Sign in to follow this  
jebirds

Give your bird/s a safe Christmas

I know it may seem hard to give up the things that make your home smell better.........but please remember if it is bad for birds it is very likely to be doing your children harm as well.

The rule is, if you can smell it then it is likely to be bad for your bird,

A friend went to pick up two parakeets, he put the cage with the birds in his car and started home, on the way he thought he could smell bleach but had no choice but to keep on driving, on getting home with the birds both were on the floor of the cage and both died within a few hours.

The owner had washed the cage with bleach and although she had rinsed it off there was still enough to kill these poor birds.

Bleach is a killer........FULL STOP.

omg !! I love bleach too , so even on the floors is bad ?

What do you all use instead ?...

Maybe this could be a good thing , I can tell the other OH cleaning is forbiden as it may kill the bird :lol:

Emsie...why do you bleach your floor every day? Is there someone really ill in your home? Unless there's an infectious disease in your home, simple cleaning measures like hot water and soap are enough for the domestic home. Exposure to harsh chemicals used in the home is doing more harm than good, people (and animals) are becoming sick from the chemical cocktail we swim in every day. In fact some of the increase in allegies, blood diseases like leucaemia and tumors may be related to all the chemicals we live with. By keeping some bugs in the home we build up resistance and are actually healthier. Good simple domestic clean, keeping dirt down makes disinfecting unnesisary. I'm a retired nursing sister and have worked in hospitals, nursing homes and peoples own homes, so this stuff is my "thing". I'm not nagging (i hope!) but am concerned for you and your birds.

A few useful threads which in turn contain links to more useful threads on safe cleaning. :lol:

Air fresheners

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/23539-air-fresheners/

Using Vinegar as a Disinfectant

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/23067-using-vinegar-as-a-disinfectant/

mopping?

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/16297-mopping/

I bleach the floors and worktops every day normally , the floors because the dogs are forever running in and out and at the moment with the weather there is always muddy paw prints everywhere , the work tops as it is just habbit to soak my cloths in bleach .. I mean I can always change my ways now I know it can be harmfull ... but its learning what to change them too ...

I do like to have a nice smelling clean house , but I also love my animals so a change is always as good as the rest ;)

Ill go look at the links now to see if I can pick anything up , in the mean time any tips will be greatfully recieved :)

And Hotfoot , no I dont feel you are nagging .. Im truely greatfull for any advice offered .

Thanks for them links als mum ,

Im definately going to try the cinnamon and lemon in a pan a go for the air freshener sounds lovely , and Im all for being green .

Trigene is also brilliant stuff , so that will replace my bleach .

After reading thru the threads on here it doesnt seem half as hard as I first thought it was going to be :)

I have Smelly Toilet Block and a gel air freshner in the bathroom the door is always

closed and so is the hall door leading to the bathroom so there isn't any smell travelling!

if you have to use bleach in your kitchen Flash bleach make sure your Door is securely closed and put a Draught excluder down to prevent the smell going into the birds room, if you have a fan in your kitchen put it on so it drys quickley!

I don't wash my kitchen floor as much as that once a week

with a spot of domesto's bleach in the water and washing liquid!

it's quite amazing how long a bottle of bleach lasts this way :)

Air freshner products are a no no in the birds room,

irons are lethal to so don't iron infront of the tv around your birds

I learn't my mistake last week, poor Teallie was coughing :(

Im on the verge of purchasing a Xmas tree im very lazy and want a Fibre optic one,

these don't emmit anything do they?

im worried also incase the thing scared my birds all those lights lol...

should they be ok? :)

I guess the tinsel around the mirror will keep sandy of it but im sure he's gunnabe very

hissy about this thing in his house :D

Guest stevejones

Just having a read through i to use dettol the original one really watered down and i have no carpets down stairs but i use a steam mop there amazing and you cant use chemicals in it it is just water!!!