Sign in to follow this  
MadMudMob™

Handrearing from the egg?

how many of you have handreared from the egg / day old, I have heard different view on handrearing from an egg / day old, and was curious as to how many people have had to do it. I hope that I dont as I want my birds to raise them themselfs but in an emergancy, would like to know what to do.

Ive hand reared a few....when I first started breeding many years ago as I thought that was the way to go.....didnt take me long to see what a fool I was.

Out of choice no....out of necessity onlyif we had to.....incubators & brooders are always on stand by in the breeding season.

hi, i have had to do this with some of my macaws as i have two pairs that wont incubate their eggs and believe me i have tried.

after the chick has hatched i leave well alone for a couple of hours, i leave it in the hatcher in the high humidity. i then check the baby , in particular the cord area and its tum you can often see yellow through its skin, this is the egg yolk and this continues to feed the chick even after hatching. i put a little "betadine on the cord that i keep in the hatcher so it is not cold taking care not to damage the cord in any way i give the chick a tiny amount of cooled boiled water after around 2hours at about 41/42 degrees . i leave the chick in the hatcher for the first day and give it water every 2 hours (if the chick hatched late in the evening i do this through the night for one night only, if it was a day time hatch i give the last feed at 11pm then again at 7am) day 2 i give a small amount of probiotic and if the yellow yolk has gone i can begin very very runny feeds, with kaytee this is a 1-6 mix. however if the yolk is still visable then i leave until day 3. If by day 4 the chick is emptying his crop well then the last evening feed i will make the feed slighter thicker a 1-5 mix and begin extending the time betwen feeds.

the chicks bedding of very soft tissue must be changed at each feed and ensure that the cord is kept clean. i keep the chicks in small margarine containers and increase the size as they grow.

i hope that this gives a little insight into what is required, it is time consuming but very rewarding,

I have incubate and rear the first round of egg only for the first time the birds lay but these are from rare species to ensure the blood-line.Transmission of disease from parent birds to the egg is thought to be almost impossible(the shell does need cleaning though)hence this is why incubation can be an asset.I also incubate eggs from pairs that have dead in shell on a regular basis,this is to try and work out if the parents are at fault in their incubation of the egg.Also many parrots will lay more fertile eggs than they can rear.

in a nutshell, keep the chick well hydrated in a warm humid brooder and give small amounts of water every couple of hours then progress to feed when the yolk has absorbed fully.

i,m sure if ever you have a problem there are plenty of people on here can give you some help