Sign in to follow this  
Harry007

Cockatiel Eggs Help

Hi, i just got an email from a friend asking for help which i do not have an answer to as i have not delt with this kind of issue before, so here i am asking fellow parroty folks for help and guidence.

What it is, my friend she bought a pair of cockatiels and thier 5 eggs from a pet shop which had 7 cockatiels in the cage including the nest box init which didnt leave much room to fly, as 4 of the cockatiels where originally from the same pair as they are 3months old, plus 1 extra adult.

Neways, she paid whatever much the pet shop asked so she could get the pair away also that it will give the others more room as the nest box wouldnt be in the cage anymore.

The problem is, as soon as she got the pair home and the eggs which where inside the nest box when she brought them home, as the pair where in a carrier. She has put them in a cage with the nest box attach, but the female cockatiel has not gone and sat down on the eggs as its been over 4 hours now.

So, she wanted to know what to do as should she leave the eggs in the nest box and hope for the best as they where eight days old as the pet shop said. Or should she pin them and remove the nest box so they do not breed again?

If anybody know what to do, any info would be highly appreciated, thanks.

moving a nesting pair of birds is always a chancy practice . Sometimes it works and the parents resume nest box duties and at other times they don`t .

As to what to do with the eggs if they are chilled for a prolonged period they will not hatch so nothing need be done

As for removing the nest box that will depend on whether they want this pair to breed ! However I should also say that one of the perils of buying a breeding pair of `teils is that they will want to breed as and when they are ready irrespective of whether have a nest box or not. Yes you will read in books about removing the nest box but that normally refers to birds in outside flights . Birds kept indoors can and do breed at intervals through out the year

The hen cockatiel has not entered the nest box at all last night, so i presume the eggs would not hatch at all now.

Would it make a difference where the nest box is located? as When they where in the pet shop the nest box was inside the cage attached to the iner side wall of the cage. My firend has attached it onto the outer wall out side the cage as so it does not take up room and is easy to inspect it.

The hen cockatiel has not entered the nest box at all last night, so i presume the eggs would not hatch at all now.

Would it make a difference where the nest box is located? as When they where in the pet shop the nest box was inside the cage attached to the iner side wall of the cage. My firend has attached it onto the outer wall out side the cage as so it does not take up room and is easy to inspect it.

Position of nest boxes can make a difference , but many people do have the box on the outside of cages for the reason you give . Whether it would have made a difference in this instance it`s difficult to tell .

It`s usually with the more difficult species that that box position or type that can make a difference and almost it was the disturbance of the move from shop to home that has caused the problem . Oh and with `teils both birds incubate the eggs although the hen does do most of the work .

Hi Harry007

If the eggs have been cool for several hours and they are about eight days old they will have died of. Eight days is the most critical moment for the embryos. If the hen or cock havent gone back in the box by now the chances they will is very smal. Just remove the eggs and let them start again or remove the nestbox if you dont want to breed. However if they decide to breed they will lay the eggs on the cagefloor.

Spoke to my friend today, has told me that neither the male or female have entered the nest box so she has discarded the eggs.

As most people have said, if they do want to breed they will weather their is a nest box or not, so she has left the next box where it is on the out side of the cage.