Sign in to follow this  
Freddie

budgie with bald ?sore patch under his wing

Bruce one of my budgies i noticed today has a bald patch under one wing that has bled a little, he is constantly preening it and i notice there are some new feathers coming through there, i bathed it today with some cooled boiled water and got bitten alive for my troubles what should i do there are no other problems and he is full of life

cheers

debs

sorry to bump this but is anyone able to give me any advice, we have sprayed bruce well and he seems to be leaving it alone its just that i am going to wales tomorrow and hubby will be alone with the birdies and he is less sure of handling the birds

Sounds as if he is moulting and the new feathers are causing him irritation as they come through?

I think perhaps a light misting every now and again if he allows, a shallow bowl for him to bathe if he feels like it - I know that even though I have read budgies like bathing/misting mine hate it with a passion.

Keep an eye on it - if it worsens a trip to the vet when you return.

Hope that helps.

thank you i put a bath in there but bobby uses it bruce wont we will keep him misted which neither seem to hate but obviously will make sure he is dry before roosting. only away fri lunch til sat eve so if no better he will be up the vets up morning believe me, i wanted to try some moult ease or something but couldnt find any today if people think its a good idea then i will endeavour to find some