Sign in to follow this  
timmney

advice needed on sick yc amazon

our yc amazon was diagnosed by the vet with a enlarged liver and with high levels of urinary acid. the prognosis was less than 50% of survival. this was now 3 weeks ago. she is a aviary bird, at the moment indoors, and seemed to have perked up now that she is under the heatlamp. is it safe for her to go out into the aviary again? as she is getting restless in the cage.and would we need a heatlamp in there? which one would you advise on. and where can i get the heatlamp that only gives heat of not light, as our pet parrot does'nt go to sleep and is really grumpy. heatlamp is nearly on for 2o hours. and the last question is, could she be going mad? as she is climbing around in the cage and on floor trying to destroy everything in reach ( foodbowl, paper).

sorry for all the questions but i'm new to having aviary parrots and can use a bit of advise.

thanks

ell

I agree, I wouldn't look at putting her back out now until the weather is much better. The behaviour you describe could just be her frustration at being in a cage when she is used to an aviary. Have you got her in a nice quiet room in the house where she isn't being disturbed as this should help to calm her down?

If the bird seems fit and active you do not need a heatlamp. However unless you have a heated aviary shelter that you can confine her in you will have to keep her indoors. A sudden drop in temperature could be very serious.

thank you for the replys. she only had antibiotics for 7 days. then we changed her food to harrisons (which she loves). she then was fine for 2 weeks. and suddenly she reduced the amount of food dramaticly( that's when she got the heatlamp) and now she's eating again.

she's not in a room by her self anymore and got very quickly used to everything. so i guess she must be annoyed to be in a cage. cause she loves to climb around in the aviary. we only have her for 8 weeks now. and she is indoors for 4 weeks now cause she got sick on boxing day. is it possible that she was already sick when we got her? as i don't know how long it takes for these illnisses to develop. we are looking to put her out again when it gets warmer and then going to look for a companien for her. as her partner escaped :oops: . will she be alright with female company? cause we don't think that she can be a breeder again, or?

well again thank you.

ell

thank you for the replys. she only had antibiotics for 7 days. then we changed her food to harrisons (which she loves). she then was fine for 2 weeks. and suddenly she reduced the amount of food dramaticly( that's when she got the heatlamp) and now she's eating again.

she's not in a room by her self anymore and got very quickly used to everything. so i guess she must be annoyed to be in a cage. cause she loves to climb around in the aviary. we only have her for 8 weeks now. and she is indoors for 4 weeks now cause she got sick on boxing day. is it possible that she was already sick when we got her? as i don't know how long it takes for these illnisses to develop. we are looking to put her out again when it gets warmer and then going to look for a companien for her. as her partner escaped :oops: . will she be alright with female company? cause we don't think that she can be a breeder again, or?

well again thank you.

ell

a lot of questions that need answering, but perhaps not all at once . As she was only given a 50:50 chance of survival perhaps you should slow down your plans for her future which if she fully recovers could be a lot more years . However enlarged liver etc. is not a disease but rather the effects of a disease (symptoms) , and in reality before you plan for the future ,which if she is fully cured could yet be many years, you really need to ensure that she has fully recovered from what ever caused the problem ------ this you need to discuss with your vet as there are many different diseases and conditions which may have caused her problems . Even though 4 weeks may seem a long time in reality it is not especially as she ? relapsed after 2 weeks . As for her having antibiotics for 7 days that may or may not have been long enough as it depends on the disease as to how long the treatment needs to be 5,7,10days or even months for some such as Psittacosis .

As to whether she was infected when you got her again that is difficult to tell as different diseases have different incubation times .

As to using her for breeding ,that`s something for the future and how well she recovers or not as the case may be . There have been reports of some antibiotics causing sterility in birds but that again is something only time will tell . As to getting her a companion/mate in the future ,that is in the future and there are a couple of months to go before it will be warm enough for her to go back outside . Time enough to access how she has progressed before deciding on what the future holds

thank you for your reply. the antibiotic treatment was started before the bloodresults came back, after the results came back, there was no further talking of treatment as the chances of surviving where slim. i really don't intent to use her for breeding anymore as i think it would be to stressfull for her and as you said yourself it could be a long time for her to recover if she ever recovers.

could anyone aswell tell me where to buy heatinglighting/ lightbulbs/tubes?

thanks again

ell