Sign in to follow this  
Flower

Bonker!

Our BH Caique does something strange... he sits on my/other halfs hand and starts to rub himself... I can only describe it has looking like bonking our hands...? Has anyone else experienced this? Is it bonking?

It would depend which "bit" of him he is rubbing on your hand!!! If he is getting into "position" with his rear end and stamping you with his feet, I would say he is getting ready to bonk your hand.

But if he is just rubbing his head on your hand maybe he is after a scratch.

I personally think if he is a youngish male he is getting ready to bonk you, as he thinks he can dominant you or you’re his mate. I would not encourage it.

We have had a couple of tiels do this in the past; one "Eric" was not fussy who he did it too, and you only had to be still for a second and he would see an opportunity. Once a friend came over and I left him for a min when I came back he said "look at this little bird isn't he friendly" - there is Eric bonking his hand. Oh how we laughed.

Eric now has a female tiel as a partner, she is very bossy and he would not dare to bonk her, unless she allowed him – the hand thing is well and truly in the past.

p.s I like the term "surfing"

Cheeky, our little pearly conure, was a prolific "bonker", on the perch, on our hands, forever bonking.

The not so funny, but none the less informative ending to this bonking tale, is that Cheeky died, very young, of heart failure due to an unbreakable cycle of perpetual egg laying.

Which illustrates, that not all bonking parrots can be assumed to be males.

I have seen one of my female tiels (Jo-Jo) bonk her husband. She did this a few times and he took the role of the female i.e. crouched down, wings apart.

I guess she was just not happy with his technique and was showing him how it should be done!

my tag does this every time hes out with me,(i say he but i dont know the sex)

and the worst thing is he wont get off my arm untill hes finished!!!!!!!

any tips to stop this would be welcome?

as well as rubbing up against my arm he also digs his claws into me,and slobbers on me too.....

he only does this with me....

erm at least someone finds me attractive lol?

:oops: :shock: :? Um! Er! I'm going to have to ask - what do you mean by 'finished'?

=;

Ok?... we dont know if our Caique is a he or she... and was going to ask whether this behavious was a clue to his/her sex... guess not?... Certainly seems to prefer my other halfs hand... and does "get in to it" with shoulder movement, digging in claws, nipping and a bit of flapping!

:oops: :shock: :? Um! Er! I'm going to have to ask - what do you mean by 'finished'?

=;

erm without sounding rude he does a big sigh,and then takes a breath!!!!!!

=;

erm without sounding rude he does a big sigh,and then takes a breath!!!!!!

:wink: Ah! Bless him! :D/