Sign in to follow this  
beverley 67

african grey needs help

hi folks anyone near wakefield

just been told about two greys in a pet shop in wakefield, 1 is bald and the other had a bald ring round its neck.

the shop is called ****** aquatics daughter couldnt remember the name totally

beverley

I will try and go if i have my car tomorrow (son may need it for work) it's not too far from me, do you know if they are open mondays Beverley and a phone no for the shop would be good if you could pm me it.

I had use of my car today so i have been for a ride to Wakefield and visited the greys that Beverleys daughter saw in Aquatica pet shop. They belong to the owner, the female who is very badly plucked (about 75% of her body) is 18 years old and the male is 6 years old, he has had them both from baby's and keeps them in the shop, a couple of months ago he had a shufty round and moved the birds from a corner of the shop to the centre of the shop where they now live, the female was upset by the move and plucked herself bald virtually overnight, she is now covered in fluff and has lots of new pin feathers showing otherwise she looks healthy enough, the male has plucked a patch near his crop about the size of a 50 pence peice, again he has new pin feathers there. They both seemed healthy and happy and when the owner came over while i was talking to them they both got a head rub and a peice of his sandwich, i have to say though the cleanliness of the shop and their cages is not brilliant, they sell fish, rats and reptiles, the rat tanks stank of urine it made me retch, there were dead fish in some of the tanks and the reptiles fresh food was all dried up, there was some hermit crabs in a tank and their fresh food was mouldy and slimey (i've never kept these creatures so someone may come on and say that's how their food should be, i personally don't know, but don't think it should be) and the food the greys had was just a cheap high sunflower parrot mix, not very clean looking water in dirty pots and no fruit and veg, also the cages could have done with a really good clean, they weren't very suitable cages either, but again that is only my opinion i have seen much much worse. They had a toy each but not nice bright interesting ones and a mirror again very filthy. So i don't know what to do, he seemed to love the birds but is this enough, as i said the shop itself was dirty and desperately needs a good clean. Do i call the RSPCA or not.

surely it would do no harm to ring them, at most he will know he needs to clean up his act , love them or not they deserve better conditions if you didnt feel able to ask him to do it then yes i would ring them but that is just my opinion

Yeah Jackie he seemed friendly, but then again i was just making conversation so he didn't get suspicious of me, he may not have been so friendly if i had gone for the "don't you think they deserve better" approach, i was trying to be careful.

Since i first posted i have tried th RSPCA and they are closed until tomorrow.

It`s a long time since I`ve been in there but it`s never been wonderfull as a pet shop but does sound worse than last time I was in . When I`ve been in it`s been passable, just about , and the friendly aproach sounds normal .

I live in Wakefield and yes the shop has been like that for years... unfortunately nothing will ever be done about it from the investigations i've done... they seem to do the BARE minimum requirements for the animals...

i reported the poor Goffin's cockatoo that sat in a tiny cage in Living Dead for months - without any toys and just about enough wingspan - unfortunately the police investigated and again he was doing the BARE minimum for this bird...

It's heartbreaking and does beg the question if it's just the pet shop owners we have to blame or the authorities themselves??

yes the only thing to do is keep making complaints preferably with evidence as it`s difficult to take licences off such people , but saying that things are supposed to be made more difficult for them under the new AWB --------------- having said that I`m wondering if a complaint to DEFRA might be in order ?

this would be the point of contact if somebody fancies a go

Animal Health Divisional Office,

Government Buildings,

Otley Road,

Leeds

LS16 5PZ

Tel: 0113 230 0100

Night line: 0113 230 0100

Fax: 0113 261 0212

Email: AH.Leeds@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk

I've been ringing the RSPCA all morning but it just keeps going to answer machine and it appears to be full, I called the number Colin gave me and all i got was Oh dear, Oh that sounds awful, Oh how terrible, Poor Birds, No wonder you were upset if it's that bad, Maybe you should call Environmental Health or RSPCA, I asked can you not help then to which she replied "No", anyway i have been in touch with Wakefield Council and they have an Animal Welfare dept, they have taken all the info and my details, they were aware of the shop and had visited a few months ago on similar grounds, they have promised to let me know what happens.

Just thought I'd check, are you ringing the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999?

t's the national number.

I had to ring them fairly recently and this has a press 1 for...., or 2 for....,

including a number for cruelty and a number to speak to a person.

I couldn't speak to a local inspector but he received my message very quickly and got back to me the same day.

Good luck. :D

No i was calling the local branch, but i've just called the number above and reported it, again they have said they will let me know the outcome, thanks for this. I will keep every one updated as soon as i hear anything, I'm wondering wether to call the pet shop and see if he will sell the birds, but i've a feeling he won't and if he said yes i havn't a lot of spare cash at the moment or space for 2 greys that need seperate cages (although i'm sure could be found).

thank you all for trying to help these birds , daughter will be pleased .

good luck hope you have some interest from the enviromental health people or trading standards

i'm still waiting on hartlepool trading standards to finish testing the cages locks i sent them

thanks again

beverley