nutterly_uts

New home, new name?

Should I rename Jazz?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I rename Jazz?

• Yes, completely new name
    • Yes, similar to his one old
    • No, it should stay the same

being honest i would stick to his old one.... but then i dont know.... either way i would go for one that rhymes with jazz

mazz?

bazz?

sass?

Personally, I always change the name of a bird that comes to me as a rescue (and has had a sad or bad past) to one that sounds nothing like the 'old' name.

Just my silly little idea maybe but I honestly think it helps him/her to have a total restart, a fresh new leaf in life.

Thats what I was wondering Roz.

(Btw the poll should have a no option.. I'm not sure why it didn't show?)

I do like the name Jazz, but I wondered if a new name would be a good idea. If I do change it, it'll probably be an indian name to reflect his past, along with a meaning linked to him. So Nahoa means bold and cheeky, and is Hawaiian. I couldn't find a Brazilian name I liked, and his colors seemed like a paradise, so linked to Hawaii (my mind works in weird ways I know!)

I'd keep his name - I'd think it was a little bit of something he knew. I saw a dog training programme where the trainer said 'dogs don't care what happened in the past, thats a human thing' Birds could well be similar.

Personally I kept the names of both Sindy and Robbie - rehomes rather than rescues.

Both had had wonderful lives before they came to us from very caring owners.

If I was rescuing a parrot - ie one which had been neglected or abused and in need of rescue as opposed to a new home - then I might well change the name. Unsure really as I have not had experience of this.

edit to add - I voted No, it should stay the same as this is what I probably would do. I think. lol

Not really sure about this one so we haven't voted.

We have the same dilemma with Charlie.

We believe he is a she, and had planned a new name but can't think of one that fits - the ones we'd planned on don't suit her!.

She doesn't really seem to know that she is called Charlie, so that isn't a problem, so guess there ought to be a 'don't know' option on the poll!

name the same. even tho Sonny and Cher is sorta dorky. when I first got them, just saying their names they would at least turn and look at me. if I thought they were abused and screamed at them while calling names maybe different, such as Roz stated as an abused bird.

I voted for a similar one, but tbh I didn't change the names of any of mine, apart from Max, who had been named by the girls in the petshop Graham (greenwing). but he had only been called that for a week or two.

But Blue had a bit of a rubbish past, so we called her Princess Blue, and now we often call her Princess. But we did that over months, using both names, so she understood we were referring to her!!

Whichever you decide, as long as it is obvious to birdie that you are giving him love and cuddles, I wouldn't have thought he would mind either way!!

Rachel

Not really sure about this one so we haven't voted.

We have the same dilemma with Charlie.

We believe he is a she, and had planned a new name but can't think of one that fits - the ones we'd planned on don't suit her!.

She doesn't really seem to know that she is called Charlie, so that isn't a problem, so guess there ought to be a 'don't know' option on the poll!

:twisted: :twisted: have you not heard Charlie girl :wink: :roll: :roll: --------in any case is it not used instead of Charlotte ?

:twisted: :twisted: have you not heard Charlie girl :wink: :roll: :roll: --------in any case is it not used instead of Charlotte ?

Yes, to both, but never having known a Charlotte, a female Charley isn't anything more than a tv character thing to me, and anyway, Charlie still sounds masculine to me, perhaps because I had an Uncle Charlie

Guest Gwydhyel

I suppose it depends on whether you really hate the name or not.

I kept Summer's name because she has a good awareness that it is her name, and it is OK (ish). I changed Lola's because she had been called "it" :cry:

If Summer had been called something like Polly or Malcolm - I would have changed it! :lol:

He's 6. I'm off to see him in 2hrs, so I will be able to see how he's currently treated and how he responds to his name. I quite like his name :) The only reason i wondered if it needed changing was if people thought a new name should come with a new start :)