Sign in to follow this  
misty

lychees - advice

hi

I got some lychees for my lot today, is it ok once I have washed them to give them to the birds cut in half and just remove the stone, so leaving the skin on?

not that i know of,more of a choking hazzard i would presume,ive never given them,but they are on my safe list,dosent say anything about the stone though,so if anyone else does know,can you let me know so i can update my list

Chi has taken to remodelling my picture frames, he obviously has a great dislike of corners as none of them seem to have them anymore, when we move we are having an animal room and a nice sitting room. Ha wonder how long that will last before a beak finds its way in there.

Must be a cauique thing with picture frames Sue.

The fireplace has lasted three whole years.... at the rate they're at it now it'll see the week out if I'm lucky!

My grey Louis only seems to like the lychee stones and not the fruit! Surely birds eat all sorts of food items and we don't worry about choking hazards?

no,thats true,but as knew the fruit itself was safe,but i wasnt sure of the stone,i didnt want to say yay or nay lol,our grey prefers the stone in his plam nut to the flesh...did you find it on a safe list somewhere?

Never mind - the little bl**er aint keeled over yet. I was actually de-stoning the damned things for the caiques, turned round for a minute and the next second Louis was busy chomping on down on the stone. He seemed quite keen actually :shock:

That link says 'slightly poisonous' which as a term isn't really very informative!

Think back to apple pips - they contain traces of cyanide - but your bird would need to eat in excess of 1000 all at once for it to maybe suffer any harm. Perhaps lychee stones are the same....

i think if something is questionable,like you elle,i wouldnt take the risk,a bird at first may appear fine,but who knows if the toxins are building up to a dangerous level,maybe a healthy bird would fight it and break them down,but it a stressed or sick bird,maybe to continue feeding such things,could have a different affect on their bodies,and their ability to ward of the nasties............just my way of thinking,i could be totally wrong,i just dont like the thought,of something happening to my birds,when the information was available to say we shouldnt give it

My grey loves these - and has eaten a couple of the pips - when she went on a foraging mission to the kitchen, while my attention had been distracted. Actually, she would much rather mooch around the kitchen to see what she fancies than accept my humble offerings Ten minutes - and the kitchen is rendered a disaster zone!