Sign in to follow this  
Flower

I was warned... but blimey... he does shreek

Can't say I wasn't warned... but he didn't sound off when we went to visit... Is there anything to train a BH Caique not to shreek quite so much? Any tips on how to make him not quite so persistant would be great... Think his brilliant, and he seems to be settling in well with my other pets... but I have a feeling the neighbours might complain as we live in a semi.

All advice, tips very much appreciated.

He may well be calling to his flock (his ex-owners) as he does not understand what has suddenly happened to everything he knew.

This may give a hint or two? ....

Sounds as though he has found a way to gain your attention (am assuming he's doing this while you are in the same room) ... and I really do appreciate how stressful it must be for you.

As always there's more than one way to deal with this, all equally valid ... the covering the cage with a blanket when he yells method does work but I personally would deal with it by getting up and leaving the room without looking at the bird or saying anything.

Lurk outside the room he's in and the very instant there's a break in the noise .... return and praise him like mad - maybe give a small treat if that's what he likes most.

Now, I know this isn't easy and, at first, the gap in the noise may be minuscule ... but ... eventually the silence will be for longer until eventually he will cotton on that

quiet = attention

yelling = left alone.

If he is doing this the moment you leave the room but is quiet when you are with him, it needs a different approach. He is calling his flock just as they would in the wild, trying to reunite the flock (you) together again.

The way around this is to replace it with a more pleasant noise ... a word or whistle perhaps.

Start by using this noise/word when you are with him to get him to accept it is coming from you.

The next step is to pause at the door as you leave and make the noise, listen outside the door and wait for a gap in the yelling to make your noise. He will learn that the call of this flock is the noise/word you have chosen and grow to be placated by you making it when in another room. Think of it as this conversation ...

"You aren't in sight, are you safe, get back here" (parrot) = yelling

"Soft whistle or word" (from you) = I'm around, I'm safe, all is well".

Bird thinks soft noise/word is how this flock call each other and one wonderful day he will repeat that instead of the yelling.

This thread is worth a read too ...

"TRYING TO ALTER A BIRD'S BEHAVIOUR? a note of hope":

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/7094-trying-to-alter-a-birds-behaviour-a-note-of-hope%c2%a9/

and may explain why he was screeching louder when covered?

Thanks MadMudMob... I have to say he shrieks both when we are both in or out of the room... but will definately give some of the techniques a go... he is quite well trained already.. steps up, returns to his cage to poop etc... Yes we realise its early days... but would like to work on trying to curb the problem as soon as we can.

OH yes, those caiques can be quite loud at times! Pepsi is a little monkey and has some right noises on her. I find most of the time it's an attention thing, so as much attention as you can always give your baby the better. If they call when you are out the room, call back, say Hi, or it's ok im here, that type of thing. Just so they know you are still around. I got into the habit of saying, good morning, good night, see ya in a bit, or off to work and now most of the birds understand that if I say Im off to work, I will be gone for a while and get on with playing with their toys!

Is it a sort of 'OOOOOWAHHHHH¬OOOOOOWAHHHHHH OOOOOOOWAAAAHHH' kind of noise? Bit like a trapped seagull? Best way i can think of too describe it - if it is its him calling to his flock - basically he wants to know where you are. When mine do it - and two of them rattle your eardrums :shock: - I whistle back 'our tune' they then do that instead, after the thousandth time its annoying but its better than the oooooowaaahhhhh noise. :wink:

Guest choccyb

he he he, it does sound like seagulls. Rocky doesnt do it so much but Merry sounds just like one lol. xxx