Sign in to follow this  
vikky

anyone got any experience with chinchilla's?

my neighbours daughter wants one,but i always thought they would be a bit scatty as a childs pet???? or am i wrong,it would have the best of everything,the daughter is 9..........any advice would be welcomed :wink:

Sorry chick, no real advice apart from they are scatty and smell a bit (my auntie used to keep them and boy did they pong!!)

Couldn't help but sing "chinchilla who got the keys to beema" when I saw the title :lol:

I have two and they dont smell at all, are you thinking of ferrets? lol they are lovely creatures if handled daily from young they are calm and love cuddles. They are destructive when out of their cage though so you have to watch where they go. I would recomend them as ideal pets for kids, they done bite either but then need to be handled well and carefully they are not very big and could get hurt easily.

i always thought that chins weren't very good pest for children. i've recently been looking for a pet for amber & was put of chins for a couple of reasons. but i don't know anyone directly that has them & never spent any time with one. my honest opinion, the best pet for a child is a mini lop rabbit. rabbits make good pets anyway but the lops are more cuddly and enjoy being handled more than the other breeds of rabbit.

They are destructive when out of their cage though so you have to watch where they go.

What more than a caique?..... or two... :oops:

I'd say a rabbit would be better for such a young child. House rabbits are great fun. Don't chins do a fur shed thing if they're handled roughly or suddenly?

I have two chinchillas.. they don't smell but they do scatter their food etc everywhere... They are incredibly cute and soft and I agree if handled frequently are very gentle and rarely bite. If they are not handled they are incredibly wriggly and difficult to hold, I give mine regular freedom, in a room where there are no wires (I choose the bathroom) and often sit with them and read or do a crossword so I can keep and eye on them or they might nibble the skirting... my book, toes etc often get a nibble LOL but I love to interact with them. My two (Cheech and Chong) are spoilt.. but they wouldn't have it any other way LOL

Hi there i had a chinchilla for a pet when i was a child. i handled her all the time and she never bit me, used to love watching her bathe in her sand bath, they don't smell at all and are really clean. mine used to bathe everytime she was handled and then put back in her cage.

they are naturally gnawing pets so must be supervised when out, but you can buy lots of toys and chews for them these days.

my chinchilla used to share my bedroom ( i showed off for her to stay with me lol) i soon found out that her cage took up alot of my room and she liked to wake up when i was sleeping or trying to. she seemed alot happier in the living room anyway because she had more company and interaction other than just me, i was never sure how long they lived i think the average life span was 8-12 years i had mine for 12 years and she wasn't a baby when i got her. they can shed fur if grabbed or scared as in the wild if some prey caught them they would shed fur and they prey would only get away with some fur and they can also spray urine if they feel threatened, although mine never did this, they should never get wet ( they wont multiply like gremlins lol) they have to have water through a feeder bottle as they are originally from the desert and getting wet could cause infections similar to foot rot in rabbits.

hope this helps will let you know if i think of anything else, the web should have loads of info about chinchillas too.

i would say they make great pets and not too much trouble, big enough to handle but not too big to make a child feel intimidated.

good luck

Posted Image to the Parroty Place, Geebop1978. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

thanks guys,thats fantastic input,she has been reading this thread and i will let you guys know what she decides to do,but just to add,a bunnie as know been thrown into the equaiton too,lol ........

welcome gebop1978.........thanks for your great post,you certainly know your stuff

they can shed fur if grabbed or scared as in the wild if some prey caught them they would shed fur and they prey would only get away with some fur and they can also spray urine if they feel threatened, although mine never did this, they should never get wet ( they wont multiply like gremlins lol) they have to have water through a feeder bottle as they are originally from the desert and getting wet could cause infections similar to foot rot in rabbits.

Yes they can urinate at you if feel threatened (or if they don't like you).. one of my two once aimed at my son LOL... male chinchillas also have a rather rude little habit, I am embarressed to even type what it is... but it is to do with cleaning their privates... I'll let you guess LOL

I have a chinchilla and she is the friendliest rodent I've ever had. They are brilliant pets. She doesn't smell at all and is very clean, she poops in a litter tray so its easy to clean out. she squeeks to the parrots and comes over for tickles and cuddles when you come in the room. She is much cleaner and less smelly than my rabbits, guinea pigs or rats. They do move quick but so do other small animals. I recommend them as pets. They do need to be kept cool in summer though as they can get heat stroke.

Emma

thank you all so kindly. i'm usually on here looking for advice and info lol

everyone seems great and i managed to find a bird just right for us all from sazzyjazzy. he's settled in just fine. thanks for all the kind comments. good luck with the chinchilla pet decision.

regards to all

Gaynor