Sign in to follow this  
misty

handrearing foods - what do you use?

Just being nosey really :lol: but was wandering what handrearing foods do you guys use, the pros and cons of the product you use, have you ever had problems with the foods, have you found your babies grow quicker?

We use Kaytee although there is a big problem atm getting hold of it....Ive had no problems at all using it & Im very happy with the babies size & health.....Ive tried most of the others and always come back to this......We buy ours in 25lb buckets & keep it in the freezer.....quite big saving doing this we pay around £50 per bucket :wink: .

Hi gary, how do you freeze yours do you leave it in its original packaging and just scoop out what you need at each feed? do you mix it straight away when you take it out of freezer? sorry all the questions , But I dont handrear often and often throw half a bag away when I finished handrearing so this freezing may save abit. thanks

kerrie

P.s : have you ever bred fiery shouldered conures as mine have just laid 7 eggs!

Hi gary, how do you freeze yours do you leave it in its original packaging and just scoop out what you need at each feed? do you mix it straight away when you take it out of freezer? sorry all the questions , But I dont handrear often and often throw half a bag away when I finished handrearing so this freezing may save abit. thanks

The buckets we use have locking lids...if I was using bags I would put them into platic tubs with lids and take out what you need for 2 or 3 days at a time....you shouldnt get any waste that way.

P.s : have you ever bred fiery shouldered conures as mine have just laid 7 eggs!

No never kept them ... very nice birds as are all the Pyrrhuras :wink: ..they are prone to laying large clutches...good luck with them

thanks, I will keep you posted on the fiery shouldered nestbox!! thanks gary for the info on the handrearing food, may look at freezing mine, how long is it safe to use a bag that has been opened, I store mine in a sealed plastic tupoware .