Sign in to follow this  
kleopatra

Eclectus unable to use one leg

I just pm'd David and thought maybe put this on the open forum to see if anyone has had a similar problem.

A couple of months ago i noticed an Eclectus hen hadn't been out the box to eat all day. I investigated to find her not looking right. Got her out and realised she coukdn't walk or fly and was dragging herself on the ground. I also noticed there was one egg in the box. I kept her in a carrier that night supervised and arranged to take her to the vet in the morning. In the morning she had laid a second egg in the carried.

We wnt to the vet and the diagnosis was nerve damage to the right leg due to being egg bound and he said it would take time to get better.

Over the las couple of months there has been slow improvements and in the last week she was practically good as new. Yesterday she ventured out and was flying around fantastically, but in an argument trying to claim back her cage and nest box from a different pair she must have strained that leg again as she is back to square one.

Anyone got any ideas???

:( sorry to say but there is not a permament cure for this type of problem , because once this has happened once it can / will happen again and "prevention " is the only cure apart from what you did last time !

Sorry to hear the news. From what you have said it seems that the best bet is to confine her and hope that she can strengthen the leg? Although it seems "mean" she may well damage the leg again if left to free fly?

It may not be relevant but I had the experience last year of a young Pionus that fledged and damaged its leg so badly that there was no feeling or movement in the foot at all. After a few weeks of confinement and foot massage it was fine and can now be seen on...........

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/15508-parent-reared-birds-as-pets/

Not that I suggest you try to massage Sybil!

lol........i certainly would not dare massage Sybil's foot. Its quite amasing that i'm able to get quite close to her to put her food bowls in without getting bitten. Poor darling will have to be kept confined again....she just seemed so much better. Wish i had not let her out. She actually sleeps in the seed bowl at night, i think its to keep the weight off her foot.

What happens in Sybils case is she gets her claw caught in the bars and as she is unable to use the foot she gets stuck and ends up hanging from one claw and i have to use an object to free the claw as even in that state she is trying to bite. I have put branches and perches close by so she can move around without trying to use the bars and these bars are 2.5 cm apart. Its the curved part of the claw. Very awkward situation.