Sign in to follow this  
Greenwingmax

Need some advice - plucking

Hi all,

Our senegal Pip has been with us for over a year now, from a household where she was the only parrot. She is an absolute darling, sits quietly on our shoulders and loves kisses and cuddles.

But we can't seem to get her to stop plucking.

It gets better then worse, and the vet said she seemed perfectly healthy in herself. Whenever we go on holiday, she goes to plucked chicken mode and even pulls out her tail feathers. These then re-grow when we get home, but the chest and back feather pulling is constant.

We have been trying her on Harrisons high potency course, other crunchy coloured pellets whose name I can't remember for the life of me(!!) and just a tiny bit of good quality parrot mix. she loves fruit but won't really eat veggies. I have tried to up her Calcivet intake a bit, but that doesn't to help either.

Anyway, she has in the last few weeks or so started a "line" down her wings, and to my horror I have just noticed that through the course of today, she has pulled her entire tail out (we haven't been on holiday since October, and it has grown back since then)

I really feel for her, she is such a darling but there is something obviously very wrong. none of the other birds pluck

Any advice really gratefully appreciated.... :cry:

Rachel

Sorry about your sennie.

Don't ever leave her again?

Seriously.

We have an 18 year old cockatoo. She has always had slightly plucked legs.

She got worse a year or so ago. Plucked back and more leg feathers.

Tests at the vet tests, meds, and still no answer.

I feel I must be doing something wrong!

Sometimes once they start. I think that any slight change or stress "pre disposes " them to do it again.

I hope it is not so with you. That she will get over it somehow.

If she was used tp being a solitary pet, maybe joining a flock has stressed he?

You can't change the dynamics, by getting rid of the others...unthinkable.

I know it is really hard when you don't know! Just a thought...

It can take time for bird to reach their stress level in a new home. It could be Pip has just hit it with you going away?

Coloured pellets...Zupreem, Pretty bird, Kaytee?

There was an article....

Edit This on Mytoos the post Quoted by Charlie. Hope it may help

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=135621&Searchpage=1&Main=15027&Words=Red+zone&topic=0&Search=true#Post135621

= Posted ImageAlways happy to shorten links (MadMudMob)

My first reaction would be to drop the Harrisons and coloured pellets and feed a quality mix.

There's some threads on coloured pellets here ....

MANY, MANY FEEDING TOPICS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/4475-links-to-assorted-feeding-threads%c2%a9/

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

if its the kaytee pellets,heres a snippet of info from a list that the admin of a caique forum put together,it may be different now as the list is a couple of years old,but you could check the label for ingredients,see if they still use it

Kaytee Pellets = ethoxyquin, artificial color, natural favlor, salt, bht or bha

Ethoxyquin is listed and identified as a hazardous chemical by OSHA. It has a rating of 3 on a scale of 1 to 6 with 6 being super toxic requiring less than 7 drops to cause death. When mfg. by Monsanto, the containers are marked with the word POISON. The Dept. of Ag. lists and controls Ethoxyquin as a pesticide. The US FDA has announced that ethoxyquin, as currently regulated is no longer safe for use in dog food. Ethoxyquin promotes kidney carcinogenesis, significantly increases the incidence of stomach tumors, enhanced bladder carcinogenesis and urinary bladder carcinogenesis.

Cancers of this type are the most lethal and fastest acting, the swiftest effects being seen among animals.

Rarely is featherplucking a food related problem as we all try to give our parrots the best we can and they can get by with very little. Most times it is psychological or hormonial. When your Senegal starts plucking when you go on holiday then that is psychological. You have to realise that these birds of the mind and intelligence of a young child. You try and leave a child aged two or three behind when you go on holiday. You say that your senegal is starting to pluck now and you havent been on holiday. Well most African parrotspecies get in breedingcondition during the wintermonths (Ihave three breedingpairs and they all start breeding around New Year). As petparrots cannot express their natural behaviour and most times are kept on their own so they cannot interact with other parrots of their own species they cannot deal with all these hormones rushing through their bodie and something will happen. Some turn nasty, some pluck themselves, some cope with normally and you wouldnt notices anything. Remember every parrot is an individual and their is no cure that can help every parrot that plucks itself. It is a combination of factors that will be different for every parrot. It is not as simple as most people think.

I tend to agree with the suggestion by "silver" It may well be sexual frustration. Also the pellets as suggested by vikky. We have removed Nutribird pellets from the "Nutricrunch" mix as I am keen to use only natural ingredients.

Checked the pellets - they are Exact Rainbow Crunchy, we buy them because Princess Blue loves them, I had no idea they might be dangerous :cry:

To clarify, Pip was badly plucked when we took her on, the hope was being with other parrots including another sennie might get her out of the habit. But it hasn't got any better, and like I say it has got worse at the moment. And you're right ruby, we could never consider moving on any of the flock - even though they hate each other, they do quite like hating each other!!!

I didn't realise it was breeding season now - the macaws are bad around December, and the others seem none noticeable compared to them! Perhaps explains why Miller, CAG is naughtier than usual!

I will try the camomile tea and have a read thrugh the threads, thanks mmm as always! However my problem is it is really hard to get her to try anything new - I tried disguising the calcivet with a little orange juice mixed in water today, and they all drank it apart from Pipee, who is a fussy little monkey!

Rachel

I have a goffin who plucks, and used to mutilate. June gave me some very, very good tips, that worked for her, although she still plucks at times, hasnt mutilated for two months, or worn the dreaded collar she was in. I mix echinacea, flaxseed and st johns wort into her seed, and this has made a difference.