Sign in to follow this  
misty

HELP / ADVISE PLEASE ASAP (bad eye) = SORTED :)

Hi all, Im alittle worried I have a female princess of wales parrakeet in an outside aviary with her mate, just lately as the weather has become colder she has seemed more sleepy during the day, but as soon as I go in there with food, fruit ect she is alert and eating well, her poop seems normal and her mate is in full voice and very content / healthy looking, after fireworks night ( the neighbours had a party and several firworks hit the aviary, yes I did go mad at them!!) she seemed to have a watery eye, this cleared up within a days, so I put it down to the stress and the cold weather, ow she seems to have a slightly puffy eye and have obviously rubbed it as the fine feather around her eye have been rubbed off, and the skin and feathers around the eye do seem to have a very slight yellowish dried discharge on them, her nose, breathing, poop and is all fine, but she is still sleeping alot. I am contacting an avian vet tomorrow but Im unable to get over to him until later in the week, I will hopefully see my local vet tomorrow too, but he is not very up on bird knowledge, can anyone advise me as I have spent all evening searching on the net and now Im panicking abit that she may have a disease, I have only had the pair a few months and they seemed healthy when I got them, can anyone advise me please :cry:

as you say fireworks hit your aviary,maybe a stray ember hit her in her eye,and it has now become ulcerated and has caused an infection?

maybe it has nothing to do with a firework,just a foreign object that scrathed the eye to cause an ulcer which has got infected? that would cause it to run too

Letting the avian vet see this bird is priority,it may be something as simple as a foriegn body in the eye causing irritation and it may also be something more sinister,2 of the symptoms of psittacosis are discharge from the eyes and lethargy........good luck keep us informed

If you have any concerns regarding her health it is generally advised to bring her indoors, or into an aviary shelter, where the temperature is higher. If she is bonded to her mate then bring him in as well. Although it is relatively mild, birds who are unwell need extra heat. Obviously if she spends any amount of time indoors then she may have to stay in for the whole winter, but birds who are slightly unwell will go downhill fast in outside aviaries.

I agree with David, I would bring her indoors until you can get her to an avian vet. She really needs the warmth right now. NOthing more we can say other than she need a vet :( Good luck and let us know how she gets on.

Guest linds

As everyone has said, bring her in doors and her mate too.

Can I ask is there a specific reason you can't see the avian vet until later in the week? seeing her vet really is a matter of urgency with birds.

If she's had this for almost 4 weeks now i'd get her seen to asap.

Hi, I have damaged my back at the moment and cannot travel, but I have managed to sort out a vets appointment today and transport to get her there will let you know, what happens, yes they are both in the warm indoors

Guest linds

excellent, hope the little mite is ok. It could be nothing much at all but you know how they make us worry :roll:

shame i'm not near you, i work with bad backs :roll:, could get you both fixed lol

Hi thanks for all your replys, well she is looking better today the vet recommended an eye stuff for her as she seems to have had something in her eye which has scratched it and made it agravated, possible something from those fireworks!! anyway, he is convinced thats all it is and she should be fine, so what a relief .

Guest linds

excellent news, poor little lamb you know what it's like when we have an eye infection it's sore and really annoying.