Sign in to follow this  
nutterly_uts

I'd appreciate views on this (Jazz again)

I went to see Jazz today. I've come away with mixed feelings, and I'd appreciate honest views on this from you all.

When I got there Jazz was sat basically at ceiling level on his boing. He was really attentive and interested but wouldn't come down (which is fair enough.. he doesn't know me from adam) and wouldn't step for his owner although she admitted he doesn't always. He was really interested in me when I whistled and spoke to him, and he took a seed from my hand. He's a gorgeous boy.

I had a good look at his cage. Its a decent size, but the bar spacing is too big as someone else mentioned on the first thread when I linked the picture. Inside he has three plain wood perches (the kind the cage comes with) a feeder, drinker, a bell and a cactus wood kabob as seen on 24parrot. He didn't appear to have any other toys. He has a snuggle hut that he apparently uses while out of the cage, but has never had it in the cage.

He will apparently do anything for a peanut, and some peanuts were produced to try and tempt him down. They weren't the raw peanuts I expected but definately roasted and I suspect salted :( He wasn't tempted down by the peanuts lol

His feather plucking didn't seem too horrendous? He has chewed all the feathers on one wing and as a result cannot fly, and his chest is covered in down? It looks to me like he'd perhaps chewed that area bald before but that it was regrowing?

His owner eventually got him down from the boing with a tea towel, and he was happy sitting on her hand, then stepped up to me when I attempted to stroke him. He did test my mettle by biting me, and I have to say ouch! It definitely hurt just as much as I expected it would. I am a tiny bit scared of that beak, more of getting another sore bite then anything! Nahoa is so gentle, I'm spoilt I know.

He did a lot of head bobbing throughout my nearly hour long visit. I spoke to 2cay2 about what this could mean (wants some loving, baby regression, about to fly, excited etc) and I think with him its a mix of wanting to fly and wanting loving.

His owner is asking £250 ono for him along with his cage. I really don't want to pay that much for him and his cage, since I'll be replacing his cage asap and there is so much he doesn't have that I'll need to buy - plenty of toys, a bird light, decent food and a vet check. I don't think she'll drop the price - she kept throwing in things like his old cage and the hamster cage she takes him to the vet in and I can't justify paying £250 if I do get him. I'd much rather spend the majority of that money on things for him rather then to buy him. As much as I hate to say it, I have 3 other pets to spend money on and I just can't afford to shell out hundreds for him and then additional hundred/s on the stuff he needs. If I had the money, I'd happily pay it, but I need to be realistic.

Would I be really out of order to try and negotiate her down in price? What on earth could I say? I have a rough rough idea in my head of explaining i'm interested, really want him, but that because he'll need x/y/z i'll happily pay x amount for him but that I won't pay more then that, and that I know he's loved (because he is, don't get me wrong, its just bad for him love) but he needs the x/y/z to be happy and healthy. I don't know?

I left telling her I was still interested, but I needed a bit of time to think before committing for definite. She's holding him til Friday for me.

I am 110% sure I can provide the material things he needs, along with company and love and I don't think I'll ever regret getting him if I do, but I have doubts about if I'm the right person for him. I don't quite know how to explain it.

If you got this far, thanks

Carla

i wuld explain to her exactly what you said to us, its the honest truth, tell her how much you would love to have Jazz and how much you have to offer him all she can say is no/ tell her as the cage is lovely blah blah blah she should be able to sell it and the other stuff and make up the money you have nothing to lose go for it

I would think for a semi tame adult perfect condition brownheaded £250 would be a fair price, this bird is damaged and many birds in this conditon are often dumped in bird rescues for free. You are in jersey which must limit the sale even further, you do not want the cage and are expecting to make some serious purchases let alone vet bills, I would think twice, and offer no more than £125.

.... If I had the money, I'd happily pay it, but I need to be realistic.

Would I be really out of order to try and negotiate her down in price? What on earth could I say? I have a rough rough idea in my head of explaining i'm interested, really want him, but that because he'll need x/y/z i'll happily pay x amount for him but that I won't pay more then that, and that I know he's loved (because he is, don't get me wrong, its just bad for him love) but he needs the x/y/z to be happy and healthy. I don't know?

I left telling her I was still interested, but I needed a bit of time to think before committing for definite. She's holding him til Friday for me.

I am 110% sure I can provide the material things he needs, along with company and love and I don't think I'll ever regret getting him if I do, but I have doubts about if I'm the right person for him. I don't quite know how to explain it.

If you got this far, thanks

Carla

There is nothing wrong with trying to negotiate on price, but you did say she wouldn't negotiate, so that doesn't seem to hold out much hope.

Only you know how much you can afford to pay.

Only you know whether you can cope with the behaviour situation, although as you described it, it maybe that the bird is better behaved in a 'normal' situation than performing for a stranger.

It seems to me though that the bottom line is, why do you want this bird?

1) Is it because you have fallen in love with, and want THIS one?

2) Is it because you want another anyway and this one is available?

3) Is it because you want to rescue it.

If it's (1) then you'll find the money one way or another.

If it's (2) it sounds as though you have major doubts and we would say "if in doubt, throw it out"...you'll know when the right one comes along.

If it's (3) , well, if it needs rescuing so badly, then the money to get it seems a relatively minor point and important as toys and things are, getting it into an improved environment is the major step.

Just our thoughts.

carla i feel for your predicament,but would it be possible for you to bite the bullet,pay the money and then recoup what you have lost by selling the sundries,it sounds to me like the plucking is due to her diet and boredom,im sure if you took her home you would see an instant change in her,you could try going in with a low offer and see what they say,if they had their birds best interets at heart they would willingly lower the price,all you can do is ask,she does sound a darling little bird,i would have loved to have taken her on,shes sounds like she just crying out for love,doubt if anyone will come along to give her a home as good as yours,with as much back up as you have..........my opinion is this,try with a reduction in the price,if not,get that bird out of there,i doubt it will be around for much longer on a diet of salted peanuts

£250 does seem a bit steep. However you could take the cage, although not perfect, and save for a better one. It is not necessary to spend loads of money on toys immediately. Most parrots are perfectly happy with some nice clean bits of willow or hazel to chew on. As for the vets, this may be a bit contentious but what is a vet likely to tell you? If you take him to a vet and he has a serious health issue then what would you do? Most plucking is as a result of poor diet/ lack of stimulation and/or frustration. The diet can be changed without spending a fortune (unless the vet recommends Harrisons!).

Unless you have an Avian Vet who has experience of dealing with plucking birds then he/she is probably just going to charge you a lot of money for a few tests which may or may not indicate the cause of the plucking. If I was offered this bird I would make the decision on the basis as suggested previously: how much do I want it and can I afford it?

I have bought many birds in my time but never on the basis that I would buy one and then take it to a vets to see if it was OK.

It seems to me though that the bottom line is, why do you want this bird?

1) Is it because you have fallen in love with, and want THIS one?

2) Is it because you want another anyway and this one is available?

3) Is it because you want to rescue it

I haven't asked if she'll negotiate on cost yet. I just don't think she will because of the way she kept finding things to throw in like his old cage etc. I may be wrong.

Those points are definitely food for thought and have got me thinking.

I can afford to pay £250 for him and still have money left to spend on things for him, but this leaves me no emergency money for the month. This isn't something I grudge, but obviously it means I have no money left if I need to rush one of my animals to the vet for example. Luckily, I work at my vet's and so if this happened I can get treatment for them and pay later so to speak, but I hate being in that position of having no backup for the unexpected.

The toys, bird light etc I know aren't urgent urgent things, but I think they're things that make an instant difference. I have some extra toys from Nahoa, so toys are probably bottom of my list, but I know the light is something I want sooner rather then later since so many sources confirm the light is good for them, especially in the case of pluckers

I'm happy to get the cage he lives in (I need somewhere to put him!) but it'll be replaced the moment funds allow. If she sells him lower then the sooner he goes into that new cage.

I want to take him to the vet to rule out mites and things, as unlikely as they are. I also want the 3 bird vets (2 are bird owners/breeders, one is just bird interested) to take a look at him, and especially for the head exotics vet to take a look at him. He's already offered to help me combat his plucking as best he can. I do think it is behavioural rather then mites etc, but by getting him checked we can confidently rule out that cause and work on the others.