Sign in to follow this  
student1

How much 121 time......?

Hi all, how much time do you spend one on one with your birds? I'm tryng to get my male eclectus to entertain himself, but he tends to freak at any new toy and he's really not interested :( He's out in the morning, If I'm going to work this is prob only 20 mins, but I only work 2-3 days a week. and he's out all evening, I don't have him on me all the time becasue he's started regurgitating food and actually trying to mate with me :shock: so each time he does either of these behavioours he goes back to his cage, I spend most of the eve up and down like a jack in the box :lol:

Is this enough for him? I hope to start clicker training with him, although my vet thinks I'm barking :) he quite like shelled pine nuts so I'm hoping he'll work for those.

Does anyone have any ideas to enrich him further?

(I think he plucked his feathers at his previous home, and I think he's stopping that now he's here! :) )

you do whatever fits in around your life.........the key to out time is consistency..................we found that offer out time that you can stick too,otherwise the bird will soon think when is doesnt come out as usual that he has done wrong.........be consistant and you will find that after a while they get to know when out time is and look forward to it..........alot of birds never come out of there cage so the time you can give and are giving is fine.We have set times for set birds and stick to it rigerously and it has never been missed in 11 years

I have a routine with Pharrell my Ekkie.

Hes out for 1 hour in the morning before i go to work and then he is out when i get home from work in the evenings. Mind you in the evenings he gets put back in his cage now and again when hes naughty but he gets time out of say 15 mins and then is back out again.

He likes to be included in whatever im doing. If im hoovering he has to sit and watch and chat, if im having a shower he has to be there, if im preparing his food etc he's there. He tends to play up when im just sitting there watching telly. Its like i have to be on the go the whole time :roll:

Its like having a small child :D:D He follows me everywhere and if he cant see me he calls out to me 'Are you alright' lol lol