Sign in to follow this  
sharongooner

A Parrots ability to identify themselves

How does a parrot know another parrot is the same species as themselves?

IE. How would one Congo African Grey know another one is one, as opposed to a cockatoo or a sparrow?

Do they have an inbuilt ability to recognise their own species?

.... this is one of the many questions I puzzle over in the middle of the night lol!!

CAGS are single species flockers.and will chase off any other parrot/bird that attemps to join so yes i would say its an inbuilt thing...........i cant really answer for the multi species flockers as it obviously doesnt matter to them whos hanging around................i have a vast libriary of this very interesting subject and glad it has finally been brought to light.How often do we hear members commenting on the noise levels of there birds and the fact that they dont get on with your other birds.................believe it or not alot of the problems with noise and not tolerating other parrots boils down to the difference in multi and singular species flock behaviour.................eg...........a small parrot that multi species flocks in a flock of bigger louder birds soon learns that to be heard abouve the bigger birds to attract a mate etc will have to yell louder.......you will also find that 9 times out of 10 single species flockers are relatively quiet as they all have the same output within the flock.......oh im gabbling arnt i ? sorry but ive been studying the subject for a very long time and it does interest me

i'm been wondering something similar. i've heard that birds that are a different breed but from the same continent will usually get along better than say an african parrot and an amazon. so my question is thus, how do they know that the other bird is from the same continent?

how does pickles and mogwai get on together and with your other birds,is the tolerance level between them two the best or do some of your other birds have there favourite buddies and preferences?

the only bird pickles doesn't really get along with is apple my sennie. mogwai is just a star & gets along with everyone. and when my hahns is out of the cage, she just wants to be with us & doesn't bother with the other birds. i think just takes a bit longer to accept a new flock member than the other. she was same after we got our hahns but they get on o.k(ish) now.

having said all that, the only bird apple took to straight away was another sennie. we looked after sally in the summer while her owners went on holiday. she was a great bird & she (although i think she was a he) & apple hit it off straight away.

just wondered as pickles is also one of the very few single species flockers too,pionus will also chase away other species attempting to join there group in the wild

yes she has,it just goes to show that instinctive natural behaviour in the wildcan and does simmer once captive bred birds are brought into our homes.I would have thought 2 birds that single species flock ie bh pionus and cag would have been the worse two birds to share an environment,just goes to show that the human flock has a huge impact on what is instinctive behaviour

I would have thought 2 birds that single species flock ie bh pionus and cag would have been the worse two birds to share an environment,

and it's my pionus and my grey that are in the same room.

Merlin and Charlie are both CAGS and they seem happy together even though Merlin's colouration is quite dark and Charlie is silvery. So, to take the thought a little further, will a CAG bond/mate with a TAG ( making a allowances for the fact that some birds simply don't get along)? Do they know the difference between 'sub-species'?

imo a Cag and a Tag,living together,there is always the possibility that they will for a close bond,if the environment was right and a nestbox etc available im sure they would mate wether anything would come of the copulation is another thing.........ive recently seen pic that were very disturbing of the consiquenses of breeding bhc with ytc.I think it would also (in the wild )depend on the region they live and there proximity to each other.......but in our homes we can introduce these sub species no problem........hence imo hideous hybrids/crosses/-mutations

CAGS are single species flockers.and will chase off any other parrot/bird that attemps to join so yes i would say its an inbuilt thing...........i cant really answer for the multi species flockers as it obviously doesnt matter to them whos hanging around................i have a vast libriary of this very interesting subject and glad it has finally been brought to light.How often do we hear members commenting on the noise levels of there birds and the fact that they dont get on with your other birds.................believe it or not alot of the problems with noise and not tolerating other parrots boils down to the difference in multi and singular species flock behaviour.................eg...........a small parrot that multi species flocks in a flock of bigger louder birds soon learns that to be heard abouve the bigger birds to attract a mate etc will have to yell louder.......you will also find that 9 times out of 10 single species flockers are relatively quiet as they all have the same output within the flock.......oh im gabbling arnt i ? sorry but ive been studying the subject for a very long time and it does interest me

lol its not gabbling... I understood every word!

but say if a timneh and a congo bred, do they know that they're breeding with a slightly different breed?

this is what I want to know. Is there an animal attraction to the same species? Or do they sleep around with any old bird?

Let's face it humans CAN breed with siblings, ie it is biologically possible, but we have mechanisms called taboos which prevent it happening.

Different species of parrot, even birds from different continents such as an Indonesian Cockatoo and a S.American Amazon can form a pair bond in captivity and indulge in mutual preening etc.

Siblings of the same species of parrot can reproduce as far as I know.

Just a guess: African Greys probably do not encounter many different species in their natural habitat as Africa is relatively parrot-poor.

However anyone who has seen the film of the clay cliffs in Peru will see all sorts (Macaws, Amazons, Pionus, Parrotlets.....)visiting the clay together so maybe S. American species are more tolerant.

However anyone who has keep breeding pairs of Amazons will know how NOT tolerant they are when breeding, ie they would kill ANYTHING that entered the aviary!

Sharon posted

stephie wrote:

but say if a timneh and a congo bred, do they know that they're breeding with a slightly different breed?

this is what I want to know. Is there an animal attraction to the same species? Or do they sleep around with any old bird?

Not a parrot - but a bird nonetheless....

Think of the cuckoo. It NEVER even sees its parents or any siblings.. It can't have any idea what it's own kind looks like!

Yet cuckoos pair up and breed.

Amazing.