Sign in to follow this  
Harry's Mummy

What are the advantages of feeding 'tinned' dog food

Okay, trying to work out the advantages of feeding a dog tinned dog food, I can only think of one and that is the taste for dogs......

I have plently of disadvantages and comparing between 'dry' too.....

Showgirl :?: :idea:

Hi, I don't think there is an advantage.. if you look at what in it it's all rubbish, much better to feed something woth proper meat in it, wether ou go natural or processed food.

I don't think dogs taste the same as us anyway, it's all about smell to them.

Student1

I totally agree that tinned is rubbish, all mine are fed on Burns, but I am wondering if I have missed something obvious for the module project.......as only have the one advantage and that dogs like the taste/texture of tinned.....

convenience i would have said plus never having owned a dog and knowing nothing about them i have been brain washed by all the adverts into thinking you had to feed tinned food with some biccies or whatever, good job i dont own one isnt it

Guest Gwydhyel

Not all tinned foods are rubbish. If you have a dog with a digestive problem, or liver, kidney disorder, or other chronic illness, they may find tinned food easier to digest. I don't mean the so-called "special" diets, such as those produced by Hills (for example) which are simply a money-making exercise for the company and the vet (in my humble experience).

My lurcher, Finn, suffers from pancreatitis (among other things) and so must have a very low fat diet. However, he also finds kibble really difficult to digest so it causes him pain and vomiting. So mostly he has Denes which is a natural tinned food, which is free from artificial additives, colourings and preservatives. Over the last five years I have tried all of the better quality dried foods, such as Burns and James Wellbeloved, and he can tolerate them in small quantities occasionally. In his case, tinned food is an absolute necessity.

I can fully understand that Anne, and I should have explained myself better, I have been asked to compare a Dry Puppy Food and a Tinned Puppy food and asked which is the better value of the 2......and reading more into the question it has to be the one that has all the required nutrients for a growing puppy......so the value has to be on the health of the the puppy when they are growing and as they get older.......question had a bit of a twist, and he made me think.....not used to that lol xx

Many moons ago when I did my canine nutrition qualifications, I was sponsored by Hills .... all I really learnt is that Hills is over priced and far too rich in protein which in itself can cause behavioural problems.

Switching to a bulkier, lower protein level complete often vastly reduced the dogs' issues and improved behaviours (such as attention span, ability to be left alone etc)

Guest Gwydhyel

I can fully understand that Anne, and I should have explained myself better, I have been asked to compare a Dry Puppy Food and a Tinned Puppy food and asked which is the better value of the 2......and reading more into the question it has to be the one that has all the required nutrients for a growing puppy......so the value has to be on the health of the the puppy when they are growing and as they get older.......question had a bit of a twist, and he made me think.....not used to that lol xx

Sorry, I was really answering the statements from people saying that all tinned foods are rubbish, rather than your original question!

What about the overall health issues of feeding a balanced diet, but where kibble may cause health problems if the puppy doesn't drink enough, compared to tinned food that has a lot of water? Leading to kidney problems later. There is a lot of evidence of this with cats that eat a wholly dry food diet. I know that complete dry foods are very popular, but I suppose it is a similar question to whether to feed a pellet food to parrots. It may have all of the required nutrition, but it is a bit boring.

Also, to add to the confusion, there are many moist foods now that are natural, hypoallergenic, organic, free-from all the bad things, but are sold in single-serving trays or heat sealed packs. I suppose they would be classed as tinned foods, but they are equally viable for nutrition as complete dried foods, and I find my dogs prefer them. So does the pleasure of eating count as a value?

Sorry, I'm not helping, am I! :lol: I shall shut up now. :oops:

we have no choice,3 of ours are on complete,and cleo is on tinned,she has hardly any teeth and wont eat complete that has been softened..........

The build up of tartar on the teeth of dogs fed a soft (tinned) diet is far far worse than on those who eat crunchy (complete) foods.

Plus a complete is exactly that - balanced and complete wheras tinned foods are generally what are called complimentary (meaning not a complete balanced diet in itself) and so other foods such as dog biscuits need to be included or the diet is imbalanced

its not the soft food that gave her bad teeth...shes been on complete for 15 years but can no longer chew as lastt year needed alot of teeth removed due to a huge abcess and infection.................perhaps when we get to 111 we may have no teeth either :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is interesting for me...our GSD (pic in my avatar) drives me mad re feeding....she gets a dried complete (beta) shes brilliant on :D it THEN she wont touch it at all :shock: .....then we soak it first she wollops it for a few weeks :D ...then the stops :shock: Then we add chum tinned and she eats well again for a few weeks :D then stops again :( I wonder if she just get bored with it......mentioned it to our vet and he suggested Science....no chance of me feeding that.....we had a bad time with that with our Rottie.

Gary all our dogs are fed on Burns as its totally natural, all our dogs have sensitive tums and was hypo on other brands, and so far Burns has been the best by far......along with James Wellbeloved [however found out that James Beloved are owned by a company that tests on animals - cant remember who off the top of my head]

Guest Gwydhyel

James Wellbeloved are owned by Royal Canin, trading as Crown Pet Foods Ltd. They are supposed to be an ethical company. If they are guilty of animal testing, it goes against all of their claims. I will heck further and find out.

IAMS are definitely one of the bad companies, but I had not heard about JB.

mmm it was interesting what you said about high protein food and "problems" as we feed ours on a high protein puppy food and Alfie is a complete plank and has the concentration span of a choc fireguard he is a big breed dog(Presa canario) and we were told that the high protein will help but i'm going to look in to it further as its an interesting comment that you made thanks

any links are welcome lol

Be very careful about reducing the protein levels for a puppy - you'd be amazed at how much they need to grow for at least a year for the small breeds and for two years for the larger breeds.

Why not look at feeding something containing no artificial colouring, flavouring etc as an alternative and see if that helps?

As long as you feed a puppy a 'Complete' puppy food then the protein levels are balanced correctly, and the puppy food does have the extra protein and other nutrients needed ..... thats another reason why I think the dry food is a better option as it has everything needed xx

Roz is quite right you do need to be very careful your pup gets the right amounts to put them in good health for the rest of their lives xx