Sign in to follow this  
student1

New Pics and foot banging!

Hi, I've put some up to date pics of Diesel on my photobucket, I hope you'll agree his feathers are looking much improved! :D Just shows what a bit of TLC can do! I've had him since the 27th Sept and he's still got a few more to grow back, although he keeps snapping off his flight feathers, I think he's doing it by launching himself off the top of the cage :roll: , I've not seen him actually biting them.

He also been banging his foot on the top of the cage today, does anyone know what this could mean? Is he attention seeking? I'll try and get a video, looks quite funny! I'm sure I've read somewhere that cockatoos do it, maybe he's a bit confused lol :lol:

Linds

x

Hi elle, I'd thought that about the foot tapping, but found this description

"Toe tapping is a rhythmic opening and closing of the foot. When this happens, sometimes the bird's nails click on the perch in the process and I guess that's how it got the name, but a more accurate description might be "foot clenching"."

on this website http://www.landofvos.com/faqs/faqs9.html

It's definately stamping, rather that opening and closing, his foot is open while he's doing it. I might reduce the amount of treats he gets anyway, pasta is a favourite!

Student 1 - he looks gorgeous, you are both doing a great job!!

I read the article about toe tapping, really frightening.

However, before you panic, one of my macaws often lifts his foot and slaps it down on his playstand five or six times. I think he does it for attention, and he seemed to start doing it when hubby used to slap/pat his knees and say "come on Max". I think he is copying!

He also only does it when hubby has another parrot with him , and is a jealous reaction, rather like the "wing-slapping" only seems to happen when one of them is cross about something.

At least that is what I always thought, but if anyone wants to correct me and it is a problem, I would like to know as much as you student1, incase I need to change his diet.

Rachel

I found it! I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

A video clip on Utube, of a toe tapping ekkie.

And these too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_6J5ywmbq4&feature=related

Be sure to read the "about this video" and the "comments and responses".

Wow, thankyou for those cgm, I was searching on utube today to see if I could find a vid! Diesel was only doing it this morning and I didn't have my camera handy! :roll:

He was definately not doing that, he was lifting his whole leg and slapping his foot down, I'm sure it was a protest at the dog staying with us! :roll:

His diet consists of brown rice, mixed with peas, carrots, brocoli, sweetcorn, sprouts and a small handfull of fruity parrot mix and seed on top and a big bowl of different fruit and veg, a hard boiled egg once a week and occasional treats of pasta, mashed pots, oven chips and large nuts.

I've bought some adzuki beans, quinoa, chickpeas and popcorn today, which I will be trying to sprout so he will be having those also.

He was on those complete parrot pellets when I 1st had him, and I have been phasing those out, my vet told me to do everything very slowly. I hope I am doing everything right! :wink:

:D

I've been trying to take a quote/link to kleo's comments about feeding ekkies. Can't do it - no idea why!!

I've given up and done a straight copy

"Absolutely an Eclectus's diet is mainly fruit and veg and beans and pulses. They eat tons of fruit, i mean bowls and bowls full every day and they mainly need the dark coloured veg containing vitamin A. Also Lori Nectar. Daylight and plenty of excercise. My Eclectus barely touch their seed mix. The web site Parrot lovers found Land of Vos is very good."