Sign in to follow this  
gary

Sell by dates

Where I buy some some of my seed from have sell by dates on them....to day I bought a Parrot Mix with fruit dated Jan 09....when I asked about this the manager said all there seed is good for 18 months :shock:

How long is seed good for ...... before it starts to go off ? ....taken into account its stored correctly.

The other stockist I use never have any sell by dates on any of there seed or food.....I was under the impression that the law changed and all food either for human or animal consumption had to be dated unless sold loose!

Because Parrots,unlike Poultry, do not enter the human food chain, the regulations concerning parrot food are far less strict than those for poultry food.

The shelf-life of any parrot food depends on the age/condition when you bought it and the way you store it. If we are talking about seeds then if stored cool and dry, and "fresh" when bought I suppose 6 months would be the maximum.

However I would not recommend storing a seed mix for more than 3 or 4 months. Dried fruits should be OK for 6 months if stored in the dark and cool.

It is not a problem I have ever encountered as my problem is getting it in fast enough NOT storing it.

Many seed mixes, however well-cleaned, can contain seed mites which may only be present in tiny numbers at the time of purchase but which can multiply rapidly during storage. For this reason you should thoroughly clean storage bins between deliveries.

I once had the unfortunate experience of having a seed order infested with seed mites from a very very well known supplier (NOT DD) .....I bought quite a big order to beat the price increase.....not a good idea I had mites in it within 4 months :( although I have to take some of the blame because it could have been stored better :roll: but they must have been there to start with.

I now buy in 2-3 weeks at a time.

Guest Jane Doe

I had a sack of whitte molen once that was infested with grain weevils, for some reason I'd used other seed before that one but thought it would be alright as it had a good best before date, not the sort of thing you can buy in bulk and leave around for a few months. Stuff like pretty bird jungle munchies is okay because it's been treated, nitrogen flushed so I guess it kills any eggs, that's too seed and pellet orientated though, it's okay as a little mixer or treat but I think a more grain than seed based diet is healthier.

Guest Jane Doe

The Junglegold® Premium Parrot “Ideal” looks about the closest to whitte molen, no dreaded monkey nuts included.