Sign in to follow this  
Guest choccyb

Removing feathers for sexing

Guest choccyb

:( I did the deed today and removed a few feathers from my pair of BH Caiques Merry and Pippin, and also from my baby Jardine Boo.It was awful and I do not ever want to have to do that again.

My OH helped and we started with Merry. The plan was for him to hold the birds when I took 3 feathers with tweezers. lol. I couldnt get the feathers out cos I am a total wimp and they didnt come out as easy as I thought. Swap over time- I tried to hold Merry with the towel but she got me and attacked my fingers leaving some nice holes. Got hers done and on to Pip. He had to be netted and held down but managed to not get bitten by him. Watchin the feathers be pulled was horrid and made me feel bit queasy what a wimp.

Phil thought it was funny watching my face. I decided we couldnt do Boo as I didnt want to hurt him even though the birds didnt flinch but Phil decided we were doing them all so out came Boo. I held him in the towel just in case but he was good as gold lying in my hands and that was job done.

OH's conclusion - I will never make a nurse/vet etc cos I am a total wimp!!!!

Birds seem fine and no worse off for the experience, just me feeling guilty.

Will get them sent off and then play the waiting game for the results.

Stacey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :roll: :roll:

Guest choccyb

I keep calling him a him altho no idea why. He has quite a flat head altho I have no idea what a female Jardine looks like lol. Boos breeder kept saying she and her so could go either way altho I am betting on boy., xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We used to use feathers for dna sexing,but soon realised that we are too soft to pull out feathers......we now use mouth swabs and its a hell of alot friendlier,granted the birds are babies so its alittle easier but you know birds they will put anything in there mouth if you offer it.............the hard bits getting the swab back

Well done. I've had my avian biotech little brown envelopes for months now, and still haven't had the courage to pluck a couple of feathers. I don't think I ever will now. Gucci, the CAG, arrived at 16 weeks as a "girl" and now, six months on, she is still a "girl". If she happens to be a boy then I hope she/he accepts my sincerest appologies. :lol:

Guest choccyb

Nightmare - avian biotech rang this morning, they need more feathers from pip as the ones we took are snapped at the base!! Oh I feel Faint. xxxxxxxxxx

Guest choccyb

Well I thought we got it out but they reckon not so whether it has got squashed in transit or something or we just didnt get a good enough sample I am not sure. There was definately no bleeding. xxxx

I'm too soft to pull out the feathers as well! I don't know what sex my baby CAG is either, but I've come to a conclusion now that I don't really care male or female. He is male to me and always will be :D