Sign in to follow this  
nutterly_uts

Info on Brown-headed Parrots

Hi all

I think I may be mad, but I have just emailed to about a brown headed parrot for sale in my local classified ads. (It is for sale due to owner being pregnant according to the ad)

Partly as a birdy buddie for Nahoa, and partly because it looks so sad in the picture and its cage looks small and boring?

http://www.jerseyinsight.com/classified_images/108871P1010001.jpg

I suspect it has already been sold (advert was put up 4 days ago) but just in case I guess I better do my research. From googling I understand they are similar to Nahoa in size, vocalisation and mimicking ability? I read they love toys, which is no problem as I have a toy buying fetish ;) What else do I need to know?

Edit: I know in an ideal world I should do my research thoroughly before adding a new parrot species to my family, but if this girl is still for sale I'd rather give her a fab home (or at least I think I could offer a fab home?) versus someone who might just be able to give her an ok one?

Not Angela's thing - bit too small :( I just can't stop going back and looking at her and wanting to get her a nahoa sized cage with a million toys

Glad Mango liked it:) Nahoa is too spoilt[read fussy!] for his own good!

Brown headed are from the same family as the senegal and meyers parrot and are just as good as pets, never been popular due to them being the less colourful of the three, but now are becoming quite scarce.

Oh dear. Family are going to kill me. I have spoken to the seller and "Jazz" is reserved for me until the 25th.

His owner sounds lovely if a little frazzled and sad to give him up (I thought he was a she but it doesn't matter.. tomayto tomarto;) )

Jazz has started feather plucking since the baby arrived. Is this just due to stress of the new arrival or something else?

They are generally advertised as a beginners parrot, small, playfull, quiet, no special diet needed but as the bird is 6yrs old you be best to ask the current owners. they do have a larger sharper looking beak and could do a lot more damage than your conure :D

Poor thing - it could be plucking due to the stress of the new baby. I don't see why it should be any more difficult to care for than Nahoa. We don't find two birds any harder than one to be honest.

In my opinion the cage is not small for that type of parrot, but it IS the wrong type of cage. If it's the cage Im thinking of, the bar spacing is too wide for that sized bird, so I would look for something around the same size but with smaller bar spacing.

Let us know how you get on! :D

Brown heads are lovely parrots far nicer temperment than the senegal, it is unusal to see a brown head plucking unless like this one it is of breeding age, but changing his life and putting him near another parrot might be just what he needs.

John mckay keeps them if you want to find out more, i used to keep them but it was quite a while ago.

Good luck ann

Brown heads are of the same group as Senegals/ Meyers/Red-bellied ie Poicephalus. They have not been imported into the UK from Africa for several years and are unlikely to be in future. They were bred in decent numbers but unfortunately they were nearly all HR and sold as pets so now it is difficult to find breeding stock. If you wanted to help establish future breeding stock this is one bird which probably needs help.