Sign in to follow this  
birdcrazy

BHC ATTACKING

Hi Everyone

My BHC Jerry has suddenly decied to start attacking me whenever he's out of the cage. He's been doing it now for over a month and actually flies to me to attack me.

He has done this before (over a year ago) to a male visitor in my house, he flew to him and bit him on the cheek - he needed to go to hospital it was that bad!

Jerry has never really liked men and that was a really unfortunate accident, now he is never allowed out when there is a man in the house, which isn't very often.

He now manages to bite me most days, I don't mean little nips, but really big nasty bites.

I have no idea why he has decided that I'm the enemy. It's almost like he's "unbonded" with me, he certainly doesn't love me anymore and as you can imagine it's heartbreaking.

I going on holiday in March and have arranged for a friend to look after him, but am feeling very guilty about leaving him with her when he's being so nasty.

Anyone have any ideas why he has turned so nasty. Nothing has changed in his routine and I don't have an OH for him to bond to. Any suggestions would be welcome. I need HELP!!!!

Hi Vikky

He doesn't appear to be poorly - I know birds are good at hiding illness, but all signs are normal. He's bright and perky, whistling like a good 'un, playing with his toys, climbing all over and his droppings look normal

He eats double dutch foods, and has fresh fruit and veg everyday, so that's not a problem.

He is not moulting and he's coming up 8 years old, I've had him since he was 5.

Thanks

No changes to me - may have got fatter over Christmas though :shock:

Of course it could be hormones I supose, but he doesn't attack either of my sisters, just me, which is why I said it seems like he's "unbonded" with me if there is such a thing!

I am sorry to hear you are having problems. Perhaps you might find some clues in this topic? ....

BASIC BITING INFO + LINKS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6744-basic-biting-info-links%c2%a9/

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

I also have this trouble with my BHC, he is only about 18 months so I am mainly putting it down to him growing up.

Although I feel that other factors include Hormones, Tiredness, jealousy (maybe not in your case) and Diet (as in too much food that might make them hypo).

I think that the main aim is to learn their behaviour...

To help handling you could get a buddy perch or a towel just used for handling.

Stitch bit my lip quite badly and I'm admittedly finding it difficult to get my confidence back with him, as their beaks are seriously sharp and I am a bit of a wuss, b ut then I also play the violin so I really want to avoid as much injury as possible.

:roll:

The same going on here with our sun conure, definitely hormones, he starts just before xmas right through until May time usually hes finished his moulting also by then, unfortunately we just have to ride it out and distract at every opportunity, he also attacks the other birds, he is a little demon at this time of year. Good luck :)

I had a similar thing with one of my caiques too. Mine is a hen. We took her to the vet and after an examination the vet said it was her hormones - an excess of them! She basically had a course of parrot HRT and that with some different treatment from me worked a treat. Harry was over bonded to me, which I know was true. It can also be connected with dominance issues too. The vet told me not to let Harry out if I was the only person in - I felt really quite guilty over that - Harry just carried on as normal basically. It took a few weeks but now we have our sweet baby back again!

One of my Caiques (hen 2 years) is the same. She suddenly decided that she would fly to my youngest son and bite him, because the bite hurt, my son then became very wary of her and she picked up on this immediately and would take any oppertunity to fly to him and bite.

We still haven't completely overcome it and I have to make sure that he isn't left alone in the room with her. I make sure that my son has a ready suppy of pine nuts in his pocket and when she does fly to him he tries to distract her with a nut. It usually works as she is very fond of her stomach.

I think it is hormones, and will calm down over time. My BHC Pepsi suddenly started like this a few months ago, taking instant dislikes to people where she never did it before. I cant trust her round strangers at the moment :cry: She is fine with me and my son, but no-one else right now, but this is just typical of what they can be like when hormones hit.

Wow I opened a whole can of worms!

So I just put it down to hormones and ride it out? Still love him despite the fact he hates me. Most of the family are telling me to get rid of him, but I can't do that. :(

I don't think the fact that I'll be away for 5 weeks is gonna help the situation. I suppose I'll just have to start all over again when I get back :roll:

Such is life with birdies :D

Billy's latest hormonal phase started yesterday and usually lasts 10 - 14 days. He is always worst early afternoon, so he goes back into his cage for a couple of hours until things have calmed down (a bit!).