Sign in to follow this  
jebirds

Give your bird/s a safe Christmas

Christmas is fast upon us and many of you will be already thinking of presents, eating dead birds and maybe drinking too much plonk.

Some will even be thinking about what to get their lovely birdies for Xmas.

So I thought this was a good time to remind you of what NOT to get them.

Christmas decorations and birds don’t mix.

Alcohol

Scented candles

Carpet cleaners

Household cleansers – Detergents, soaps.

DDT -Felt tip markers Pens – pencils

Nail Polish - Nail Polish remover

Toilet bowl cleaners

Overheated non-stick cookware

Overheated cooking oil.

Air fresheners (especially plug-ins)

Aerosol sprays, many types can kill a parrot including hairspray, paint, shoe dyes, water repellents, household cleaners, insect sprays repellents, flea spray, fake snow etc

Cigarette smoke - BAD!!

Doors. Birds like to sit on the tops of open doors. They can be killed if someone closes the door

Pine scented items like Christmas trees and decorations.

Perfume and aftershave can be deadly as most are alcohol based and a lot use gases to make spraying easier.

Also think about your bird and guests that might be intoxicated and think that playing with your bird/s or giving them silly things like a drink (alcohol) or even cigarette is funny.

Be sure you are not too drunk to know it is wrong.

Never let anyone that is drinking handle your bird/s.

A bite from a frightened bird could lead to the bird being thrown on the floor or against the wall.

Ok. I can hear you saying “Does she think we are idiots we know all this” but when a family party is in full swing and drink is flowing it is easy to forget.

Christmas may be great for you but Not for your bird/s, all the noise and going on’s can be too much for some birds,

When someone starts spraying their new aftershave on, will you have the heart to stop them, when your favourite friend turns up plastered in perfume could you tell them to wash it off.

You will find many lists on the Internet of things that could hurt your bird be sure you know them now before Christmas gets here.

Have a safe Christmas :lol:

I thought I had better add this so that you might understand why I am so against anyone coming near my birds with Aftershave or Purfume on. :lol:

Some disease-related causes of feather plucking include:

Endocrine diseases such as low thyroid levels, progesterone or testosterone imbalances

Infectious diseases such as pox virus or psittacosis

Poor nutrition

Food allergies, especially to seeds

Liver disease

Pruritis: "Itchy Bird," caused by:

Internal parasites such as roundworms and tapeworms

Giardia infections (can trigger severe skin irritation)

Bacterial, viral, or fungal infections of the skin and feathers

Yeast infections

Staphylococcus aureus infections

Intestinal, respiratory, or crop infection can cause whole-body pruritis because of a hypersensitivity reaction

Internal tumors or Kidney disease: Bird may pluck over the skin above the tumor or kidney

Inhaled allergens (smoke, cockatoo dander, perfumes, house deodorants, pollen, dust mold)

Contact allergens (laundry detergents, deodorants, perfume, hair products, litter or nest box material)

Ingested allergens (especially certain proteins, carbohydrates, chemical additives such as preservatives, colors, or flavors)

ok now this is going to sound really dim but when I get my bird what CAN I use to clean my house??

I have a plug-in in the hallway.I use a lot of furniture polish.I also use a lot of things like toilet cleaner and surface sprays in kitchen and bathroom-although not aerosols.

I would think so,i use detol original spray on my kitchen worktops as i believe it makes it safe for them when they are playing and eating.No doubt someone will be along with more knowledge than me.Good luck with your conure nia

I have a plug-in in the hallway.I use a lot of furniture polish.I also use a lot of things like toilet cleaner and surface sprays in kitchen and bathroom-although not aerosols.

All the above can kill or make your bird sick even if used in another room, :cry:

ok now this is going to sound really dim but when I get my bird what CAN I use to clean my house??

Have a read of these perhaps -

cleaning products

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/15662-cleaning-products/

COMMON POISONS AND TOXINS:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6064-common-poisons-and-toxins/

When we still had parrots indoors I used a damp cloth and a bucket of water to dust and around the house for other jobs hot water with a dot of washing up liquid and a fair bit of elbow grease.

:lol:

Hi djceri,

i know a lot of people that has kept parrots for years and been using the usual household cleaning stuff etc and their parrot is as healthy as ever.

I know of many parrots that have been fed a sunflower seed diet for years and "look" healthy, of cause we all know that they are not and will one day become ill or die because of their diet.

We all now have a better understanding of what is or is not good for our beloved birds and thanks to the internet this information is available to any and all that want it.

I can only put forward the information, the onus is with the bird owner as to whether they at least spend a little time in finding out more about the things that can hurt or kill their birds or whether they think (as you put it :lol: ) I am being a bit OTT.

Please have a look on the web read about the birds who have lost their lives to household items, such as this poor bird a few weeks ago.

From an earlier post

Hi All,

Yet another preventable pet parrot loss.

A young Lady had put out her beautiful, fragrant holiday candles on display to enjoy for the first time last night and hours later her son's baby cockatiel died. Then this morning her 7 month old caique passed away at the vet.

The candles were Glade brand, and another mass produced, 3 wicked one with wire in the wicks. The wire is made of lead. On examination, the vet said they died as a direct result of the candle fumes. Everything about them was healthy and normal, but the errosive damage the pleasant candle fumes do to the birds lung tissue caused them to literally drown in their own fluids. It's a horrible, completely preventable way to die and you all need to be advocates for our helpless birdies.

We need to protect them so please spread this around to all parrot people you know, OK?

Just another reminder this and anytime of year to put all non-stick cookware, fabric protectors, new carpet, air fresheners, plug ins, potpourri, cooking bags, spray disinfectants, self cleaning ovens, coffee makers, curling irons....on the list of hazards for our parrots along with these fragrant, and lead wicked, and non fragrant candles. Who knows where they were made and what exactly is in them!

Have a happy Christmas...........But please keep your birds safe.

Can i ask what is the problem with new carpet?

''Just another reminder this and anytime of year to put all non-stick cookware, fabric protectors, new carpet, air fresheners, ''

Hi,

All new carpets have a 'scotch guard' fire retardant added at the factory, this is highly dangerous to birds ( and very likely to children).

There are other chemicals also to protect the carpet from wear, dirt, losing its colour etc,

A new carpet needs opening up in an outside garage in plenty of fresh air for a couple of weeks before bringing into a home with birds.

Allowing a bird onto a carpet less than a year old could led to illness or death, allowing it to pick at a carpet less than two years old could do the same.

You might not think of a carpet as being the cause of your birds have difficulty in breathing, or starting to pluck or runny droppings or in some cases being found dead one morning, but sadly all the above and more have happened when the only thing different in the home is a carpet less than two years old.

June, you are an angel to bring this up again and as some of us know you can never be OTT with these guys. You don't want to be left with if only thoughts once they've gone. I thought I was doing the right thing using 'natural' cleaners downstairs but I too had the hallway plug-in and didn't think twice about using aerosols or bleach elsewhere in the house.

Leading on from this, can I please ask you all what your views are on birds being kept in open-plan kitchen come sitting rooms please? I've read loads of posts where people are dead against this and yet lots of birdies are pictured in kitchens. You see, this is where my boy was kept. It was the hub of the house and where he was guaranteed the fullest of attention, access to the best windows etc. All pans etc are stainless steel, not that they ever get much use and on the rare occasion they do the extractor thingy is on & windows open. Zanussi confirmed there were no non-stick linings on the cooker.

I will look to rehome in the future so would appreciate all/any thoughts.

Thanks

Kitchens are a no no if you look whats in there,

I often worry if I put the bird in the kichen for there rutine cage cleaning about them chewing wallpaper, if there in the kitchen and supervised for a time there ok though but I would never leave them in there at all theres far to many risks in there,

I have a fairley new rug and didn't know about that :shock:

I shoo Sandy of it or just fold it up so he doesn't go about

running all over it or pecking at the tassles,

theres alot of precautions needed for these little ones but it's alway good to be safe then sorry, I was flamed on another site for cleaning my birds out to much they told me my birds would never ajust to germs or anything cos it was kept clean always is this correct?

I have been cleaning them everyday in the past but now I leave it 2days at a time before I change there cage bottoms and wash the whole cage!

As a mum of 7 birds love birds cockatiel and a cockatoo my mother has always warned me to be carefull all my birds are in the kitchen I do not own any non stick pans and only use eco friendly products and polishes only used in other rooms . When cooking both extractors are on and if any accidents happen ie with toast etc birddies are removed from room immediately as they are to precious you can never be to careful .

also never leave your bird unattended when cooking and never ever let them out to play when any appliances are on in the kitchen.

Before i was born,one of my uncle's brought back a parrot on the ship he was on from some tropical place,and gave it to one of my other uncle's. When i was about ten years old i went to stay with him for the summer holidays. 'Henry', lived for about 40 yrs,with my uncle who was out at work all day (parrot and dog left alone) smoked cigars (not henry,my uncle)and he and henry ate indian takaways every weekend,washed down with a giant turkey leg! 'henry' only seemed to eat sunflower seeds,and the rest of the time,he ate the same as my uncle. I am amazed he lived that long! Although i loved parrots,'henry' was not very friendly to me!

It appeared he had a happy life.

Nicotineoverdose wrote;-

'Henry', lived for about 40 yrs,with my uncle

depending on the type of parrot he could have been expected to live 60 - 80 years on a good diet and smoke free house and more human company :lol:

You must have a working kitchen - mine is more of an inconvenient use of space tagged onto the lounge - and who would think you could be too clean?! Happy christmas shopping for your cuties. :-)

lol I used to clean the cage out in the sitting room but cos the birds like to have a mad flap everynight, I have to wheel the cage into the kitchen then clean there spot up, I put a old duvet cover down on the carpet before the cage goes in ok it lasts a few days but not long from Seeds everywhere and teeny feathers haha

I always assumed if you kept them nice and clean then they would be more fit and healthy, ive had my birds since march and non have been to see a vet at all I must be doing something right in theory but maybe June could comment on this at all? :wink:

I don't have much room in my little flat ive not got a bedroom it's just the living room>kitchen>hall>bathroom but im on my own so it's big enough for the time being, and it's cheap to rent :)

I haven't a clue what to buy the Tiellys for Xmas but I think there gunna have alot of treats to eat, I may also give them a bit of turkey too :P

I love xmas , and cant wait to put up the tree and get the decorations out ...

Yesterday I popped into Asda with having 3 dogs the bird 2 kids and a man in the house i worry about it getting a little smelly ... so I thought what better to pick up some xmas cented candles and plug in .... Ive not used them or plugged them in yet , is this a BIG NO NO ? after reading this thread Im a little lost for what I can use ?

What would you all suggest to use to make the house semll nice ?

Also about perfume and aftershave , so no body on here wheres smellies ?

What about deodrant ?

and the mention of bleach ? I bleach my floors everyday ...... help ????.........