peanuts for most of its live!!!!!!!! I am quiet suprised it is just a spot on his liver. I would have expected his liver had turned into foie gras by now. We all try to do our best for our birds and by doing that a lot of people do more damage than good. The food most people give their parrot is far to strong. They need variaty but you have to keep it lean to the point that you think you getting mean. My favourite birds ar cockatoos and they never get sunflowers at all. Actually they are fed on a lean parrakeetmix with lots of soaked seeds, fruit and vegs and the results i have speak for themselves. You heve to think that our parrots dont have to fly for miles and miles everyday. Most of them are just sitting around al day so they dont need powerful food. It may sound mean but it is for the birds best. We have a human population that has problems with obesety already. We dont want to add a parrot one as well. VARIET BUT IN MODERATION and lots of excercise

^^^^^very good reply........lots of sense :D

i am a great believer in soak seed and pulses ( sunflower included ) which are sprouted before being given to my birds with lots of fruit and veg ( 15-20 dif kinds a day )

i do feed a dry seed mix but dont give much ( DD mix, little sunflower )

in the wild birds would not eat dry seed, they would never come into contact with it, most fruits and seeds are eaten before they even get the the ripe stage, probably before they are even nutritionally beneficial , variety is the key, and him being a macaw dont forget his nuts, they need a higher fat content but not to much as he wont be as active as his wild counterparts

Tankerman,

We went through this with Princess Blue when we got her - poor breathing, dreadful feathers, got smoked all over - to the point that the white of her face was yellow, fed on biscuits, orange pop and a bit of really cheap sunflower mix.

The screaming whilst we weaned her off the nictine and crap diet was awful, but now she is the best greenwing macaw the world could ever ask for, the plucking has stopped and her breathing is as good as it will ever be (we were too late to stop the aspers coming on and we had to nebulise her twice a day for weeks, which might be a consideration if the medicine your GW is having can be administered that way).

Walnuts in shells is a great way to start them off, it gives them something to play with as well as eat and the higher fat content as Alanh said is very good for them. They are selling them off cheap in ASDA at the moment after Christmas! Grapes are, I have found, the easiest fruit and veg thing to start off with, and a little drop of Calcivet can be dropped on to help calcium levels.

I did use milk thistle, and found as David said the seeds were discarded. But Holland and Barret sell it in powder form (well in those plasticky capsule type things that you can open up) - then I mix it with water and disguise it in mash, which all mine will try if it is warm. I also gave a little pro-biotic once a week and essence of cherry, which is good for the kidney's, all recommended by Jebirds who is a miracle worker with all things feathered!

Princess Blue also adores pellets, so I mix these with some good quality seed, a bit of Harrisons course (as it is not coloured), some pine nuts and fruit and veg. Soaked seed is a big favourite too, but it took quite a few wasted efforts before she would even look at it. i guess I wouldn't be interested in trying new things if I felt rubbish either!!

Anyway, hope this is of some use, if you pm me your address, I will post you some milk thistle and cherry concentrate capsule things to try - and give you the recommended watering down etc so you don't overdose !!

Good luck,

Rachel