Sign in to follow this  
gary

Paralysed Conure - SAD UPDATE

I had a shock this evening when checking the flock....a 3 yr old Cock Pineapple was flapping around his cage unable to use his legs.

Upon catching him up & bringing him indoors....the whole of his legs & feet are just flapping limp....there's no feeling at all in his limbs when pinched....hes very healthy bright eyed eating a little.

My thoughts are he may have had a stroke?...Ive taken tomorrow off work to take him to the vets...but Im not very optimistic :( ....he took 4 years for me to breed him and was a marvelous breeding bird...always the case :cry:

Has any one experienced symptoms in a bird like this before?....in 35yrs breeding birds this is a first for me.

in a human a stroke normally affects one side of the body or the other not normally both the legs this is because it usually affect one side of the brain or other, could it be spinal damage below a certain level would affect both the legs or some type of neurological condition, sorry i cant elp hope someone will be along soon keeping my fingers crossed and a big hug for you gary

Im sorry to hear that gary,ive came across this once,not with my birds but a friends,same sort of thing,the bird was a green cheeked and was 7 years old,one minute it was fine the next it ws lying on its side on the cage floor,legs were limp no function and no response to a pin test in the foot............took in to the vet and was diagnosed with a stroke,with the added complication of blindness or a vision problem due to brain damage too,................the outcome wasnt good even without the vision problem and brain misfunction a bird with no working limbs stand very little chance unfortunatly,yes it can be hand fed but its about quality of life..may be a back injury.....did he fall do you know?

GOOD LUCK M8

Gary if it`s both legsI don`t think it`s a stroke ! Strokes are normally one sided .

I`ve just checked my manual of Psittacine birds & that suggests that if there is both legs paralysed it`s probably due to infection !--- Have you contacted an avian vet for advice ?

Im in with the vet first thing....spoke to him earlier this evening & without seeing the bird is unable to offer any advice ...just keep him warm and as comfortable as poss......never thought about stroke only affecting one side so that looks unlikely......thanks for the advice as always guys :) .....been a bad old day to day :cry: .....lost a good few quid with me shares as well :cry:

Will let you know the outcome tomorrow :wink:

Hi Gary,

I am really sorry about your bird, Angel went off her legs three years ago (caused by the infection from the tumour in her eye.)

As you know she is still here and happy,even with only one eye and no legs and not being able to drink on her own.

So if you find that the legs are going to take a long time or not return to use at all I am always happy to nurse/look after the bird for you.

But hopefully after treatment the bird will be fine.

Good luck tomorrow.

June x

Gary, sorry to hear this, fingers crossed for this little one. Hope their is some better news tomorrow.

I would also have offered to nurse this little guy for you as June has, but June has far more experience than me with these things.

Good luck tomorrow mate

Well done June

I remember someone posted a link on here ages ago about a bird that flew into some boiling water and I think they had to amputate his legs? (anybody else remember that?) Anyway... they spoke about how the bird went on to have a super quality of life (mostly due to the dedication of the owners to provide it with one).

I cannot for the life of me remember where the link would be though. My first thoughts are that it may have been a love bird and it was posted not too long after I first joined here.

Yes I remember it was a love bird or something like that.

Angel can and does fly,and comes out when the rest of the birds are in,so yes they can have a good quality of like. :lol:

Dont want to appear a dope but you say angel can and does fly...............how does she land with no legs?........badly i guess like a plane with no under carradge?

just read that back and it sounds heartless?to me anyway :oops:

its a genuine serious question,i have no idea as ive never seen it

Dont want to appear a dope but you say angel can and does fly...............how does she land with no legs?........badly i guess like a plane with no under carradge?

just read that back and it sounds heartless?to me anyway :oops:

its a genuine serious question,i have no idea as ive never seen it

No, I thought the same, but remembering that story about the lovebird reminded me of what the bird learnt to do to overcome this sort of thing, they made special perches and carried it around and stuff. The story read a lot better and clearer than that though... it was a while ago and Ive lost more of my share of brain cells since then :lol:

the reason i ask is i just get visions of a legless bird constantly landing on its breastbone,what with todays wooden floors etc and glass,steel furniture i just imagine its breastbone taking alot of stick,be nice to see the thread your on about though if someone can find it,ive searched but cant see it yet