Sign in to follow this  
adele1312

OPINIONS WANTED PLEASE (changing a bird's name)

hi i wondered what people's opinions are on changing a birds name?

ive had blue the b&g macaw for a few weeks now,and i really want to name him myself.

i did ask the previous owners their thoughts about this and they said it was up to me,but he was responing to his name abit!

he,s only 15months old and i havnt heard him say his name yet!

my cag when he came was called "budgie" and i soon changed that to scooby,which didnt seen to bother him!

i suppose im just been a bit to sensitive to his feelings,

but some may say "he's only a parrot" but to me it feels like im wanting changing my kids name.

has any of you other fine bird lovers experianced this?

Hi,

I can understand you wanting to change his name if you don't like it (although personally I quite like Blue :) )

I know people on here have changed their parrots names before, sometimes to something that sounds similar if they are already starting to recognise it. Can't think of much that rhymes with Blue though :-k what were you thinking of for a new name?

Often a rescue who comes in to me has no name that I've been told so I give him/her a new one.

In my mind it never hurts for a bird who barely knows their name to be given a new one .... I really think it can help a bird (or a dog etc) see that the past is gone and a new life is beginning - a fresh start if you like

arh thanks, and nope i havnt come up with anything that rhymes with blue either.....

have thought of loads of names but i really wanted something different for him, me and my family have been sat thinking of names since we had him...

we 1st thought of nemo, but sounded to much like a fish....

then dodger as in oliver as he can pinch your earings ect without you even knowing that..........

but last night i thought of "armani"

as in the designer,and it seems to suit him, as hes georgous and very special and clearly one of a kind!!!!!!!!

so armani i think............

I Have to agree with MMM. Many of the birds I rescue arrive with either a very odd name or none at all.

I believe new name for a new life.

I usually pick several and try them out. Its starange, but usually one will provoke some kind of reaction ....thats it! name chosen by the bird and it has never caused a problem. Within 48 hours they are responsive to the new name. I think it just needs love in the voice.

When I rehomed my GSD I was advised to change the name to give him a new start, with no bad attatchments to the old name.

thats great its official he now called armani........

thanks 4 the advice

and i know what you mean krisjvv, when i called him armani for the 1st time,he flapped out his wings,as in to agree with me......

i've changed some of my bird's names. i like it that a new name = a new life. pickles name is staying we all like it and mogwai has started to say it so no i don't have a choice lol. my sennie's got changed from marley to apple because of the new name = new life and we never liked marley and marley is more a boys name but she's a girly.

I would have liked to change Archie's name to something Spanish when I adopted him - I wanted Che (as he's South American and a terror) but as he was already 7 yo, and said "hello Archie", "How are you Archie" and "Archie, Archie, Archie", I decided it wasn't going to work. Funnily enough when he bites me, I'm sure my response sounds like "Ahhhh Che!".

Archie used to live with a parrot called Max before, and 2 years on he refuses to call Bruce "Bruce", instead we have daily arguments whereby Archie corrects me when I say "Bruce" and reminds me that he should be called "Max". Our conversation goes "Bruce" "Max" "Bruce" "Max" "Bruce" "Max" "Bruce" "Max" for some minutes before he usually wins in a crescendo of "Max, Max, Mad Max, sccrreeecch".