Sign in to follow this  
Flower

I can't whistle...

We re-homed a BH Caique at the weekend... and I have read that their talking ability is not that great, but understand that they do mimic sounds and whistles... I would love to teach him some tunes, but I can't whistle... would you recommend buying something like a penny-whistle... or I could dig out and dust off the old school recorder... ha ha! That will take me back some 25 years! (but I've still got it... question is can I still play it?! LOL)

Good idea / bad idea?... what do you think?

We have several Caiques, BH and YT, and none of them produce any recognisable "words". However I have one that does a sort of husky whisper which seems like a name. The joy of Caiques is not the mimicry but the zest for life.

Guest choccyb

My yh caique says hello but it is not clear and most people just look daft at me when I say that is his hello. He used a pip squeak voice its very sweet. He doesnt whistle any tunes or do the phone but the female bh caique i have does the phone and it is identical to mine so has me running into the kitchen every time she does it lol.

xxxx

Our new buddy certainly has zest for life and attitude... he has only be here a couple of days and is already stealing the dogs chews rawhide chews (I hope these are ok)... he literally just walks over and claims them.

Guest Gwydhyel

As others have said - if you deliberately teach a whistle or whatever, be prepared for it to be repeated ad infinitum!

My Jardine's has taught my little Meyers to do a burglar alarm setting (beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep). But whereas Summer does it only when you leave in the morning, Lola does it over and over and over again, beacuse she doesn't understand the context.

Only teach your parrot something you are prepared to listen to for ever and ever, and that you REALLY like the sound of :lol:

Because they never get bored with annoying noises :twisted:

Only teach your parrot something you are prepared to listen to for ever and ever, and that you REALLY like the sound of :lol:

Best practice your recorder well out of earshot then - say about a mile away to be sure. :lol:

I have a sennie Ozzy and we brought the dogs some new squeak toys the other week. they squeak them so much they have broke except for one.

the only thing is Ozzy can now do the squeak and the poor dogs are looking around to see whos got the toy. and Ozzy does it over and over and gets louder has he does it.

He dont copy anything else like the phone or the microwave but he does whisle, like u i cant whisle so friends come round and whisle to him. so when that person comes in he will whisle to them what they have taught him.