Sign in to follow this  
Maurizio

Yearly booster

Hello,

I had my parrot tested for psittacosis when I first got her, a year ago. Now the vet is writing to me that a booster is now due. To be honest I do not feel like spending a fortune just for a so called booster which I do not even know if it would protect her at all anyway.

Also in the letter it said that if "your bird is not up to date with boosters it will not be allowed into our boarding facilities"

I do not know, I did not like the tone of the letter; it looked like it is all about money as far as I am concerned; I spent £ 200 last year on a blood test and check up which I did find outrageously expensive; cost almost as much as the bird; the vet in question is a well known one.

Do any of you take your bird year after year for boosters. Bearing in mind my parrot does not get into contact with other parrots at all.

I think they mean that you need to renew the psittacosis test yearly. I think that using the term 'booster' is the wrong word to use. Why dont they just say that the psittacosis test should be done annually and is due for renewal. :?

I had this test done for my parrot and it cost £42 and i already knew the answer (he was fine) but like they say if you need to use their parrot boarding services then you will need this test to be done annually.

Like you say, if your parrot isnt in contact with other parrots and your not going to need parrot boarding services then me personally wouldnt bother. Its really your choice whether you have it done again or not.

I think they mean that you need to renew the psittacosis test yearly. I think that using the term 'booster' is the wrong word to use. Why dont they just say that the psittacosis test should be done annually and is due for renewal. :?

I had this test done for my parrot and it cost £42 and i already knew the answer (he was fine) but like they say if you need to use their parrot boarding services then you will need this test to be done annually.

Like you say, if your parrot isnt in contact with other parrots and your not going to need parrot boarding services then me personally wouldnt bother. Its really your choice whether you have it done again or not.

There are two psittacosis tests - antibody and antigen.

The anti body is relatively cheap but the antigen is expensive and they send them to Avian Biotech in the USA to be done.

Antibody will detect an active infection but it needs antigen to detect a dormant infection in the blood.

Merlin tested negative on antibody but positive on antigen, and that was only done by chance because we told the vet to do the whole lot whilst he was at it and taking blood samples anyway. Although there was clearly something wrong with him Merlin had no obvious signs of Psittacosis.

Having said all that, if you want to use their boarding facilities you obviously have to abide by their rules, but there are other places for boarding...have you tried the thread on here?

A booster is given to re-inforce a previous vaccination.

Has your parrot been vaccinated against anything??

(If yes it obviously wasn't made clear at the time!!! However I think the answer isn't likely to be yes.)

I think this may be a case of a pre-formed letter beng rolled out from the surgery computer, without any thought as to who it is going too.

It does sound like one specifically written for dog or cat owners.

If so it's not good PR for the surgery.

I'd suggest ringing and asking them to explain what they mean.

P and S - thanks for clarifying that about the psittacosis test. Didnt know there was 2 types :shock: . I just had the test done incase i wanted to use the parrot boarding service.

But wouldn't any medical test need to be done immediately prior to going to a boarding facility? If its done any length of time before its worthless.

Sorry my mistake. I have found the letter and it says Psittacosis test, not booster. Still I will call the vet and ask how much this test will cost. Also in the title I meant to say "yearly" not early, sorry for the confusion.

My parrot did go to a boarding facility for two weeks in Sep and she was sharing a room with another parrot (in another cage) Other then that she does not come into contact with other birds at all.

Thanks for your answers