Sign in to follow this  
sparkkwing

Backpacking Willow

Posted Image

Posted Image

Took advantage of 'almost sunshine' and took Willow out for a short walk. Bumped into a couple of neighbours and tried to look as if it was perfectly ordinary to be walking along with a backpack on containing a parrot. Stopped for a little camera action, before taking the journey home - er! - followed by some facinated crows!

She has been very thoughtful since our return.

More piccies in photo bucket!

i desperatly want one of those gonna buy one after my hols in august if fund allow cos theyre a little of a luxury if you know what i mean

How come the sides of yours arent all chewed , i only got my cage couple of weeks ago and he chews the window edges like crazy when we are out with it ..yours is still looking brand new. itake Alfie out a few times aweek , like to my dads 25 miles in the car and 25 back i suppose thats when Alfie chews the most and at my age concern visiting for an hour he chews the sides :)

How come the sides of yours arent all chewed , i only got my cage couple of weeks ago and he chews the window edges like crazy when we are out with it ..yours is still looking brand new. itake Alfie out a few times aweek , like to my dads 25 miles in the car and 25 back i suppose thats when Alfie chews the most and at my age concern visiting for an hour he chews the sides :)

:D/ Cos its the first time I have used it!

Was thinking it looked rather nibbled when we got back! :?

Your photos are fab but I can't imagine my two sitting still they would be climbing about like mad to get out...but a great idea to get them out and about and your looks as if he is really enjoying it.

I have to say I think she was absolutely gobsmacked! Can't think of a better way of putting it. She loves to look out of the window, getting excited or spooked by whatever is going on. She sqwarks, flys to another perch, and then comes back for more, and so on! Suddenly, she was actually out in it all, feeling the wind, and hearing the sounds without a plane of glass between it and her. She has had three brief trips out in the garden with a harness, but it has been too cold/wet to do much. And being only 5 months old, she has hardly been in the 'great outdoors' yet.

We were only out for half an hour at the most but she was shattered when we got back and immediately fell asleep on her perch, as if to process all that experience!

We won't mention all the growling at my very nice neighbour though! :oops:

So cute that picture is so clear and lovely , you must have a good camera :) Alfies off in his adventure pack today , down to visit my parents :)

Thanks! Got myself a kodak digicam about 4 years ago, followed by a Nikon Coolpix after I managed to break the kodak one. This got nicked a year ago last NYE (and its funny but I knew it would be somehow - whoever took it would have been quite disapointed as rather battered by then and no real value - except to me grr!).

Since photography had become a major passion (finally know what I want to do when I grow up - which is a shame at 50 ha ha! :oops: ) - splashed out on Canon 400D, though shamed to day I have yet to get to grips with all its functions. Also use Adobe photoshop elements 2, which I also havn't yet read the manual of, just 'played' with it, and come up with some interesting results.

Hopefully Willow will come with me on many photo sessions soon.

Very like parrots, the basic cost is enough - then there is all the other stuff you need! Actually, the cost works out pretty similar to Willow and all her gear. But a copy of something like Adobe Elements 2 would probably only set you back a few quid, might be worth checking ebay. Its amazing how a few tweaks of this shadows, highlights, colour hues etc can improve a picture, never mind the other wild things you can do, ie. my parrot groups!

This is an example of what I mean -

Posted Image

Sorry - gone a bit off topic!

Hope you don't mind me asking but where did you get the parrots backpack from. I have 2 greys and I would love to take them out with me. I have tried a harness but can't get them to wear it and this would be a great alternative.

I got mine from Northern Parrots, price currently £109.99. Yes, a bit extravagant, but I hope Willow will be an out and about bird, if that ia alright with her! She is also doing ok with an aviator harness - had three short trips into the garden. The breeder I got her from had got her used to one before I got her - which helped!

Have to admit I did not look at an option of getting one cheaper from America - not sure what the savings would be.

Thanks for that. The one on Northern Parrots site seems to have a domed top whereas yours looks to have a flat top. Am I mistaken or is the top part detachable.

Thanks for that. The one on Northern Parrots site seems to have a domed top whereas yours looks to have a flat top. Am I mistaken or is the top part detachable.

Yes, there is a bit you can fix to the top with poppers, which will store a few bits and pieces for your trip which gives it a more rounded appearance.