Sign in to follow this  
Harry's Mummy

Chinchilla's tail is going bald - advice needed please?

Sky one of my chinchillas her tail onto has gone completely bald :shock: only on the top, the rest of her fur is fine, its just her tail.

Sky must be about 14 - 15 years old at least, and has always lived with her sister, they both appear healthy, bright eyes, lively, eating and drinking well, they have lots of toys, chews, varied diet such as hay, fresh fruit, bath is put in everyday.......

Could it be that I am now using cat litter rather than just plain newspaper or could there be another reason.......

Any advice appreciated please?

Only time mine had any fur problems around the back end was due to teeth problems, is he drooling at all wet or damp around the chest? Could just be overgrooming or maybe a reaction to the cat litter?

Nope, perfectly dry checked her all over, no discharge, no dampness, nothing just the top of her tail.......

I must admit I am wondering if it is the cat litter, as I was also fearing it could be fur biting but they both has loads of toys n stuff ...... and surely if it was that then wouldnt she have done this before ???

I really envy you having chins, I would love to take on a lilttle family of rescues. Unfortunately being in a wheelchair it is not really practical for me to have fast, furry things that I can't reach running around on the floor and hiding under furniture! :(

Hey I cant reach em or catch em either the little so n so's they are ;)

They are a sisters, and I rescued them from a lady who had 232 in her house at the same time :shock: :shock: the house was a gross mess, and I mean mess, but the chins were all beautifully looked after. I rehomed them as her neighbours complained the chins where a subject of cruelty and she had to rehome some of them but the RSPCA still took the rest away the next day, she rang me in floods of tears the poor soul.

The good news was, that all 232 of them was in excellent health and the RSPCA had to give them all back :lol:

Sky & Mitsi I have had now for almost 13 years, and this is the first time I have ever had to take either to the vets, so Sky is going on Monday afternoon.

Do you have anyone that could help you with the chins hun?

No, I live on my own. My problem comes when trying to work out how I can give them a big enough exercise area at a level I can reach, and what I would do if they escaped onto the floor.

I've picked out a possible cage and discussed it's pros and cons on the chin forum:

Posted Image

I've even looked into diet, toys, hammocks, health needs etc. I keep looking at all the dozens of rescues needing homes, but I just can't work out a practical exercise solution that would be safe for the chins.

I would love to hear from any other wheelchair users out there - who can't do floor to chair transfers - that keep furries, and how do you manage?!