Sign in to follow this  
womble

Aviary to home ? help please !

If you take a hand-reared hen parrot, then when young, put her into an aviary for three to four years, how easy is it to then bring that bird back into a house as a companion bird ?. Also, would it be a cruel thing to do ?.

Help please!!!!!! :?: :?

i would say it depends how much interaction she has had while in the aviary, we have handreared ones in an aviary but then i am in and out there all day and they are still very tame .

just give her time and patience and as we all know it will pay off

Not really sure how much interaction the bird has had with people, though it is disabled (cannot fly) so is taken indoors each evening, presumably handled.

It's not my bird, but one I'm thinking of buying. Have very little experience and worried about taking on more than I can handle.

I'm afraid I have no experience but just thought to say how kind of you to think of taking on an injured bird.

I expect some of our more experienced bird-slaves will be along soon.

Good luck!

Debs x

Many people managed to tame the petrified wild-caught parrots which used to be imported into this country - so I would say there is always hope. Especially as she was hand-reared.

There's a wealth of advice about gaining the confidence of a timid or frightened bird available on here - many people have experience of this.

If you are very tempted, and are prepared to spend as long as it takes, I would say don't be too afraid to go for it.

What sort of parrot is it?

A few more thoughts...

Will you be very disappointed if she never becomes cuddly tame?

If she is always brought indoors for the night she's probably used to being in a cage(?) so would probably settle indoors relatively easily. Is the cage included in the sale? This would certainly help her settle.

It won't be kind if I can't cope with it though.

I don't want to let the poor thing down by having to re-home her. If I take her on, it'll be for life and as I won't be able to keep her in an aviary (no garden), worried that the bird will be miserable indoors. Every book I've read says never to buy a bird out of pity.

CGM,

Thanks for that. I don't know about the cage being included, will find out. I don't mind if I she doesn't become cuddly tame, but would mind if she was distressed or miserable by being indoors.

Maybe I'm being too cautious. Think I just need reassurance from people who've been there !

As this bird is used to being in a cage at night and free to roam in a aviary the biggest factor in it`s life with you is how much time out of the cage it gets ------------- if it gets plenty of time out with a lot of fuss it shold be OK

Are you able to talk to the people who are selling her?

I think it would be a good idea to see how much you can find out about what she did when brought indoors.

And how much interaction she had with people.

Also, when she was in the aviary was she on her own?

What did she do - that she would miss indoors? (Not flying, we know.)

:D

She is an Amazon, so probably won't be as stressed out by the whole thing as, say , a Grey would. She is sharing an aviary with a pair of Amazons (but different species). She would get plenty of time outside the cage as I work from home & can give her a lot of attention. So I suppose the main problem will be the loss of her feathered companions and not being outside. ?.