Sign in to follow this  
Whiz

Shoulder sitting

Hi there,

Zu would like to sit on my shoulder and I am undecided whether to let him or not. I like the idea of him being there but am concerned that he would be very close to my ears and eyes and realise this could be asking for trouble say if he was startled in any way or was perhaps not on his best behaviour.

I've always said no to shoulder sitting but my daughter started letting him sit on her shoulder and he certainly liked it up there until I said I didn't think it was a good idea so she doesn't do it anymore.

I'd just like to know what you all think please.

Thank you

Alison

Charlie always sits on my shoulder, I know he shouldn't 'cos of injury to eyes etc. if startled - I were glasses so if he ever needs to "hang on" for whatever reason, he grabs the arm of my specs! :lol:

all my 3 sit on my shoulder,the only problem i have is trying to ge them off,especialy the macaw....

many a time ive had to hoover with him there

and even had to go the loo with him perch on my shoulder as he wont leave me alone once out of his cage

many a time ive had to hoover with him there

and even had to go the loo with him perch on my shoulder as he wont leave me alone once out of his cage

I always have to hoover & go to the loo with Charlie! :lol::lol:

Guest linds

Both mine sit on my shoulder Jock cuddles in Cassie (CAG) gives kisses not had any problems I know its a bad habit but I can't resist.

I love the "jock cuddles in", let me tell everyone that when I had him last weekend I was sitting on the sofa and all I could see sticking out from under my arm was Jocks butt. :shock: that boy sure loves to cuddle.

My 2 sit on my shoulder, infact Jaffa just loves to sit on my head. As long as he behaves himself this is fine by me.

Merlin loves to sit on Susie's head and on my shoulder.

We always get him off because the general concensus seems to be that it is a bad idea.

Susie doesn't mind him on her head, and in fact I actually wouldn't mind him on my shoulder except that he always goes for my ears and glasses and has sometimes tried to investigate my eyes, so he gets shooed off straight away, before he can do it.

I think it gets him confused when I shoo him off, because he seems to be strongly bonded to me and I can see the puzzlement in his face when I appear to not want him. So he sits as close as he can, doing nothing but look at me until the attraction gets too much and he can't resist coming for another try...with the same result.

Philip

Guest linds

I spoke to a very well known parrot behaviourist in the US about this as jaffa was wanting to sit on me all the time. What she stated to me was that if the parrot is well balanced at most times in their behaviour there is no problem with this at all. She said the instant he starts to mis-behave whilst up there to take him off but if he was behhaving, it was fine.

I can see where that point of view comes from but it does not take into account the facial bites some have received from a bird who is suddenly frightened by something .... could be as simple as a shadow of a wild bird flying past a window or a saucepan dropped in another room etc and etc

** A warning - if you walk around with your parrot on your shoulder please, please be aware that parrots have been lost when their owners stepped outside the house, completely forgetting about their bird. :cry:

It only takes a trip to the bin, or popping out to the garage for a tool, or....

Guest linds

yes that's another thing, you can sometimes be relaxed it remembering the safety things so you do have to try your best to remember this.

Just opening the door to someone is an issue.

This shoulder sitting thing is a right laugh innit?

a)

Every parroty book in the world tells you it's "wrong" and that demons from hell or lightening bolts will strike you assunder if you let your parrot sit on your shoulder.

B) Every parroty person in the world allows their bird to sit on their shoulder.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Every parroty person in the world allows their bird to sit on their shoulder.

I have never allowed a parrot on my shoulders and never will under any circumstances but I accept we each make our own decisions.

This shows what can happen:

http://parrotphotos.us/m2bite.html (and I have heard of far worse .... ripped cheeks and, in one case, the loss of an eye)

from ...

BASIC BITING INFO + LINKS©:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6744-basic-biting-info-links%c2%a9/

= from the INFORMATION TOPICS© section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

although i apprieciate what roz is saying and her reasons behind it,i also understand cheersm8 and others in there attitude to letting your bird on your shoulder,all our pets from rats to cats from dogs to rabbits can bite.A cat can do horrendous damage and so can a dog but we still let them near our faces?i personally dont do it as i cannot trust my birds enough ''with me'' to allow it but my hubby does,he actually has ollie the cag sitting on his neck when hes laying on the sofa but there relationship is one of 100% trust i know some will say he cant 100% trust the bird but you have to see them together to know what i mean.There may be a day when the bite comes there may not but if it does he wouldnt hold it against the bird and would continue to do it. I guess its a case of....we are all adults and know the possible risks and if we choose to do it and get bitten we deserve it i suppose.I do find it hard to understand what else the bird is going to do...........our shoulders are the only horizontal part of out body that the bird can really stand on comfortably?..................i as a handrearer dont buy the reasoning behind birds wanting to be there,i personally belive the biggest motivation to wanting to be there is the closeness they crave..........baby birds when you lay on the floor and interact with them love to be close to your face also,its a comfort to them,they fell close to you,feel the warmth of your breath and the softness of your skin.....................but like i said i dont do it but hubby does and im fine with that and ollie is more than happy.The most important consideration imo is do it at times you are not going to be disturbed.......parrots will deflect bite,in other words if someone /something they dont like and are affraid to bite disturbs them at this time they tend to bite the person closest to them,that is a parroty fact.

its a comfort to them,they fell close to you,feel the warmth of your breath and the softness of your skin....

Thanks for a nicely balanced view, Vikky.

I also have a feeling that it is a kind of natural bonding closeness...they preen each others heads and to do that, by definition their faces/heads are very close.

Merlin nips the back of my neck whenever he gets a chance, and it hurts and it one of the reasons I don't trust him on my shoulders. I'm actually sure he doesn't actually mean to bite, what I think he is doing is trying to get the small fine hairs that grow down the back of my neck and preen them for me! Trouble is, a CAG beak is a bit of blunt instrument in those situations and he can't help catching the skin at the same time. He does it with Susie too, but with her long hair it is no problem - he runs it through his beak and flicks it about.

I think, like so many things in life, it's a gamble which you may or may not win.

This subject does come up from time to time. Here's a link I've never forgotten - scroll down to showgirl's entry with gardener highlighted and read about the glass eye. :(

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/3767-no-subject/

(Despite this the gardener never gave up on his pet. :D)

Guest linds

It really is down to personal preference whether you do it or not, like everything else everyone has different views on it. Every single animal will have a natural reaction to bit at one point. It really is down to you and your bird and how close they are with you, how busy your household is etc etc There's never going to be a right answer you just have to decide what's best for yourself.

god just read the gardener ting, can you imagine a macaw beak sinking into your eye :shock: (shudder)

I am surprised no'one has mentioned the problems of doing things with a parrot attached to your arm, ie one handed! (Going to the loo for example).

But having looked at the injuries that can occur........ :shock: I can see why opinions are devided.

But how do you manage one handed? #-o

i manage easily..........my birds only come out when they have my full attention.......i live a far to busy life to be doing chores with birds attatched to various parts of my anatomy....out time is lounge door shut and full play time :D :wink:lol and im sure my birds wouldnt apprieciate being on my shoulder when morning lav visit is required lol :-s

I am someone who lost a bird because she was sitting on my shoulder. Some of you know that we had a dear African Grey called Beryl whom we lost last December. She was lost when I went outside with her on my shoulder forgetting that she was there. It was an extremely windy night and she lost her balance, I think, when I bent over to put something in the bin, and was forced to take flight and was then blown down the road... I suddenly realized that she was on my shoulder as I bent over and at that moment she was gone... I don't believe that she would have flown away deliberately actually. It was pitch dark and she wasn't stupid!

The reason I forgot she was there was that she spent so much time on my shoulder. She liked to accompany me while I did housework, watching everything I did. If I leant over she'd scramble down my back to keep her balance and then climb up again when I stood up straight. If I was doing something she found interesting, she'd sidle down my arm and investigate. Just a few minutes before I lost her I was chopping ginger and she was down there chewing at it...

I wouldn't change the fact that I let her sit on my shoulder. I just loved having her there. She smelt so lovely and was so soft and warm. I just wish I could turn the clock back and not have been so stupid as to have forgotten that she was there.